Are OHS' legal?

JerseyGirl'sMama

I have been seeing a lot of these in cars around town lately? I didn't think they were legal (I know they're not safe.) Can anybody tell me the current laws about them?

ADS

MomToEliEm

I am still seeing the OHS seats for sale in the stores so they are legal. They pass all the federal testing so they are allowed. They might not be as safe as a 5-point seat, but they are still considered safe (though maybe not for a baby whose face is right in front of the shield). Even shield boosters are still legal (if not yet expired), though luckily they aren't made now so they are slowly getting out of circulation.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, still legal, still for sale, still popular, still meet all FMVSS 213 regulations. (well, probably not ALL the ones you see in cars do! But they are still on store shelves...)

Sad, huh? :(:thumbsdown:

MomToEliEm

I'm sorry: I was typing too quickly to be clear. I meant that it's still legal to manufacture and sell new OHS seats but not shield boosters.

Shield boosters were never made illegal in the US. They still passed all front impact testing that was done on them to pass federal regulations. All the medical organizations put out info on them saying they were not recommended, but there never was anything official making them illegal. They can still be used today since some of the later ones haven't expired yet. Hopefully though everyone is learning the dangers and choosing not to use them.

Mom2One+One

Yes they are legal and "I" personally would rather see a child in a well-installed OHS seat than a poorly-installed 5pt. Yes, there are better choices out there, but in most situations, they are certainly better than nothing.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
OHS/tray shield seats are legal, yes, but definitely not best practice. :(

mominabigtruck

Yes they are legal and "I" personally would rather see a child in a well-installed OHS seat than a poorly-installed 5pt. Yes, there are better choices out there, but in most situations, they are certainly better than nothing.

I absolutely hate to see babies in them but I'm ok with a ffing toddler. Especially for older cargivers, grandparents people like that that don't understand how a 5pt works or have problems tightening or fastening a harness. It may not be the best but its a matter of best case scenerio in real life.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I absolutely hate to see babies in them but I'm ok with a ffing toddler. Especially for older cargivers, grandparents people like that that don't understand how a 5pt works or have problems tightening or fastening a harness. It may not be the best but its a matter of best case scenerio in real life.

:yeahthat:

fyrfightermomma

I can't believe I am saying this but there are times I have seroiusly considered an OHS seat for my kids for the grandparents. No matter how much time I spend trying to show them and teach them, they just cannot get a 5 pt harness correct. One shoulder is always hanging out or they don't tighten it, or the straps are a complete twisted mess when I get them back. I know they are used to OHS seats from when I was little and they are slightly easier. Just plop the kid in, pull the sheild down, and tighten. Nothing to really screw up. Am I horrible for thinking about this???

no your not horrible honestly you haev to look at it like this. even though OHS are not the preferred choice they do meet all standards and if your childs head is high enough not to collide face first into the shield they are an option. also think is a 5pt harness that is loose with the chest clip halfway down there chest and straps all twisted really safer then that OHS. at least you child won't be thrown out of the seat. older grandparents just aren't able to understand how the 5 pt works and how and where everything has to be. unless they have the child every day how can you expect them to remember. its like you bucklling a wheelchair into a van you can be shown but chances are if you only do it once in a while or once or twice a month you are bound to forget something. personally since my oldest is 4.5 almost i have gotten her used to telling my mil what to do. she put her own straps on and makes sure they aren't twisted and buckles her chest clip. then mil buckles the bottom and mydd pulls the chest clip up to the right spot. i put i mark with permanent marker on the harness so she knows exactly where. my dd also tells her that she can't wear her winter coat. mil says she will get sick i said put it on her backwards or give her a blanket i'd rather a sick kid then a dead kid

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC