Utah changed the booster law!

Holly

I am so excited! Utah has just changed the booster law!
Now, a child has to use a booster until age 8 or 4'9!

People on my local mommy board have been talking about it and most are annoyed by it. They dont want some law telling them what to do.
I also read the comments from the news site I am about to link to, and most people there are against it too.

I've never read so many ignorant replies before! It's making me so upset that I had to come here where others care about CPS and I don't feel like such a freak.
It really bothers me how people don't care about best practice! Hello, it's your childs freaking life you are dealing with, it's the most precious thing you have, PROTECT it! Gah, I don't even have the energy to argue with people anymore, it's just no use!

Anyway, so yeah, if anyone dares to post a good reply, feel free to. I want to say something, but I dont know what to say. I'm really not good with words to write what I feel about the whole thing.

I'm so glad I have you guys! This site is like a safe haven I can come to where people understand the importance of CPS, which is my biggest passion right now!

Here is the news link: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2808436

ADS

megabloxs

No one likes changes that means they have to spend more money - Ie now they have to buy booster seats for children 5-8, when they didnt have to before, some of these children will require them for only 6-12 months.

If they were giving them away free, I bet they would not be complaining.

crunchierthanthou

ps, I :love: Janet Brooks. I really do. Did you know she's on the national CPS Board? Her name is in the front of the CPS manual as one of the authors. She's great... but, I think the idea of sending the booster to school with the kid is a bit out there. I think maybe a better solution is that everyone participating in the carpool provide a booster for her own child and then whoever is driving that week keeps them- more tricky if you switch off more often than that, but not leaving the responsibility to the child.

can anyone name all the boosters in that clip? I'm not even sure what the first one is. a protek maybe?

minismom

Urgh, I got sick of reading those comments. I got very annoyed at the people who called themselves conservaties and opposed the law just because it's the government telling people what to do. Funny how those are the same people who want the government to say that people cant abort their babies but then it's not ok for the government to tell them to stop risking their kids lives by driving them unrestrained. Not an abortion discussion here please. I just wanted to point out the irony...

MomToEliEm

When I was talking with a coworker about Texas possibly getting a booster bill (which failed though), she mentioned how she really thought the booster bill was silly and those kids don't need those boosters. Well, when I finally talked with her about it, she was thinking booster = shield booster. Once I explained what "booster" this law was talking about, she thought it was okay since it wasn't harnessed (though of course many 3-4 year olds should still be harnessed) or something you have to sqeeze a child into.

Maybe some of the parents in Utah are thinking similarly and don't really know what a booster really is.

sfeitler

ps, I :love: Janet Brooks. I really do. Did you know she's on the national CPS Board? Her name is in the front of the CPS manual as one of the authors. She's great... but, I think the idea of sending the booster to school with the kid is a bit out there. I think maybe a better solution is that everyone participating in the carpool provide a booster for her own child and then whoever is driving that week keeps them- more tricky if you switch off more often than that, but not leaving the responsibility to the child.

can anyone name all the boosters in that clip? I'm not even sure what the first one is. a protek maybe?

Taking the booster seat to school is a reasonable suggestion IMO. My DD and her friends in kindergarten often have a booster with them if one car is dropping them off and another is picking them up. They just line the boosters up against the wall by the entrance. The teachers help make sure the right booster goes home with the right kid, at the same time they're making sure the kid is going home with an approved adult.

I don't know about later grades (DD's school is pre-K/K only); just wanted to say it's not a preposterous suggestion.

-Sarah

Dillipop

I just sent the link to my IL's in Utah. There are a bunch of cousins that fall into the 5-8 range out there.

Ice Princess

people are against chane, plain and simple. I am a crazy CPS person too but I know from experiance that parents dont want to be told what they are doing is no the safest. I also find a lot of times they think it is a bigger pain to have the seat. I am glad they passed it though beucause it is SAFER.

For those that dont like this law, do they like the no smoking ban in UT? Becuase they are telling others they cant smoke any where they want to becuase it is a health risk to others.

Dillipop

They LOVE the no smoking ban in Utah. The state used to be predominantly of one religion and smoking is against that religion, so most are ok with the smoking rules. I believe it is now 25 feet from any public entrance. The same or less than other states.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC