Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Inexpensive Jogging stroller?

I am looking for an inexpensive jogging stroller for my DD. I think that I want swivel front wheels with the ability to lock, air tires and taller handles. Any recs?

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Inexpensive Jogging stroller?

Are you actually using it for jogging? If so, you'll want a front fixed wheel (not swivel) and a hand brake. Or are you looking for a 3-wheeled all-terrain stroller that you're not using for jogging? What's your budget?

My DH claims that he will jog with it, but probably only light jogging. Do some have the option to lock a swivel wheel? I am thinking I would like to keep it under $200.

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

Quote Originally Posted by cryswilkins View Post
    My DH claims that he will jog with it, but probably only light jogging. Do some have the option to lock a swivel wheel? I am thinking I would like to keep it under $200.
    Yes you can get them with a swivel wheel that will lock. Most have three 12" wheels, and 12" wheels aren't designed for jogging. Jogging is generally best with a 16" wheel or larger. The wheels will track straighter, handle bumps better and overall give your child a better and less bumpy ride at higher speeds (faster than walking). Also, a hand brake is useful for safety. This can help you slow the stroller down when running on a downhill slope.

But, since you said light jogging, and it likely won't be on a regular basis, I'd consider something with a 12" swivel wheel that locks but has larger rear wheels. The Bob Revolution has a 12.5" front swivel wheel with lock option and 16" rear tires. It's priced higher than you want ($359), but you may be able to find a used one in your price range if you're open to that. Do you belong to the StrollerSwap Yahoo group? It comes in several really nice colour combos and can hold a child up to 70 pounds (so great if DH decides he likes jogging and wants to continue with it when your child is older). Here's info on the Bob Revolution http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/str...p?product_id=4

Another is the Baby Jogger ATS which has as 12" front, lockable swivel wheel and 16" rear tires. It also takes a child up to 75 pounds. It's $299, but again, you could likely find one used for less. Here is info about it http://babyjogger.com/ats.htm

You'll open up your stroller possibilities if you go with all 12" wheels, but really, it's not safe to be jogging with them, so DH would have to give up on his jogging dream. The strollers mentioned above give you the best of both worlds and are both high quality which will last for a good long time.

Thanks! I love the BOBs, but I could never shell out the cash, I am going to look for a used one though.

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar

We have the Dreamer Design Manhattan Lite. It was quite reasonably priced compared to the other similarly-featured strollers - and it has the larger wheels (in the back only.) The storage basket is quite useless though.

See what you think.

You know, we bought a Baby Trend Expedition from Target and we really like it. We use it more for all terrain, but the front wheel has the option to swivel or lock. It's easily available, and it's only $99. It even has noisy, bumpy cupholders (a bottle of water moves really, really easy in them, and makes a lot of noise...) and lots of little storage pockets, plus the wrist strap for actual jogging. For a budget stroller, it's quite nice. The basket under is not huge, but we took it to the (open air, outside) Flea Market last week, and I managed to store 5 bottles of water, 1 pepsi, 1 large framed picture, 1 glass pitcher, 1 pyrex bowl, a couple of diapers/wipes, some small toys, my sisters backpack, and a few other small random things without problem. Not bad, huh?
    Mom to a Crew! Boys 10, 6, 4 and 2 and Girls 9 and 2!
    Don't ask me if I'm having more, I may be tempted to say yes!

Check out www.returns4sale.com too!

Fixed wheel strollers will typically be cheaper.

If you are wanting a swivel wheel, AND want to jog, then I would pick a BOB. Their front wheel locks FORWARD, which makes it more like a true jogger.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way