MA / Nautilus / Regent

Chris920

So is it agreed that you can definitely harness to a greater height in a Nautilus than a Marathon? Is the only thing higher than a Nautilus a Regent?
I just don't think I want to fight the Regent recline issue and am guessing that the Nautilus is my next best choice?
Thanks so much!

ADS

MomToEliEm

The safeguard is suppose to be taller then the nautilus (19") but at $400, it isn't always the most recommended seat. The recaro como is also suppose to have 19" slots, but I haven't seen older kids in this seat (I think it is too narrow for older kids and it sits on a pedestal that older kids don't like). Besides those, the nautilus (18.5") and regent (20", though maybe new measurements are showing 19") is about all that's left.

Last edited:

arly1983

The Como measures at 19 inches but for some reason doesn't fit most kids like that and like the previous poster said, it is narrow in the shoulders.

We tried out a Safeguard and it does have true 19 in top slots but is pricey.

So the Nautilus has the highest top slots, easiest to find locally to try out, and is resonably priced so it is recommended alot.

ginny4

between the 3 original choices. the rgent & GN aren;t THAT much different in harness height. folks say about .5in or so.
i think alot needs to factored in when choosin between the GN & regent & the ones i can think of is.....do you have tethers available (regent requires), can you install eithe rone in your vehicle, do you have enough room to have a regent? do you need to be able to have FAA approved (regent isn't), & how wide are your child's shoulders? (GN is very narrow)....
personally i like the regent better dispite all the possible instal issues. it actually was one of my easiest instals. my kids are broad (i guess) so the GN was a problem for long term use. - tested older boys almost 8 & 9yo who can still use the booster
i have a slideshow of my DD in 4 differnet seats at the smae age & size so if your inetrested in seeing that click: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/lundtv/?action=view&current=d2659fcc.pbw

Chris920

You gals are just awesome! I checked out the Como and Safeguard and do think I like the GN better. I actually HAVE a beautiful Madison Regent, dom 1/08. It installs perfectly...I have LATCH in that location. My custom van seats are so level that he slides into the crotch strap. I need more recline. My son is very small...14.5 torso, 10.5 shoulder width, 37lbs at five years old. He fits very nicely in the top slots of his sister's MA and could go 18mo to two years in that for all I know. I'm thinking I should try the GN before I get rid of the Regent, but even my 8yo stretched her toe to the floor to brace herself in the Regent during a short ride (unbuckled) on our property. Although he does seem too small for the Regent, the problem we have will not be corrected by his getting bigger.
And no, he's not girly by any stretch, but yes, HE chose the Madison pattern! lol We all know about Regent fashion. I wanted the Huntington and would not buy Sahara or Onyx and He wanted COLOR!
Thanks again, it helps SO much to get real advice based on experience! The slide show is great!

Last edited:

firemomof3

Just to add to the discussion; I bought a Regent for my tall 4.5 y/o and it fit her beautifully, but I couldn't install it in my minivan and with it being so huge and heavy, I sold it and went with the GN. I was a little skeptical because I LOVE the Britaxs so much but the GN has worked out awsome. I have installed it in 4 different vehicles, all with tight easy installs. Its light enough to take on the plane and it has plenty of growing room. Here are some picturs of my 4.5 y/o in it:
Nautiluskids002.jpg

Plenty of growing room
Nautiluskids001.jpg

My 2y/o had to try it!! But she is still RF in an Uptown
Nautiluskids004.jpg

Chris920

A few questions for firemom...does your daughter use it with the head rest that high up or was it raised to show slot height? Does the head rest push her head forward? And, last but not least, lol, did you take a loss selling your Regent?
I feel really presured to make a decision soon so I don't take more of a loss on the Regent than I have to. Also, using a Marathon for the last 18mos made me sure I'd never use another brand of seat so I REALLY appreciate the feedback. I'm thinking the GN is the perfect answer, just wish I'd had an open mind before I bought the Regent.:(

firemomof3

Ya, thats the way the headrest is because if it were down 1 notch closer to her shoulders, it presses on her shoulders. When she sleeps her head does tend to bob forward or off to the side. When she was in the Regent it did the same thing. The only seat that I've found that truly supports a sleeping head is the Recaro Young Sport, but I wouldn't recommend it because the harness is only rated up to 40lbs. I loved the Regent so if it works for you then thats good, but if not then I think that the GN is an excellent choice :twocents:

courtfrog2

I have both the regent and the nautilus. My 3 year old doesn't fit good in the regent. She hates it. She slides down like you mentioned. My 7, 8, and 9 year olds fit perfectly in the Regent. The 9 year old has another 1/2 inch so he's almost done. My 8 year old and 7 year old fit fine in the Nautilus too. I usually put the one that is smaller in weight (The 8 year old is 55lbs compared to the 7 year old who is 60lbs but shorter). The nautilus I think goes to 52inches and the Regent goes to 53. After 53 inches, you'll need to buy a booster because in our state it's 57 inches usually. The nautilus, after 52 inches you can use as a booster... which is a big plus for me.

Good luck!

I'll trade your Regent for our nautilus.. :whistle: I really want a pink one!

courtfrog2

OOPs... forgot to add that our 7 year old just outgrew the Marathon that we have. Her shoulders are pretty much AT the harness last time I checked. She is around 49inches. So, you probably have a ways to go on the Marathon.

Mama2J

You've already gotten some good advice. We have both the Regent and GN and I'll post comparison pics. He's at or just above the second to bottom slots on both (I have them set on second to top slots), and has almost the same amount of room in both. I don't have a Marathon, but I've tried one in the store, and IIRC he's even with the second to top slots.

Nautilus - It looks like he has more room here than he does, because it's not installed yet and he's in just thin pajamas.
IMG_5664.jpg

Regent - Right after I had moved the straps up.
IMG_5492.jpg

Chris920

Well I finally bought a nautilus 2 wks ago. After looking at all your pictures, I was sure the headrest would push his head forward too much. Then, when I least expected it, my Walmart had the Nauti in stock. Not sure why I was on that isle...I had thoroughly played with the demo the week before. Well, we were going to be out late that night so I was sure he would fall asleep on the way home and I thought I could get my answer in one day. He faked it ALL the way home! I still don't know how he will sleep in it. It did not work for his 29 month old at all after she fell asleep. Like everyone else, I like everything about the GN. Britax def. seems sturdier and if this does not work, I'll be getting another MA. In any case, the Regent must go. Is Craigslist best for that?
Thanks again for all the help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC