Regent question.

U

Unregistered

Hi. I am Kristy, this is such a wonderful site! I have been lurking for a day as I search for a new car seat for my 8 month daughter. Currently, I have my 2.5 year old in a DC but I just called Britax yesterday and they are actually replacing the seat entirely due to the harness not able to tighten with ease. So, I really didn't have a dilemma before that, I was going to get a MA for my 8 month old and keep my 2.5 year old in her DC. Now that I am getting a new DC (yay for 6 more years) I am torn weather or not to get a MA and keep my 2.5 year old in the DC or get a Regent for my 2.5 year old and put my 8 month in the DC. WWYD?

Thanks in advance.

ADS

Momof4Girls

How big is your 2.5 y/o? FF or RF? A 2.5 y/o may not fit in a Regent well yet, and if she is under 33lbs, she can still RF in the DC! Can your 8mo fit in the infant seat for a little while yet? What seat is the 8mo in?

Raechel

Raechel

U

Unregistered

She is really small, she is only about 24lbs and 34 inches. I know she can still RF but she has been FF for so long now. Unfortunately in Massachusetts, where we used to live, the nurses at the pediatricians practically said 20# and after a year and they can FF, no mentioning that they CAN stay RF. I did, however, keep her RF until she was almost 18 months, still probably not long enough. My 8 month is in a Combi Connection, she probably has about a month left in it, so I don't have to "jump" yet. I am worried about my 2.5 year old not fitting well in the Regent because she is so skinny. If I put my 2.5 RF now, she would flip, I know she wouldn't have a choice but my DH probably would think it is a bit weird as well.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
She is really small, she is only about 24lbs and 34 inches. I know she can still RF but she has been FF for so long now. Unfortunately in Massachusetts, where we used to live, the nurses at the pediatricians practically said 20# and after a year and they can FF, no mentioning that they CAN stay RF. I did, however, keep her RF until she was almost 18 months, still probably not long enough. My 8 month is in a Combi Connection, she probably has about a month left in it, so I don't have to "jump" yet. I am worried about my 2.5 year old not fitting well in the Regent because she is so skinny. If I put my 2.5 RF now, she would flip, I know she wouldn't have a choice but my DH probably would think it is a bit weird as well.

My now 3.5yr old dd was ff'ing from 18mos until 30mos. I decided to "trial" turning her back rf'ing since I really hadn't wanted to ff her in the first place. (story for a different thread.)

She was kind of shocked and a bit scared to get in her seat at first, but our first trip out was to mcdonald's for a treat, and that was motivation enough. :eek: After the initial hesitancy, she had no complaints at all and rf'ed until she hit the rf'ing weight limit of her seat 4.5mos later.

So I just wanted to say, it can be done. And kids are more flexible than we sometimes give them credit for. My dd has always been very verbal, so we would've known if she hated it. When she went back ff'ing, she kept telling us she was riding backwards. It's been 10mos now, and she still sometimes tells us she's riding backwards. LOL.

So yes, it's ultimately your decision and she is 2.5yrs old, but I just wanted to say don't automatically rule it out based on her age or the amount of time she's been ff'ing already. :thumbsup:

(Sorry I don't have time to respond to the other part of your questions.)

ginny4

i tested out my ds in the seat. he's 2om, 29lb & 34.5in. it actually isn't all THAT bad. there is ALOT of space between him & the crotch buckle. a good 2inches. tho i recently checked my DD & she also has quite a bit of space about an in or so too . she doesn't have a problem with sliding forward like i thought would happen
my kids run tall (especially legs) & my 9 yo still FIT it!! so it might be overkill oh forgot to add: the harness was set for my DD so they are too high he would need the 2nd from bottom slot
carseat013.jpg

Momof4Girls

This is my 2 y/o (23lbs, 31.5") taken just for fun at BRU, on the lowest harness setting. She is currently RF in a Wizard :)

My 3.5 y/o asks if she can ride "upside down" (RF). She was FF for a long time (caved, she was even in a booster for a little while! *gape*), and I decided to try her RF just for grins...she loved it. She has, unfortunately, "weighed" out of the seat RF (over 33lbs).

My (skinny!) 5 y/o is in a Regent now. She's plenty tall enough, but she's on the narrow side for her height...she still is comfy in it. She's 44" (or so), and 38ish lbs.

Raechel

Last edited:

Chris920

If your child sleeps much in the car you may be dissapointed in the sleep support. My 37lb 5yo is so just too far away from the sides to sleep comfortably. Also, my seat is very upright, if it were reclined more maybe that woudn't be a problem. My 26lb 28mo old is lost in the seat and I'm seriously considering getting another MA for the 5yo.

U

Unregistered

Thanks everyone, again. I ended up seeing my friend's Regent and measured it and bottom line...it is way too big for my car. It will fit with my infant seat or the DC RF but will not fit another MA if I have another child. Plus, it did look like it would swallow her. Thanks all again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC