Recycling Expired Seats

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Check out this site for the Colorado Children's Automobile Safety Associates. Some of you may have heard of this Car Seat Guy before...? Anyway, I wish there were a program like this near me.

He takes expired seats, gets help in stripping them down to just the plastic, then hauls the plastic shells to a recycling center:

In 2005, over 750 car seats were collected and recycled. Our pace for 2006 exceeded 1200 seats. The weight of the collected and recycled materials has not been calculated, but it is considerable. An average car seat is about 5 pounds of #5 plastic, cloth, foam, nylon harnesses, some polystyrene plastic and some metal. The bulk of the weight is the car seat shell made of the #5 plastic. This plastic, though not in high demand, is easily recyclable and often returns to us as plastic lumber or butter tubs. Most deliveries made to the local recycler are between a pickup truck load and a partly full 15 foot box truck. All recyclable components are delivered to the recycler. Non-recyclable parts, mostly nylon harness straps, polystyrene, foam and some cloth, are currently sent to the land fill. Some cloth covers are used for cleaning rags, given to quilters, used for cloth paper making classes or kept for seats in our loaner program.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I tried emailed him in the past, to start a program here, with no luck. I started something here, but was just told this week that the company I was working with was mistaken. They are now telling me that they just haul the seats to the dump! I will try contacting the Colorado group again. Thanks!

valleyfam

I wish this was available everywhere. I currently have 6 expired seats hanging around because I hate the idea of sending them to the landfill.:(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC