Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How old was your NOW teenager when they no longer used a carseat and what seat was it?

For those of us with teenagers I was just wondering how old your NOW teenager was when they no longer used a carseat. I know things were a lot different even back then and I know for myself I was not as educated about carseats as I am now. Also do you remember what the last seat was that they used?

My oldest DS who is now 17yrs used a carseat until he was 6yrs old (which at the time where I live was virtually unheard of). The last seat he used was a combo seat made by Century. It was a highback booster type seat with no head wings no side wings (literaly a flat seat). It had a harness that could be removed so that you could use the seat as a booster. I don't remember what the harness weight or height went up to.

If anyone knows the seat I'm talking about and has a picture of it please post one if you can.

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: How old was your NOW teenager when they no longer used a carseat and what seat was it?

It was probably a Century Breverra (p 17 below)

http://www.carseat.org/Pictorial/3-Five-%20Point-np.pdf

My oldest is almost 16, and she was out of a seat at 4, I am guessing (can't remember that far back) - but she went back into a booster at ... 6? and stayed there until almost 11 (she is fairly short). It was a RightFit until she hit 80 pounds, and I am not sure what she went into after that (but she asked for a seat w/a 100 piund limit so she didn't have to use the regular seatbelt alone) - my memory stinks!
    Karen in TN
    Mom of 3 girls, CPST, RN BSN

Re: How old was your NOW teenager when they no longer used a carseat and what seat was it?

The Brevera? I had one! The law here was 4 yr old, so that is what I did. I also had that seat, and the wonderful one that had a built in lap only belt. My one and only new seat was the Renolux.

oh my. Gosh I am not sure. I bet I had her in a booster seat ASAP though. yikes. scary I have no memory of that. She did have a tshield century though when she was younger. I bet I put her in a low back booster. But I really cant recall.
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...22 and driving! Skylar- 17yrs-and also driving! Molly-14 yrs -70+ pounds passing the 5 step test and Avery -10 yrs - 55+ pounds, riding in a redd performance sport booster.

[QUOTE=seatchecker;371699]It was probably a Century Breverra (p 17 below)

That is the seat. Yikes. Not much SIP is there!

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

My little sister is 14 now, born when I was 14, almost 15. I clearly remember her carseats. The last one she rode in was a Gerry Double Guard shield booster. She only used it until about 6, maybe 7, IIRC.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Well, my teen is just now 13, so not as good an example of "back in the day." But he used a booster until he passed the 5-step test, which means he quit using one around age 9 or 10 in our little VW Golf, but kept using one until age 11 in our Chevy Astro.

He's been in a booster since age 3, though. And his first one was a shield booster.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

My 15 year old never used a car seat. She rode around in a cardboard box on the floor of the vehicle and then went straight to a seatbelt.

Needless to say, I was not her mother at that time and she is lucky they were never in a collision or sudden stop. I only met her when she turned 4 and she was definitely riding around in a seatbelt at that time.

She is very tall (5'10" now) and fit the seatbelt correctly by the time I learned about CPS when she was 8 years old.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

My 13yo sister had a gerry shield booster in my mom's van but when I bought my truck when I was 17 I bought her a backless tb so she could sit in the front and see out the window She was probably 6 or 7 at the time.
    If it seems like I'm not making sense, it's probably just my phone

My oldest is 14.5. He was turned FF at 14 months in a used overhead shield seat. Around 3.5, he went into a shield booster (also used). Once he was too tall for the shield booster (tip of ears over the low bench seat backs) he went into a l/s with a seat belt adjuster. He must have been about 4.5, becasue he was still in preschool. Thankfully, less than a year later, at about 5.5, I was told about the dangers of seat belt adjusters and the need for a belt positioning booster. I quickly went out and got him a Cosco HBB. He used that for about a year, then went onto a Britax StarRiser/Comfy. He used that until he fit the seat belt. He was 10.10 y/o when he was allowed to go without a booster in my car. He continued to use a backless in dh's car for about another 9-12 months.

Here's Race at 8.5, 4'6" and about 60 lbs.
    ~Angie <><
    Mom to Race, 1993 & Zane, 2004
    CPST 2001-2017

Senior Community Member

Ok my dd is about to be 23yrs but she only used a seat till about 2 maybe 2 1/2. We never really had a car after that age, when we were in a car she used a seatbelt.

Senior Community Member libranbutterfly's Avatar

My brother is 11, I remember he had evenflo infant seats, and I don't remember any seats after that at all I totaled my car w/ him in the front w/ the shoulder strap behind him at three. I (23) used an overhead shield until between 4-5, but it was mainly because they got a new car, and it didnt have a backseat (a suzuki samuri) and they mae me a little bench and bungeed my seat onto it until the back seat came in. I used the OHS from birth.
    Jeneca
    Mom to
    Kamille (8) Booster,
    Alexis (6) Booster &
    Rayne (1) ERF in a Scenera for now

Carseat Crazy mommyto2angelgirls's Avatar

i don't have ateenager but i remember my little brother being 4 an in what would be considered a no back booster. it was made by fisher price it was tan and was actually made of plastic ans the belt just when under the armrests. i tried to find a picture but i can't
    DD1~5yrs~43.5lbs~42 inches~14.5inch torso~FF in a MA, Nautilus and Apex 65
    DD2~23 months~26lbs~33inches~RF in a MA and EFTA
    Little girl I babysit~3yrs~30lbs~35inches~FF in an Evenflo Triumph
    Baby #3 due in Dec~infant seat TBD~any advice??

CPS Technician

My DD is 14 1/2. She was in a Gerry double guard shield booster by 2 (came out of a Century Tshield seat that we had washed with bleach and recovered ) and then we put her into the new thing on the market. A gerry harnessed booster. She rode in that for a couple years, then she was back into the double guard. I think she was out of the by 4 into a seatbelt with those triangular adjustors that you just put the seatbelt through to keep the shoulder belt off their face. Then I think she went into a Right Fit at about 5 and used that for a very, very short time.

I am so glad we didn't get into an accident.
    Daycaremomma to 12 Kiddos ages 9,8,6,6,5,4,4,4,2,2,1,1
    Momma to 2 Kiddos ages 18and 20

My teenager, 17 on Easter, had a car seat that was acutally ordered from my folks from our insurance company - it was a Century and I think it had a t-shield. It was so big that on the way home from the hospital the straps were above her head. - back then the hospital didn't check. We borrowed a car seat from her dad's coworker - had thin metal legs (and I'm sure it was a used one for them as well) a couple months later we got a "bucket" seat for her from his step-sister when her son outgrew it - want to say it was graco/evenflo. she was in a low/backless booster with the lap "bar" that "guided" the seatbelt, probably till at least 6/7. didn't think it was that long but thinking back it actually was. Scary to think she rode in a Uhaul truck cross county seat belted at 6!
    Babies in snugride and EB 3-1, soon to be in MA by the end of the week.
    EB/Scenera in spare car!
    CPST & Mom to 3 great daughters
    DDM 20 yrs EMTbasic; Seatbelt
    DDK 1/10/06 54# Cybex X-Fix-booster - doing GREAT
    DDG 7/10/07 43# FF RE
    "You know you're healing when your sadness no longer affects your happiness" anon

What's up doc!? I brought carrots to the soup. You?

my 17 yo was probably turned FF at 1. i dont think he was in a carseat after. i know right before his 6th birthday we drove to Boston and he wasnt in a seat then. how lucky we all were,huh?

My 17yr old was turned FF at only 6mon old . That was the recomened age to turn kids forward at that time. He was in a century convertible carseat with they overhead tray.

My now 16 yo was about 6 or so when she was out of her shield booster (Cosco Grand Exlporer). When she was 9 and I took my car to have my middle dd's infant seat checked, she went back into a booster (Evenflo Right Fit) and stayed in it until she was 12, almost 13 when she finally had a growth spurt and fit without it.
    Mary
    Mom to Aimee 25, Heather 16, & Laura 14

My son is 15 and FF'd at 9 months, then we were in our car accident. That is what caused all his GI problems.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by zactayaus View Post
    My 17yr old was turned FF at only 6mon old . That was the recomened age to turn kids forward at that time. He was in a century convertible carseat with they overhead tray.

My 14 yo was FF by 6 mos also. She was in the Tshield Century with a 'cushion' to hold her up high enough for the shield to be under her chin instead of in front of her face
    Daycaremomma to 12 Kiddos ages 9,8,6,6,5,4,4,4,2,2,1,1
    Momma to 2 Kiddos ages 18and 20