LATCH

mish

Ok, so tell me I am not crazy. You do have to use the lower anchors and tether together right? You can't use just the LA? I just checked a car seat and the mom only had the LA latched. I explained that you have to use both and she told me the last place she had it checked told her you didn't have to. I hear this from parents all the time! I feel a little silly even posting this, but it is driving me crazy! I explained to the mom that she should use the tether even if she is installing with the seatbelt, but she looked at me like I was crazy. When she left, she had both the LA and the top tether hooked.

ADS

Mama2J

I have never heard that you *have* to use both. You can use the tether by itself, so why not the other way around? I would tether anyway because it's safer though.

crunchierthanthou

I feel your frustration. :(

Yes, you should. LATCH is one whole system. I've seen the requirement in several carseat manuals. If using the lower anchors, you must use the tether. Really, it's silly not to. If a seating position has LA, it has a tether anchor.

southpawboston

when we went to our first seat-check, we were also told that the top tether is optional, and that all seats have to pass testing without them (is this true?).

but then again, this was the same tech who did a center-LATCH install of our evenflo triumph (not allowed) in our hyundai elantra (also not allowed) :eek:.

mish

Thanks. I am frustrated about misuse in general today, this was just the latest thing!

crunchierthanthou

okay, skimming the LATCH and CPS manuals- it's not mandatory across the board. Like I said, some CRs require top tether if you're using LAs. and really, there aren't many reasonable arguments against using it if the anchor is there.

Also, I'm going to correct myself. LAs do not necessarily guarantee a top tether anchor. Some vehicles (convertibles, specifically) may not have TAs.

mish

Thanks everyone. I was told in my tech class that you had to use both. I still don't understand why you wouldn't. I think it is just laziness on the part of the mother I was helping today. She said, "If you want to climb up in that van and do it, fine, but I'm not". I was really cranky by the time I got done. The only reason I was nice is that she is due to have a baby any day. I checked the new baby's seat and her older child's.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LA only has the same crash results as a lap belt...it's technically ok, because Top anchors aren't 'THE LAW', so I guess even techs don't seem to think they are necessary (but that leaves me a little :confused:, like all the other issues with SPB's first seat check, lol)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC