how tight should a rf tether be?

kellidarling

Do you pull it as tight as you possibly can or can/should it have some 'give' to it? I installed our new RA tonight (center w/ LATCH) and have it tethered under the front passenger seat. I had it pulled super tight, but I was worried about the seat being too reclined. Plus, since the tether is off center from the seat when I had it extra tight it looked like one side of the RA was being pulled down farther than the other...it just made the whole thing look wonky.
The manual says to "remove all slack" and "verify there is tension", but I'm not sure how much tension is enough tension...and it's making me tense :p.
Help please!

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I do it just enough to remove the slack with the MA, a little tighter in the RA to adjust the recline. I can't have it very tight in my mom's Taurus, because tightening the tether too much makes the whole seat slip and loosen (leather seats, PITA for car seats).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Definitely don't tighten it so much that it reclines your seat too much. It really doesn't have to be very tight at all, nothing at all like the LATCH or seatbelts, which should be as tight as a twangy guitar string :D

crunchierthanthou

What vehicle do you drive? Did you confirm in the owner's manual that you can use LATCH in the center? Not all vehicle allow it.

Like the others said, it needs to be taut so all the slack is out, but not so tight that it affects the recline or pulls it to the side. Overtightening the tether is actually linked to broken recline mechanisms.

kellidarling

What vehicle do you drive? Did you confirm in the owner's manual that you can use LATCH in the center? Not all vehicle allow it.

It's a 2003 Dodge Neon and the owners manual states that you can use either the center or both sides, just not all 3 at once.
I had her infant seat installed there also so I was comfortable with using the anchors, but I've never had to adjust a rear tether before.
Thanks!

crunchierthanthou

It's a 2003 Dodge Neon and the owners manual states that you can use either the center or both sides, just not all 3 at once.

perfect. :)

you also have to check your carseat owner's manual if the spacing between the center ones is not exactly 11". Britax allows non-standard spacing (between 11 and 20"), so you're all set.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC