Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Can someone explain these crash test reviews?

its for the '98 expedition... I just got curious about what it all means.
    How safe is this vehicle? Is it normal to not test the 3rd row for side impact? considering we use the 3rd row full time... I am a little concerned.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1998/...dition/safety/

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Can someone explain these crash test reviews?

It's not just the 3rd row that wasn't tested for side impact, neither was the 1st or 2nd row. I don't believe the NHTSA did any side impact testing on SUV's in 1998. If you take a look at the NHTSA ratings for 1998 SUV's, you can see that none of them had any side impact testing done http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm?m...iew+1998++SUVs

hmmm... very true. thanks..
    So what about all the other stuff? It just seems that not a whole lot was done to test this vehicle.. of course I don't know how much is normally done to test a vehicle.

From what I can see, in 1998, side impact testing was only done on passenger cars. Not on vans, SUVs or trucks. Also, you won't see a rollover rating as they started doing that for for 2001 model years (but not every vehicle). It doesn't seem that the Expedition had any less testing done than other vehicles, I think it's just that there was less testing done in general in '98.

Also, from what I can tell, it doesn't seem as if the IIHS has tested any large SUVs (there's no Expedition, Tahoe, Navigator, and they don't list large SUVs as a class of vehicle with tests), only small and midsize. Not sure why.

I see this in their FAQ

Does NHTSA have crash data on vehicles made before 1990?
    NHTSA began frontal crash ratings in 1979, so there is crash information available on vehicles starting in that year. Information prior to 1990 is archived, and is not listed on the web. This data is available to consumers. Send an e-mail to crash.test@nhtsa.dot.gov with the year, make, and model of the vehicle to obtain the crash information.
    They do seem to list the '89 Expedition on the web, so not sure if they have any additional data, but it couldn't hurt to email them and ask. The won't have rollover ratings though, as I said, that wasn't started until '01.

Okay.. thanks for your help.

CPS Fanatic

IIHS tested the F150 pickup (1997-2003 generation), which the expedition is based on.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=7

not sure how much this applies to the expedition.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

One other thing, they did test the rollover rating of the Expedition in '01 and '02, and it got 2 stars It also got a 5 star frontal rating that year, and in '98 it was 4 star, so I am thinking that there were some changes from '98. They didn't test rollover again until '06 when the ratings were starting to get better, so must have been more changes then.

I guess my point is, the older generation Expeditions seem to have a high rollover rate.
    Last edited by TechnoGranola; 03-17-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by technogranola View Post
    I guess my point is, the older generation Expeditions seem to have a high rollover rating.
    So, that is a good thing then, right?

Man, the more I look into all this stuff the more freaked out I get!

Quote Originally Posted by ProudMomof5 View Post
    So, that is a good thing then, right?

Man, the more I look into all this stuff the more freaked out I get!
    I guess what I meant to say was high rollover RATE (not rating!). So, no, it's not exactly good. A 2 star rollover rating means it has a higher chance of rollover in an accident. 5 stars is the best, and an SUV can't get higher than 4 due to the higher centre of gravity than a car, so they will always have a higher chance of rollover than a car.