Update on premie

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
She is still not breathing on her own & not sucking yet ... but she is up to 3 pounds 3 ounces now & is doing OK after heart surgery! :eek: Her DOB is September 19th 2005 & her name is Elfadinne Raelynn - I think Mom has a thing for 9 letter names: Demetrius-11 & Janaishia-7 & now Elfadinne :p No word on when she'll be coming home yet, but mom is pumping EMB for her :)

ADS

j4m4d8

So happy the surgery went well! Surgery can slow their growth a bit, but obviously, it's usually a great thing to have any problems taken care of.

((Hugs)) to Elfadinne. How do you say her name? I have nine letter names for my kids, too, but much more boring--Alexander and Katherine. Dh and I had a hard time finding names we could both tolerate. :eek: The name does become the child though.

Julie

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Here's the info on origin/meaning....

Pronounced like Elf-ah-deen & I think Elf is so appropriately cute for a premie! :D
  • ELFA: either "elfin" (Germanic) or "ripples in a stream" (Icelandic) or meaning unknown (Irish).
  • ELFEDDA: from the Old English name Æðelflæd which means "noble beauty" from æðel "noble" combined with flæd "beauty".
  • ELFADINNA: Gentle, affectionate and tolerant you are nonetheless determined and ambitious with the ability to lead. Sympathetic and understanding you are a humanitarian who wishes to improve the lives of others less fortunate. You have a keen intellect, strong intuition and creative ideas which are always put to practical purpose. You are loved by others for your inspiring optimism and for being a genuine friend.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Well, Elf does seem like an appropriate name for a 3 lb baby. ;) Not sure I'd want to do that to a 7th grader, though. Junior high is the WORST for kids who have "weird" names. Not that I know anything about that. :D

KeikiHula

Elf is so cute!!! But yeah, she's gonna get teased....lol
That is AWESOME that her mom is pumping so she can have breastmilk. That will help her sooooo much. Since she's still not sucking, are they tube feeding her with the BM?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, but mixed with forumal because mom is having a really hard time getting enough EMB ... but at least she's doing it! :) :) :)

KeikiHula

I totally understand not being able to pump much. When Morgan was a baby, I had so much milk he would gag and it would run out of his mouth (and it wasn't overactive let down, this would be all the way through the feeding lol), and yet I could only pump an oz or less, even if I was engorged.
Any little bit she can give Elf is going to help. Preemie milk is way different than full term milk. I had to pump and suppliment Morgan until he was six weeks old and he finally figured out how to nurse. It was really hard (and he wasn't in the hospital all the time either) and I wanted to give up so many times, but in the end it was well worth it and he ended up nursing until he was almost 2. So if she really wants to BF, encourage her as much as you can to just stick with the pumping until Elf can nurse. Even if it seems like she's hardly getting anything, any little bit she's giving her is helping her to get stronger, and once she can nurse, she will be able to get her supply up in just a few days.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Baby Elfie

She was transferred to our county a week or 2 ago ... has been gaining well & starting to suck on her own. Mom called me last night to say that on Monday they're doing the carseat test to see if she can go home :D They have an Evenlfo infant carrier 5-point seat to make it through this winter & after that she's looking forward to using the Boulevard & Wizard :)

KeikiHula

YAY!! Do you know what weight she's up to? I forget, how early was she? Was her mom able to pump enough to keep her milk up? Can she nurse yet?
So full of questions...I know...LOL Premies just facinate me.
I hope her carseat tests goes well so she can come home soon!!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
  • Do you know what weight she's up to?
  • I forget, how early was she?
  • Was her mom able to pump enough to keep her milk up?
  • Can she nurse yet?
  • Not sure what her weight is, but Mom bought the Evenflo Embrace 5-22# & is happy with the Wizard/Boulevard being 5-33# RF
  • Mom was about 27 weeks when Elfie was born
  • Not sure about the pumping either, sorry
  • I didn't ask if she's nursing from the breast, but last I heard mom took time off work again, spending it with Elfie in the hospital - she did also say that they wouldn't even do the carseat test until baby was beginning to suck from a bottle on her own ... she also said that she'd probably be given a machine to monitor her breathing/seizures JIC
I'm trying not ask too many questions; at this point I'm just trying to offer support & encouragement although I'm also full of curiosity ;)

Dawn

That is wonderful news!! I am so happy for her. Preemies have such a hard job when they are early. Ever effort uses precious calories.
I hope she is able to bring her home soon!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
SO am I :) I already gave them all our baby items (playpen/basinet, clothes, books, highchair, toys, blankies, etc.) & will be giving them our Wizard/Boulevard next spring/summer, but I wanted to do something more now that baby is home ... do you think it'd be weird to buy them a subscription to http://www.yourpreemie.com/ :confused: :eek:

KeikiHula

Personally, I would love a subscripition to that magazine. In fact, I may get one. ;) I really want to become a doula and I absorb anything about pregnancy, birth, babies ect...

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hehe - yeah, I get the online newsletter myself ;) I'm also a member of ICEA - will be the Childbirth Educator at my fiance's new private practice (OBGYN) :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Not in a carseat ... but here's Elfie!

2005fall9-19ElfadinneRaelynn.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC