Is it worth it?

mcomommy

My second dd seems to be on her sisters growth curve (DD1 outgrew her seat rear facing at about 29 months) My question is it worth to buy another seat for only 2 more pounds of rear facing. I would not get the Scenera as it has no EPS foam so my cheapest option I think would be the Uptown. My husband does not think it is worth but I really wanted to get her to 3 years rear facing.

What would you do?

ADS

magoose

I would not as they can gain 2 lb over night. Anna

My second dd seems to be on her sisters growth curve (DD1 outgrew her seat rear facing at about 29 months) My question is it worth to buy another seat for only 2 more pounds of rear facing. I would not get the Scenera as it has no EPS foam so my cheapest option I think would be the Uptown. My husband does not think it is worth but I really wanted to get her to 3 years rear facing.

What would you do?

Ali

If the child is under 2, then I would probably get a 35lb weight limit seat.

Over 2, probably not.

I turned DD FF at 2 years, 9 months because she was 31.8lbs. I turned her back RF at 3 years because she had lost a few ounces and complained constantly about her legs when FF.

Well since your siggy says you're expecting another little one, I don't think it would hurt, as the next one can use it when he/she outgrows the SS1 or it could be an extra seat for either of the kids. That's what we do. Everyone has a dedicated seat in my van, but they rarely ride with dad, so whoever does uses the seat that's in his truck.

mcomommy

I am buying a Regent for my older dd this Sept of Feb (during the sales) so the baby already has a dedicated MA waiting for him or her. I think my dh just does not really want to spend $$$ on another seat for two pounds when we are about to shell out a little over 200.00 on one as it is.

Thanks for your comments though :)

mcomommy

Yeah on paper it makes sense to me too, but I just read a story about a 2.5 year old who was internally decapitated in her 5 point harness. So I got freaked about the whole their spine being fused by three thing. She is not even 33 pounds yet but that story just got me thinking.

Ack, I hate it when I read stuff like that. There is a line though, at least in my home, between safety and honoring dh. Of course I wouldn't unsafely honor his wishes, but there are a lot of things that "slide" when he drives that don't when I do. I might read the article to him and share my concerns, as I have before, but in this house the response I'd get is "If you're THAT concerned about it, quit driving" - so I generally don't bring it up. They ride RF with me if they can.

I think for now you should just wait. Her growth may end up being different and I've noticed it takes them FOREVER to grow that last inch or gain that last pound - sometimes, anyways.

mcomommy

Yeah I probably will wait, I would never buy the seat if he did not want me to or push it if he really was against it but right now we are just discussing it and the pros and cons. So I figured I would see what other people who are really into car seats would do.

abharrington

also, keep in mind that there is nother magical about the day she turns 3. every child develops at a different rate. i wouldn't trouble youself over 1 story. you are clearly making wise choices to keep your children safe, but ultimatly you can't protect them from everything. so many factors are simply out of your control. i read a very sad story about an 8 year old that drowned in the bath tub at home, but do you think that means i will spend every minute of every bath with my dd until she turns nine? no. i would go with your hubby. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC