Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

RAVE: Friends bought a Regent for 7 YO

While we were in Hawaii we spent quite a bit of time with one of my DH's forum friends and his family. They have the same vehicle as us, Ford Excursion and 4 kids. The 3rd row has no head rest and they had their youngest in a backless booster. We went with them quite a bit and she was very immature re: usage. They let her buckle herself in and normally she would sit on top of the lap belt and just have the shoulder belt in front of her body on top of the no head rest. I don't know if they even realized that she was doing it. I talked to her quite a bit about vehicle safety, how to sit correctly and to the older kids about sitting correctly. DH talked to the parents a bit (yah him!) and I mostly talked to them through the kids. Dad asked me what I though would be the best thing and I said put the 2 smallest kids in Regent on the 3rd row and let the older 2 have the center row with head rests. At the least buy a high back booster for the 7 YO and make sure she sits correctly every time, adding that I didn't think she could.

THEY BOUGHT A REGENT! I can't believe it. She is 46 lbs and tiny so they plan to keep her in it until the upgrade to a the Expedition XL. The are coming to the mainland for 5 weeks and driving cross country and are shipping their excursion and bring the seat to use here also. I am truely amazed.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Re: RAVE: Friends bought a Regent for 7 YO

Quote Originally Posted by TXAggieTech View Post
    While we were in Hawaii we spent quite a bit of time with one of my DH's forum friends and his family. They have the same vehicle as us, Ford Excursion and 4 kids. The 3rd row has no head rest and they had their youngest in a backless booster. We went with them quite a bit and she was very immature re: usage. They let her buckle herself in and normally she would sit on top of the lap belt and just have the shoulder belt in front of her body on top of the no head rest. I don't know if they even realized that she was doing it. I talked to her quite a bit about vehicle safety, how to sit correctly and to the older kids about sitting correctly. DH talked to the parents a bit (yah him!) and I mostly talked to them through the kids. Dad asked me what I though would be the best thing and I said put the 2 smallest kids in Regent on the 3rd row and let the older 2 have the center row with head rests. At the least buy a high back booster for the 7 YO and make sure she sits correctly every time, adding that I didn't think she could.

THEY BOUGHT A REGENT! I can't believe it. She is 46 lbs and tiny so they plan to keep her in it until the upgrade to a the Expedition XL. The are coming to the mainland for 5 weeks and driving cross country and are shipping their excursion and bring the seat to use here also. I am truely amazed.
    That's awesome. Great job!
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

That's awesome! Way to go!

And on another note:

Quote Originally Posted by TXAggieTech View Post
    The are coming to the mainland for 5 weeks and driving cross country and are shipping their excursion and bring the seat to use here also. I am truely amazed.
    Holy cow! How much does that cost?

-Ann

DD1 13y 5-stepsDS1 12y 5-steps
    DD2 9y IncognitoDD3 7y Pink Monterey
    DD4 5y FF Flora RN XTSLDS2 3y RF Red RN XTSLDS3 Cowmoo Britax Chaperone

Senior Community Member melniemi's Avatar

Wow- that's cool. Isn't it nice when people actually get it?

Ann

I think it was going to be between $1800 and $2000 round trip. They are renting a travel trailer in CA and pulling it cross country. They figured out it was cheaper to ship their truck and do that than to rent one the whole time and/or get hotel rooms.

Plus, my DH and his are friends on an Excursion forum and they are having a big meet at the time. If it works out they are going to include that as part of the trip so they wanted the truck here for the meet. Plus, he is thinking about trading it in for an Expedtion XL and it would be cheaper here than there if he decides to do it.