Look at this booster video

Holly

On my local mommy forum, there has been a big debate about the new Utah booster law they just changed (Have to be 8 years or 4'9 before getting out of a booster).
Someone that was all for the law (which most people were NOT!) posted this cool booster video I had never seen it before, but I love it!
I figured some of you guys might not have known about this video either, and may want to add it to your car seat favorites to have on hand if you ever need it to show anyone who needs a booster.

http://www.chop.edu/traumalink/pcps/flash/booster_shell.html

ADS

melniemi

Good info. Some of the kids looked so tiny in those boosters. I had to laugh when they said most kids reach 4'9" at age 8! I'll be surprised if my kid is over 4' at age 8!!! lol

Leila

It's a great video to some extent. It's not terribly realistic about weight/heights/ages though. I know that I didn't hit 4'9" until after 8th grade. And my younger son, he'll be 4'9" well before he's 8 at the rate he's growing. My 8 year old? He's 4'2" tall. I'm also curious about how old the video is since there's no mention of HWH seats at all.

Kris0722

I wish they didn't say they recommend from 40 lbs and up... I totally understand WHY they did, but when will people start to understand that EH is an easier option these days......

I know.... I'm impatient.... :whistle:

Also - what about HBB providing some SIP? Has that been proven or just theorized?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Jordynsmama

It's a great video to some extent. It's not terribly realistic about weight/heights/ages though. I know that I didn't hit 4'9" until after 8th grade. And my younger son, he'll be 4'9" well before he's 8 at the rate he's growing. My 8 year old? He's 4'2" tall. I'm also curious about how old the video is since there's no mention of HWH seats at all.

I know. 4'9 is tall! I cannot picture J who is average being 4'9 in 2.5 yrs! I hope not:(
The kid I nannied for is 10 next month and not even 4 feet. So not too accurate.
Also I was wondering why they dont bring up HBB for SIP. They should mention that. And what about the shoulder belt positioner thingy...isnt that a no-no?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I agree with everyone who's said that 4'9" isn't completely realistic for an 8 year old. DD is a couple months shy of 11, she's 4'9" tall. Her cousins who are 6 months younger and 9 months older are BOTH shorter than her. There are 18 girls in the class, and DD is in the top 5 for height.

Leila

I know. 4'9 is tall! I cannot picture J who is average being 4'9 in 2.5 yrs! I hope not:(
The kid I nannied for is 10 next month and not even 4 feet. So not too accurate.
Also I was wondering why they dont bring up HBB for SIP. They should mention that. And what about the shoulder belt positioner thingy...isnt that a no-no?

Well, I'll admit that I was a bit of a munchkin back in the day. I had a massive growth spurt between 8th grade graduation and the start of my freshman year. I grew 13" in three months. My two sisters were both 5' before they turned 10, so it's entirely possible they were both 4'9" at eight. It's still not the average height of an eight year old though.

The CDC growth charts list 50" (4'2") as the average (50%) for girls at age eight and it's pretty much the same for boys, it might be 51" (4'3"). I'd love to know where the people who made the video got their "4'9" happens around age 8" thing.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
And what about the shoulder belt positioner thingy...isnt that a no-no?

Most backless boosters come with shoulder belt positioners. Personally, I find them to be a pain to use and I'd recommend a high-back booster instead for sheer convenience, but if that wasn't an option, the shoulder-belt positioner is a safe alternative.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The CDC growth charts list 50" (4'2") as the average (50%) for girls at age eight and it's pretty much the same for boys, it might be 51" (4'3"). I'd love to know where the people who made the video got their "4'9" happens around age 8" thing.

Yeah, that's why I suspect they are making it up for the booster-ignorant public. Best practice comes to the public slowly... If they were to go around telling the truth that kids need to be in boosters till they are tall enough pretty much in puberty so their hipbones can work well enough to hold the lapbelt down, they'd face a backlash of people saying "that's crazy! No way will MY kid be in a booster that long..." so they have to fudge the numbers...get us used to hearing the 4'9" in association with the 8, so they can eventually ditch the age all together (seen the booster ads NHTSA puts out? No age! just 4'9"...hooray for my tax dollars at work for once...).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC