How many remove HUGS for RFing??

fyrfightermomma

Another thread got me thinking about taking the HUGS off my MA's for RFing as my husband can't stand them and on our EFTA he always raises the chest clip up to the proper position but on the Britax seats he never seems to(they are always low) because he says its too hard to "scoot" it up with the HUGS on. I never wanted to take them off before, but if it will get DH to buckle them up right I will. I just want to know how common it is to remove them?? How many of you removed them for RFing?? Did it make it easier?? Thanks!

ADS

MyBeachBabies

I'm curious about this too. I just put my 4 month old into a Boulevard. I left the hugs on for now, but I wonder if it would be better if I took them off. I was also surprised to see the comfort pads on my new BV and Regent are sewn together so I have to take the harness apart if I wanted to remove those...kind of a pain.

jessclear

I remove my HUGS for RF. I feel that I can get the harness tighter without them, or at least it is easier to get the harness tight.

natysr

I leave them on. I have no reason to take them off. If I did, i would probably lose them. I don't have trouble getting the harness tight with them on.

sb518

I take them off for the smaller babies, once they hit 6-12 months I would keep them on. The harness won't even go tight enough for my newborn nephew so keeping them on isn't an option for him.

Mommypooh

I have never taken them off rear faceing and I actually really like the fit of the harness better than other seats I have had that didnt' have them on. I know I am weird in liking them.

Cedarmom

I take them off. I can't get the harness tight enough with them on. It would probably be better now that's he two but I haven't tried them in quite a while. :) They live in our glove box so I know where they are. ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I left them on with dd because I didn't really think it'd make that much of a difference tightening the harness. I had troubles tightening it with ds when he was in the MA rf'ing though, so I took them off...

Having used the seat rf'ing both with and without, I can say it is so much easier to get a snug fit with them off. (And my dd was a toddler when she was using them, so it wasn't a size of child issue...)

I just store mine in the back fabric pocket of the cover when they're off. It's the perfect width for them to fit lengthwise right at the bottom, no chance of them falling out and they're always with the seat that way. :thumbsup:

CaseyRN

They're off. Will put them back on whenever we turn her around. I keep mine in the latch pockets on either side of the cover.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I had them off for a long time - from 10 months/14 pounds when she first used the seat until last time I changed the cover, when she was 2 years 10 months. I wanted to see how she would tolerate them and make sure she was used to them when the time comes that she turns around. She is still under 25 pounds, so we have lots of time RF still. The harness now fits fine with the hugs on and she doesn't seem to mind them.

PixieEMT

My kids eat them, so I take them off. :rolleyes: I prefer it that way anyway.

:eek:

:scratcheshead:
Hummmm...I wonder why my little man didn't try that yet? My DS tends to be very distructive and has been known to rip things up with his mouth. I'll have to keep an eye on them.

crunchierthanthou

Mine are off, as are the comfort pads. I don't see any reason to mess with them when they really aren't doing anything. I've got them sitting on the ledge next to my stairs. I keep meaning to put them back on, but haven't had the seat in the house in a few weeks.

fyrfightermomma

Thanks guys. I think I am going to take them off. My big worry was losing them and what if I take teh seat somewhere where RF isnt a good fit and the older one has to be FF and then I dont have them (she rides FF in others cars alot of the time since shes almost 3) but the idea of storing them in the pockets is great. I'll be doing that. Thanks!

mcomommy

I take them off and keep them in the pocket at the top of the back of the seat. Works better for us that way but dd2 started off at 13 pounds in that seat so now that she is bigger it might not make a difference.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I never did for my girls but really it's personal decisions. I removed them on my neighbors just because her dh has a short torso and it dug into his neck. They are back on now just because she moves the BV back & forth between her vehicle where her ds is still rf'ing and her dh truck where her son is ff'ing (reg. cab truck). Her ds is almost 2yrs old now. She & I both are not comfortable with her ds being rf'ing in her dh truck since there is no back seat.

abacus2

I would have for a newborn, but Emily didn't start using the seat until January (17 months) and they aren't a problem.

thrillhouse

I did remove them for RFing. my son was only 7 weeks old when he outgrew the bucket so he was still a bit small and floppy even though he weighed 17 lbs. It was much nicer to not have the HUGS on a small baby for rfing in the marathon.

Mommy090804

I had taken them off for DS. I did find it a bit easier to tighten the harness straps since he is such a peanut. Once he reached 20 pounds I put them on again, just in case I ever had to turn him FFing. My worry was if I ever ran into a problem when we were flying and I was forced to install his seat FFing. I don't ever plan on FFing his MA in a car until he reaches almost 33lbs.

I had them in the car's glove compartment. I do like the idea of putting them in the tether pocket, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are traveling, since they could easily fall out when storing and removing the tether strap from the pocket. HTH!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC