You have GOT to be kidding me - new Regent manual

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Britax has a new Regent manual posted on their web site, effective with DOM 2/19/08. :eek: I haven't looked through it, but from what I understand the change specifically deals with whether to route the straps under or over the cover. (Don't remember the details.)

http://www.britaxusa.com/support/userguides.aspx

OK, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Regent, but good grief, can they make it any more confusing for parents to figure out the "rules"?!?

(And seriously, how much difference could under/over the cover make?)

ADS

groovymom2000

Man, that is a PITA! I have had Britax seats for a long time, including a Husky. I'm fairly well skilled at installing seats, and always read my manual. That Regent manual has evolved into the most convoluted piece of instruction that I have ever seen. I just read it, and I was thoroughly irritated with it before I got through the instructions! No wonder parents have issues with installing that beast. :thumbsdown: If there was an "ease of use" rating for that seat(no matter who was rating it) it would fail. Blech!

HEVY

Why are there so many different ways to install this seat. Why is LBP only used up to 40lbs, why can't it hold a higher weight? Why isn't SBP safe for a lower weight? It doesn't make sense. As for the LBP and recline bar, all the seats are the same so how important are these updated manuals.

MyBeachBabies

The new Regent Manual also says the tether must be used in the lap/shoulder belt short route installation.

WARNING! The Versa-Tether must be used
at all times in this mode of installation. Check
your vehicle owner’s manual for designated tether
anchor locations.

Morganthe

I'm comparing the manual to my pre-June 17 2007 'original version'

So far --

Omitted: graphic image of rfing seat and a warning against placing in front of airbags on pg 3.

The safety Information pages 4-5 have been adjusted and the Weight Range graphic moved to the next section.

There's registration information, but no urging to "Fill out the registration card and mail it today."

Added a kid's face to the weight range graphic instead of a rough caracature.
p7.

"Child restraint features" photo page #12 changed from
"Perma-Book (under cover)
to
"User guide, Manufacture date, and serial number (under cover)"

Vehicle Compatibility section has much more graphic colors to emphasize locations in vehicles.

Definitely makes it much clearer for those who have reverse passenger seats. :shrug-shoulders:

And then the real differences begin :eek:

Long route - LATCH -- MUST BE UNDER THE COVER and OVER the harness straps.
Well, that's one question finally answered :shrug-shoulders:
Must also be inside the recline bar. IN fact, that's stated in all positions.

Next section is 3pt seatbelt LBP.
Britax is actually authorizing the use of a "rubber mallet to tap the recline bar in" :eek:

They also say now that the 3pt LBP must be threaded OVER the cover and outside the recline bar.

3pt Seatbelt -- SBP -- UNDER the cover

Lap Belt -- Install UNDER the cover.
LBP AND SBP

----
Instructions on pg 29 on how to beat your Recline Bar into submission and demonstrating how the belts are to be seated on each side of it.

Pg 31 -- Bright red box warning that HUGS must be used at all times. Repeated again on the next page :thumbsup:

Care page has highlighted red text on what not to do. They say to handwash it, but it's not a red mandate :p

That's it. Basically the changes make it more visual on what to do for each installation.

I believe the reason why they have the 3pt installation OVER the cover is due to the varying differences of where the top part of the belt emerges in vehicles.

Personally, I'm leaving mine where it is (under cover) since it's just over the back of the seat on the rear dash. Having the cover over the belt makes the seat fit snugger in my car. It bunches terribly if I use it over and I'm not certain how much is fabric vs. tight belt connection. But if I moved it to outboard, it would be better connection if I had it over the seat cover. :shrug-shoulder: I also run into difficulty if I used the rb because my belts would be on the inside of the bar. Go figure. :shrug-shoulders: (sigh) dang thing is still better than a booster seat. I'm sure of it. Right? :confused:

MyBeachBabies

Actually is says the tether must be used for the LATCH short belt path installation as well. It is just highly recommended for the lap belt until the child hits 50 then the tether must be used from 50-80 lbs.

Momof4Girls

The new Regent Manual also says the tether must be used in the lap/shoulder belt short route installation.

My 10/07 Regent says that (how new are you talking about? The 2/19/08?).

I'm not seeing a HUGE difference in the manuals? The "new" instructions appear to be how I installed mine...This just looks like it is more "specific" in the directions.

Am I missing something?

Raechel

Morganthe

I'm not seeing a HUGE difference in the manuals? The "new" instructions appear to be how I installed mine...This just looks like it is more "specific" in the directions.

yep, I'd say only 'more specific' in a clearer, yet confusing way. :p

The real difference is the cover issue with over/under and where the connections are in relation to the recline bar and harness straps.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My 10/07 Regent says that (how new are you talking about? The 2/19/08?).

Am I missing something?

Raechel

I do see they just addded a new manual to thier user guides. I think they are very similar.

Mama2J

Oh no, not another new manual! I wonder if they are mailing these to everyone. And here I had just mastered all the gazillion ways to install this thing!

So - LBP LATCH must go under the cover and inside the recline bar, so I have to fix both of those issues, or switch it to LBP seatbelt

And - SBP LATCH inside recline bar (that hasn't changed)

Am I understanding that right? I'm going to look at the new manual. :confused:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Oh no, not another new manual! I wonder if they are mailing these to everyone. And here I had just mastered all the gazillion ways to install this thing!

So - LBP LATCH must go under the cover and inside the recline bar, so I have to fix both of those issues, or switch it to LBP seatbelt

And - SBP LATCH inside recline bar (that hasn't changed)

Am I understanding that right? I'm going to look at the new manual. :confused:

The new maunuals are only for seats with a DOM of 02/19/2008-current, so you will not be getting one. The other manual is for seat with a DOM prior to 02/19/2008.

All the seats basically have 2 manuals now.

groovymom2000

And people are sad at the possibilty they might discontinue this beast?

:yeahthat::ROTFLMAO:

I'm just glad that there are now other HWH options to recommend. Given all of the new "rules" with the Regent, it is certainly NOT the first HWH seat that I recommend anymore. I think it served it's purpose, but I also think that there can be better out there. :twocents:

Mama2J

Ok I've read the new manual. The belt is still routed outside the recline bar for LBP LATCH and seatbelt, and inside the recline bar for SBP LATCH and lapbelt (outside for lap/shoulder).

So the only thing that has changed is the LATCH belt being routed under the cover for LBP. But I don't have to change it because it's only for the new DOM seats. That doesn't make much sense to me but I'll go with it.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Actually is says the tether must be used for the LATCH short belt path installation as well.

Just wanted to clarify that if you're using LATCH - regardless of the belt path or the weight of the child - you MUST use the top tether, because that's the T in LATCH. :)

Morganthe

The new maunuals are only for seats with a DOM of 02/19/2008-current, so you will not be getting one. The other manual is for seat with a DOM prior to 02/19/2008.

All the seats basically have 2 manuals now.

Yeah, that's how this mess started last year around Junish too.
Pre-June and Post Jun 18th versions.

2 manuals went down to a single NEW version to apply to EVERY Regent.

Then after the ensuing anger of frustrated parents and techs, Britax backpedaled and said if you had a pre-June 17, 07 seat, you could choose to remain with the older manual or accept the changes for the newer ones.

I have a strong feeling if I lose my pre-17 June manual, I can't get a replacement for that edition. :(

So just get ready for Regent, part deux 2008 to happen. :whistle: I bet it will. :mad:

Alright so i was afraid of the frontier but after reading this forget this regent. i'll take the frontier no matter how ugly it is. i'm getting a headache from you guys with this manual and i haven't even tried to install one. gee i installed a super elite last year and don't remember all these issues. geez britax i think you overthought this seat too much...and now have confused everyone who owns one.

theannex2

Then after the ensuing anger of frustrated parents and techs, Britax backpedaled and said if you had a pre-June 17, 07 seat, you could choose to remain with the older manual or accept the changes for the newer ones.

I'm a new member of these forums, and I think I just jumped for joy on reading this! Seriously? Since I have a 2006 Regent I can use the original manual and not the new "update" when they sent out the new straps from that recall????

If I am remembering correctly, this means I can ditch that %*^%^! recline bar, yes? Or is there some caveat on that part? I have a 43+ lb DD, and the seat is installed using a lap/shoulder belt and tether, if that makes a difference. It's not that I can't get a good install with the recline bar, but the loss of legroom in an already tight spot is annoying the heck out of her.

Thanks for any words of wisdom on this,

-Anne, mom to:
DD (4 yo, 44 in, 43 lb) currently FF in Regent and MA (almost outgrown).
DS (2 mo old) RF in RA and infant seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm a new member of these forums, and I think I just jumped for joy on reading this! Seriously? Since I have a 2006 Regent I can use the original manual and not the new "update" when they sent out the new straps from that recall????

Yup, a pre-6/18/07 seat can use whatever works best. LBP with recline, SBP without recline, LBP to 80 pounds, whatever works.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC