LATCH or center seat?

J

jfloyd18

Hi. I actually have two questions.

First: I have a Montana minivan with 3 seats in the middle section. The two outside seats are equipped with LATCH, but the middle seat is not and only has a lap belt. Is it safer to put my daughter in the middle or to use the LATCH system?

Second: I just bought a Graco Turbo booster seat for my older son and was not positive on how to do the seat belt. Mine lock if pulled all the way out. Should I strap him in like I would an adult (not locked) or should I lock the belt after strapping him in?

Thanks for any help.

Jennifer

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We might help more if we know year/make/model, ages/weights/heights & brand

1. Read your vehicle & carseat manuals.... If your vehicle manual does not completely disallow installing a carseat in the center with LATCH & the space between the lower anchors does not exceed the carseat manufacturer's requirement then it's OK - you may need to call the carseat manufacturer customer service.... Also, is your daughter rear-facing or forward-facing? If she is RF, then it won't matter yet whether there's a top tether anchor for the middle ... but if she is FF she is safer using a top tether.
  • In my 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, the manual said carseats shouldn't be installed in the middle with LATCH unless the carseat manufacturer is OK with doing so - I called Britax ... they had me get the measurement between the lower anchors & said it was OK to install our seat there.

2. You don't have to lock the seatbelt, but if your son is not used to the booster & might not sit still properly for the entire length of every ride, then locking the belt can be a safe tool for reminding kiddo to sit still ;)

J

jfloyd18

My daughter is 21 months, forward facing and in a Alpha Omega carseat. My 2001 Pontiac Montana has the tether in the middle seat but not the lower anchors. However, the side seats both have the lower anchors as well as the tether. Is it safer to put her in the middle without the lower anchors or to put her in the side seat with the lower anchors?

Thanks,
Jennifer

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
It's safer to install her car seat in the center with the seat belt and use the top tether anchor for that position. You want her away from any possible source of intrustion in a crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC