RANT: airline staff

canadianmom2three

Hauled the 30lb Radian out of the van, into the shuttle bus, all thru the airport, and onto the plane (along with much other carry on luggage!) only to be met at the door by the stewardess, who wanted to "check the seat" to ensure it met FAA regulations. It was my understanding based on online research, that all Canadian harnessed seats meet FAA standards, and thus do not have a specific statement on the seat saying that, vs. US seats, which only some meet standards, and thus those that do, state it. I was under the impression that the maple leaf standard sticker for Canada was enough to indicate that the seat was good to fly. The stewardess did not agree, and would not let DS ride in his seat. She kept saying if I had the manual she could check, and I was so flustered and angry I forgot that I had stuffed it in RFing belt path because it came unattached from the seat (of course as we were installing the seat in the rental, I saw it there and was even more furious all over again...) She insisted that we check it, which I was unwilling to do, we brought it to use it, and CERTAINLY not to check it. She also gave me greif about DD's booster that she carried on, going on about how she couldn't use it either (we weren't planning to anyway, just didn't want it checked). In the end, she allowed me to stow the Radian in the overhead bin, but with much grumbling. Of course, halfway through the flight, she comes on and says we are flying into some weather, and are going to be going thru moderate turbulance, and all I can think is that the perfectly good Radian is uselessly stowed above us :mad: Anyway, it all turned out ok, the seat installs like a dream in the rental, and on the way home I am going to have the manual ready and waiting:rolleyes:. OK, rant over, thanks for listening!

ADS

MomToEliEm

Take a look at this FAA regulations document:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

In it, it does have wording indicating if the label on the seat shows it is aircraft approved in Canada, it should be allowed on US flights. If no label is found, the manual indicating that it is aircraft approved is sufficient.

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time with the stewardess. I always carry the FAA documentation with me as it has helped me out a few times, especially when traveling with 2 in carseats by myself. The flight attendant on one flight was very adamant that I had to check one of the seats since only one carseat per row. I showed them my FAA documentation, and I was left alone.

melniemi

I'm sorry. I would've been mad too! I've never flown with kids and don't really plan to. It sounds too stressful!

drey

I'm really sorry you had trouble with the FA. I took my Radian aboard 3 AirTran flights, and the only issue one of the FAs had, was that we are apparently not allowed to install a carseat in the row in front of, or behind, the exit row. We were behind, and she had the pilot pull of the main runway so we could switch w/ the people behind us. I completely forgot to bring any FAA documentation, so I'm glad I didn't encounter any resistance. :)

monzogary

Senior Community Member
I would have been visibly upset too! Sometimes things don't go the way they should and it just sucks lol. Hopefully things go smoother on the return flight for all of you.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm really sorry you had trouble with the FA. I took my Radian aboard 3 AirTran flights, and the only issue one of the FAs had, was that we are apparently not allowed to install a carseat in the row in front of, or behind, the exit row. We were behind, and she had the pilot pull of the main runway so we could switch w/ the people behind us. I completely forgot to bring any FAA documentation, so I'm glad I didn't encounter any resistance. :)

I believe that it depends on the particular aircraft and how the exit doors open, but this is true and in some of the FAA regs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC