Would you buy a new infant seat in the this situation?

arly1983

We are TTC#3.

Me and DH got to thinking about what we would need to buy for DC#3 today. (Darn little if it is a girl and a pretty good bit if it is a boy).

However for an infant carseat, I (will) have an Ionic Safeseat 1 good until 2010 at least. It was one of the very first to come available. It was used for my two munchkins and now my neice. I will also have my sister's rearadjust 2007 5pt EPS Snugride (aqua bay) if I want to borrow it.

So does it make sense to buy another infant seat for the new baby?

Does anyone buy a new infant seat with each child?

I bought quite a few with Camille just to see what I liked and wasted quite a bit of money.

I would like to get a SS1 in Jenny or Heirloom or Deco or a Chicco Keyfit but it just doesn't seem practical esp if I am going to need to get new clothes for a boy and this is our last LO......

ADS

mominabigtruck

I wouldn't but that's because my kids don't get any time out of an infant seat. I have a chicco artisian that is illegal and 3pt that I will use with our next child just because I have it and it is lined with eps foam and is a good 3pt with a front adjust. I also lust after the new pretty covers but I just can't justify the cost, especially since my kids outgrow them by around 4 months and then I have to buy a minimum of three more covertibles. Although if we conceive as soon as I'm hoping I would probably pass down at least the efta and get Peyton a frontier. But I'm also lusting after a truefit so I doubt I would pass down the blvd too. And add to that by that time I'm sure Peyton will have outgrown his ss2 in my mom's van so that's another seat I'll have to buy.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I wouldn't buy a new infant seat for a new baby when you have one that you can use.

I would invest the money in a new convertible. :)

arly1983

Yeah, I am thinking it would not be worth it.

I don't have the SS1 here with me but I am pretty sure the DOM is sometime in 2005 so actually should be good til 2011.

MOM25BOYS

If I had one to borrow or had one on hand to use that is still great I would go that route. I haven't neccessarly bought a new seat with each child but I have with the last 3!:D I had an old Evenflo Oshkosh denim 3pt that I used with DS#1. When we were ttc DS#2 I figured I would use it one more time since they outgrow them sooo fast. When I found out 8 weeks after DS#2 was born I was preg. again I knew I needed a new seat!:) I bought one of the new Graco Snugrides with the 5pt for DS#3 which I loved!:love: I sold it not expecting to have anymore and much too my surprise was preg. again in no time! So I wanted something different with DS#4 and purchased a Combi Centre. Now since it has a recall I decided to purchase another Graco since I missed not having my Snugride. I got the SS1 in French Roast for DS#5. DH is going crazy with all the seats lying around!:D Good Luck on TTC!!:)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I always buy a new infant seat for each kid because there is always something better out.:D I always sell my infant seats after I am done with them because I don't like to keep seats around if I don't have a use for them. There really isn't a reason you need to buy a new one but if you want to buy a new one there is nothing wrong with that either!:rolleyes::whistle:

jka1217

I wouldn't, infant seats aren't used very long usually, at least in our case it wasn't. We really only used our Snugride 3.5 months before she was very close to ourgrowing it. I'd rather have that money for clothes or a convertible seat.

I will have to get a new seat for #2 since I gave DD's away to someone that really needed it. I may actually see if I can borrow one from someone because I don't want to have to buy a new one.

Maybe you could get a new cover or swap covers so it feels like it's a new seat?

mommy_quigg

If you have one you can use, I'd use it. I gave my Evenflo Embrace to my cousin because 1. she's really needs it and 2. I don't want to use it again. I want a SS1 but there's no way I can justify to DH buying it if we have the Embrace. ;)

mimieliza

I wouldn't, the SS1 is a good seat. We're probably not going to TTC again for another year, and I am definitely planning on reusing DD's SS1.

minismom

I'd only buy a new infant seat if I didnt like the one I had before and knew there was something much better out there. But the SS1 is still one of the best seats there are, so if it's still good to 2010 I'd definitely keep it.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The seat you have is fine...save your money and invest in an awesome convertible that is out by then!

I still have my keyfit...it's 2 yrs old this month(It was a yr old when I got it--and I had pg brain, so I was thinking a march dom was fine). At this rate...it'll be about 3 yrs old before I get to use it. But I like it and it's really a nice seat.

I did use the base the other day with my day care kid---he has a chicco seat, so my base worked just fine.

Susan

i wouldn't waste the money on a new infant seat. i never used them past when my child could sit up alone. i just didn't need them once they could sit in a cart. they are about $100 for them now and I would rather take that money and use it towards a nice convertible seat. i don't think i used my infant seat past 7 months for either of my daughters. of course if we have a third i will have to buy one since the seat is too old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC