Which Rental Vehicle?

K

knox2350

My family and I will be traveling for 2 weeks to Hawaii next Spring. We have 3 children ages then: 7, 5 1/2, and 2 1/2. My question is for those of you having SUV's. I am considering renting one, as the Minivan has so little luggage room behind the seats (we have a totoya Sienna at home). With an SUV, is it possible to fit a under 40lb. carseat, a Britax booster (if middle daughter can hit the 40lb. mark by April), and one 7 year old (using just car seat belt) all in the backseat? Do any of you have a like situation? Or would it be too tight?

Any responses would be appreciated!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It would totally depend on which vehicles. The Honda Odyssey has way more room behind the 3rd row than the Honda Pilot, for example, but you could put 3 seats across the center row of the Pilot (I have my 2.5, 5.5 & 7.5 year olds in the center row of mine) and fold down the 3rd row.

I would definitely bring a booster for the 7 year old, though, because there's no guarantee the seatbelt will fit properly in the rental car. And, if the 5 year old is used to being harnessed, bring that seat to use on the plane & in the car as well. She'll sleep better that way.

Like I said, though, it does depend on which vehicles and which car seats, too. I think just about anything would fit in the 2nd row of my Pilot, but not every SUV has that much hip room.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I drive a '05 Tahoe and can get 3 car seats across the 3rd row 1 harnessed & 2 boosters no problem. My 2nd row is caption chairs but have put 3 harnessed seat across my neighbors 2nd row bench Tahoe with no problem at all. This leaving the 3rd row to be folded up allowing a lot of cargo area storage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC