Inexpensive Jogging stroller?

cryswilkins

I am looking for an inexpensive jogging stroller for my DD. I think that I want swivel front wheels with the ability to lock, air tires and taller handles. Any recs?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Are you actually using it for jogging? If so, you'll want a front fixed wheel (not swivel) and a hand brake. Or are you looking for a 3-wheeled all-terrain stroller that you're not using for jogging? What's your budget?

cryswilkins

My DH claims that he will jog with it, but probably only light jogging. Do some have the option to lock a swivel wheel? I am thinking I would like to keep it under $200.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My DH claims that he will jog with it, but probably only light jogging. Do some have the option to lock a swivel wheel? I am thinking I would like to keep it under $200.
Yes you can get them with a swivel wheel that will lock. Most have three 12" wheels, and 12" wheels aren't designed for jogging. Jogging is generally best with a 16" wheel or larger. The wheels will track straighter, handle bumps better and overall give your child a better and less bumpy ride at higher speeds (faster than walking). Also, a hand brake is useful for safety. This can help you slow the stroller down when running on a downhill slope.

But, since you said light jogging, and it likely won't be on a regular basis, I'd consider something with a 12" swivel wheel that locks but has larger rear wheels. The Bob Revolution has a 12.5" front swivel wheel with lock option and 16" rear tires. It's priced higher than you want ($359), but you may be able to find a used one in your price range if you're open to that. Do you belong to the StrollerSwap Yahoo group? It comes in several really nice colour combos and can hold a child up to 70 pounds (so great if DH decides he likes jogging and wants to continue with it when your child is older). Here's info on the Bob Revolution http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller_accessories.php?product_id=4

Another is the Baby Jogger ATS which has as 12" front, lockable swivel wheel and 16" rear tires. It also takes a child up to 75 pounds. It's $299, but again, you could likely find one used for less. Here is info about it http://babyjogger.com/ats.htm

You'll open up your stroller possibilities if you go with all 12" wheels, but really, it's not safe to be jogging with them, so DH would have to give up on his jogging dream. :D The strollers mentioned above give you the best of both worlds and are both high quality which will last for a good long time.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
You know, we bought a Baby Trend Expedition from Target and we really like it. We use it more for all terrain, but the front wheel has the option to swivel or lock. It's easily available, and it's only $99. It even has noisy, bumpy cupholders (a bottle of water moves really, really easy in them, and makes a lot of noise...) and lots of little storage pockets, plus the wrist strap for actual jogging. For a budget stroller, it's quite nice. The basket under is not huge, but we took it to the (open air, outside) Flea Market last week, and I managed to store 5 bottles of water, 1 pepsi, 1 large framed picture, 1 glass pitcher, 1 pyrex bowl, a couple of diapers/wipes, some small toys, my sisters backpack, and a few other small random things without problem. Not bad, huh?

lovinwaves

Check out www.returns4sale.com too! :)

Fixed wheel strollers will typically be cheaper.

If you are wanting a swivel wheel, AND want to jog, then I would pick a BOB. Their front wheel locks FORWARD, which makes it more like a true jogger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC