Need car seat for grandma and DH

jewels2b

My mom takes my dd (9months old, 20lbs, 27") one day a week. She takes her shopping, out to lunch, all kinds of places. She had her own snugride but now we need to get her a convertable seat since Jessie is just about outgrown the snugride. My parents also watch my brothers kids (2 of them in boosters but he has a 13 month old who is on the light side but a little tall). So... time to get my mom her own seat. I need help with the decision. Money really isn't a factor. If the seat can last for her grandchildren for a while (I am going to have another child at some point) then we'd like to get a seat that can grow with them. However, ease of installation is the main factor here. My parents tend to not follow instructions well and hastily do things. They installed the snugride base totally wrong and I went off on them. They switch between vehicles so it won't just stay put in one car. They both have mercedes but my mom's is older and only 2 door. I don't think it has latch. My dad's is brandnew and a 4 door sedan so that one has latch and room for install. So, which seat would you recommend. I have the Marathon for my car but have yet to install it since dd is still in the snugride. For proper installation and moving of vehicles for those not so technically savvy, which seat would you recommend???

Then my next question is.... a seat for DH's truck. He has an 2003 GMC Sierra (it has a full back seat). We also need a seat that will be good for travel (airplane and rental cars). I'm considering the Radian for DH's car and for travel or would it be better to just get another Marathon? Which seats to DH's like better??? I most likely won't be traveling on an airplane with baby myself.

Thanks for all your help :D
-Julie

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
How about the Evenflo Triumph Advance for grandma. It rear faces to 35 lbs, so both kids could rear face. FF to 50 lbs.

For dad's car, both would be good. I like the Radian a little more, just because you can rear face longer. DH's truck has latch, so that makes things easier.

firemomof3

Is there any way you and grandma could go to BRU and try a few different seats in her car? Personally, I find the Britax seats very easy to install so thats what I would recommend. Maybe you should try our marathon in grandma's car and see how it goes? Then, if grandma is comfortable with how to secure it properly, I would recommend the Boulevard. Because you can easily switch from your child to your brother's child and easily adjust the harness without having to re-install the seat. :thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Britax seats would be great. For multiple kids I'd go for the Boulevard, make it easier for her to adjust the harness for each kid. My close second would be the Evenflo Triumph Advance.

As for your DH, the Radian would be great if it would fit. It's a big seat front to back. But it won't fit rear facing on a plane, so it'd be a while before you could comfortably travel with it safely. So you could 1) get a Radian and use the Marathon for travel which is easy to use rear facing on the plane, 2) get a Radian and buy a Scenera for travel, 3) get another Britax, 4) get a completely different seat.

Wendy

valleyfam

Not sure about your airplane travel seat I've never traveled with the kiddos by plane.

For Grandma I second the Boulevard if you don't mind spending the money. It's easy to install IMO but I would make sure your mom was comfortable with it. I agree if she's switching between 2 kids the adjustable harness can't be beat. No chance she'll mis thread straps or leave them to low or to high just save the aggravation of changing them. The blvd would have made it to 5y with my son who is on the big side. I only made the change at 4y9m to put his sister in the blvd.

Good luck!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The Radian doesn't install well rearfacing in an airplane, but you could use your MA on plane trips until you ff in a year or so.
Stefanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC