Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Good narrow booster for 6 y/o?

We have 3 across in a '01 Ford Focus ZTS and DS1 is almost out of his Intera.
    It will go to DS2 once he's outgrown the SafeSeat, and DS1 will then use DD's Radian (confused yet? ).

So, since a Regent will definitely not be fitting in our little car, what would be a good option for a booster for DD?
    She is 6 (b-day in Jan), and 49-50 lbs. She is 47" tall with a 16.5" torso measurement (not sure that matters with a booster though..).

DS2 is being cranky, so I'm gonna post this now. I'd really appreciate any input you gals could give me!
    7 y/o DD ~ Graco TurboBooster
    5 y/o DS1 ~ FF Radian 65
    3 y/o DS2 ~ FF Safety 1st Intera
    10 m/o DS3 ~ RF Graco SafeSeat

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Good narrow booster for 6 y/o?

Me again... I was doing a little poking around and realized that DS1 may actually be over the weight limit on his Intera.

What if I got the Radian 80 for DD and passed her Radian65 to DS1?
    Ugh, that one's really expensive though.

We can do it if/when we get those "economic stimulus" checks, but that won't be for several months yet I think (summer, right?).

So, I guess the question is: What should I be doing right now?

I do have a cheapo high-backed booster that I could use for DD, and give her Radian to DS right now.

Sorry, I feel like my posts are all over the place
    5 y/o DS1 ~ FF Radian 65

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Britax Parkway is a great narrow booster, I'd look at that. And for right NOW? Maybe the Intera will work as a booster and put middle kiddo in the Radian. I would NOT use the harness on the intera for even one more drive anywhere at 43 pounds. Radian 65 and 80 are the *same* seat, so no point buying the 80... www.dmartstores.com has 65's for $159
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member melniemi's Avatar

How much room does your dd have before her shoulders reach the top strap in the radian? The radian 80 has the same top strap height as the 65 - so you only gain weight advantage there. You could get another radian if you feel your dd won't sit right in a booster, or if she has a bit of growing room left. Then you could pass her radian down to baby when she outgrows it and get her a booster.

If you do want to get her a booster, I would consider the parkway. It is narrow, has good sip, and doesn't have armrests so it is easier to buckle next to a harnessed seat.

If you have enough room in your vehicle, you could also consider the Graco Nautilus. It has higher top slots than the radian and converts to a booster when necessary. It is wider though, so I don't know if it will fit. It is available at WalMart so you can easily return it if it doesn't work.

Yeah, we are totally maxed out on room, nothing wider than a Radian will fit at the moment.
    Though if the Intera is out of there I think I might get a few inches (I have it in without the base).

It looks like she has probably about an inch and a half or so till she reaches the top strap slots. I'm not sure how long that will take for her torso to grow that much.
    5 y/o DS1 ~ FF Radian 65