locking clips

Holly

I want to make sure I get an answer to this, and not sure if it will be seen in my regent post, so I'm making a new thread, sorry.

Anyway, my friend bought a Regent, except I actually ordered it for her during the sale, she is going to come pick it up today and pay me for it.
I'm going to help her install it. She doesnt have locking seatbelts so I need to use a locking clip and I never have before. Her seat didn't come with a locking clip. Are all locking clips equal or do I need a certain kind?
Can I just use one that came with my Scenera or my Radian or is that considered "Sharing accessories from different seats"?

How do I install it with the locking clip?
Anyone have pics of a locking clip in use?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Are you sure her seatbelts don't lock at all? If her car is newer than 1996, then the seatbelts are required to lock at the retractor or at the latchplate. What vehicle does she drive?

If you truly do need a locking clip, then any is fine. They are interchangable. I couldn't even tell you which of mine came with which seat.

Here's some more info on locking clips, including instructions with pictures at the bottom-

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

:)

edit: I see that some of that got covered in your other thread. You probably will need a locking clip. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it just the right length. You get the lap portion as tight as you can, then unbuckle being sure to hold the latchplate in place. Put the locking clip on so that it within 1" of the latchplate and rebuckle. It helps to pinch the seatbelt lengthwise (make it narrower) to slide it onto the slots. The LC shouldn't be pushing against the shell at all. I like to put it on from the bottom. That way you can see all 4 prongs from the outside to make sure it's on correctly and if it does pop off in a crash, it's just going to go back toward the vehicle seat.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Here's a great tip for using a locking clip: get the belts tight like you want it, unbuckle it while holding the belts together or otherwise marking the spot where you want the locking clip to go, put the locking clip on while it unbuckled, then rebuckle. Also, you want to use the locking clip on the side of the child seat that is near the buckle - about an inch or so from it - not on the other side. Make sense?

ETA: This is also mentioned in the link that crunchy gave... :)

Holly

She has a 95 Plymouth Grand Voyager, and she told me the belts don't lock.
Would she have needed a locking clip for any seat she uses there? I wonder how her current seat is installed?

crunchierthanthou

Has she had tether anchors installed? Her van wouldn't have come with them. Britax recommends using the top tether at all times, but it is required over 50 lbs.

Here's the information if she hasn't yet-

part number- 05017529AB.

The can be installed in the center and driver's side outboard seats. The tether points are on the floor behind the seats.

DaimlerChrysler will install tether anchors for free. Refer to techincal bulletin 23-008-00 Revision B.

Holly

I told her she needs to use the tether and told her where it would be on the floor if she has one. She says she does, but we'll see.
I'll let her know she can get one installed if she doesnt have one.
If she doesnt have one today, can I still install her seat without it just for today and tell her to get a tether anchor installed asap?
Her dd is 41.5 lbs if that helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC