Britax Roundabout - rear to fwd LATCH???

U

Unregistered

Hello -

I am trying to switch my child's seat from rear to forward facing. I must be missing something - The manual says to place straps in the forward facing position. How do you get the LATCH strap out from the rear facing position? There is a loop holding the LATCH strap in place (it's too small to get the LATCH strap through), so I can't get it out from under the seat cover...

Does this sound right to you?

E

ADS

scatterbunny

I think when it says to place straps in the forward-facing position, they mean to raise up the harness straps to 'at or above' your child's shoulders. ;)

I could be wrong, though!

How old/tall/heavy is the child? What vehicle is the seat going in?

U

Unregistered

She just turned one a month ago, is 22 lbs - tall for her age, too, though I don't know the exact measurement right now. It's going in a Toyota 4Runner.

My problem is the LATCH strap, not the shoulder harness. I can't get the strap (that has both LATCH thingies on the ends) OUT from under the seat cover. Seems very strange to me...

Ellen

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Honestly, you don't need to worry about turning her at all yet - it is ideal to wait until she reaches the maximum weight limit of the seat (33 pounds, I believe) ... RF is so much safer that some countries require it past 3 years old & there has never been a single recorded case of leg/foot injruy because of extended RF - click the 2nd line link in my signature to see more kids who remain RF past the minimum guideline ;)

scatterbunny

(rear-facing seat, installed properly--it's a Britax, so it's tethered while rear-facing) http://www.britax.fi/quicktime/TWoh200.AVI

(forward-facing seat, installed properly) http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_...videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosipriori.mpg

There really is a big difference in the amount of strain put on a child's neck/bones when forward-facing. The American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended for a few years now to keep babies rear-facing as long as they still fit rear-facing in their convertible carseat. Britax convertibles rear-face to 33 pounds in the US.

If you insist on keeping her forward-facing, make sure to top-tether the seat. In countries that routinely turn babies forward-facing as soon as they reach 20 pounds, top-tethering greatly reduces the chances of serious injury.

I hope someone can come along quickly with the answer to your original question about the LATCH straps. I've never had to install a seat with LATCH, since all my vehicles are older than dirt. :p

U

Unregistered

Thank you SO much for enlightening me. I am off to check the rear facing height and weight limits for the Roundabout. Many many thanks.

Ellen

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
33 pounds and the head being even with the top of the seat :)

But now I'm wondering, how DO we get that LATCH strap from the RF to the FF position?!?!?!? We'll have to figure it out by next year or so when she has to Forward Face... the manual is really no help?

I have a Roundabout, and on my seat, you can pull the latch strap out, pulling it out on the side with the "loop"...then you just thread it through the back where you would put the seat belt if you were using it.

Does that make sense?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh good...I guess they thought it was so obvious they didn't describe it in the manual? I wish they would, though (since I don't HAVE a roundabout!)

:)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Gosh I wish I wasn't so lazy right now I would go check my manual for our RA, because I think remember reading how to switch them from rf to ff. I *believe* if my memory is serving me correctly that one LATCH connector is for the drivers side and vise versa. So if you are already using LATCH rf then you thread the LATCH connector and strap back up thru the little slot they come out of and then pull the other one up from the oppsite side and then switch the side they come out of. It was pretty easy when I did it to install mine. If anyone wants me to check my manual and post what it says let me know and I can do that today once I get some of that needed energy. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC