Ekkk...number 2 on the way....

mindiv

Ok, so we were having a rare night out without our "gnome" (his nickname) and well....lets just say it was a good night. :love:

Now number two is due in November and the gnome will only be 17 months old. I know I have a long time but with both of us working full-time plus I'm already going into planning mode. We have the SS1 to pass onto the newborn (to be nicknamed the elf...poor child, hubby just loves the nicknames) and a Decathlon to give to DS1 (registered for and bought before I knew about expiration dates etc and waiting to buy until you really need it).

Here is the question....we will sling whenever possible but will need a stroller for grandparents and times when it just isn't reasonable to sling. Can anyone recommend a good double stroller? Those review books are horrid for good recommendations and I'm the first of friends/family with two so I have nobody locally to pass one on or recommend one. Do you go two across or front to back? Having moment of panic realizing I'll have two that young...... :eek:

ADS

lovinwaves

I moved this thread to the "Stroller, Travel Systems, and Gear" Forum ;)

Here are my favorite doubles:

Mountain Buggy Double
Baby Jogger City Series Classic or Elite Double
Baby Jogger City Series Mini Double
Baby Planet Unity Sport

arly1983

Well, its according to what you need, if you want something cheap for quick trips and simple for grandparents:

I would recommend this:
Graco DuoRider

If you want something more compact, better stearing and more features:
Inglesina Twin Swift

I have a twin techno and had a Twin Swift and I gotta tell you there isn't alot of difference esp. considering how much cheaper you can find the twin swift.

If you need an all terrain stroller: Lovinwaves has got you covered up above. I had a Mountain Buggy Double and it didn't fit our needs but was great for what it was.

MomToEliEm

No stroller advice (DD#1 didn't want the stroller when DD#2 came along so she walked). I wanted to tell you congratulations on the future arrival of #2 (elf). I hope you have a good and uneventful pregnancy.

Holly

My kids are 16 months apart, so I know how you feel!
I really wanted a sit n stand stroller but I thought my oldest would be way too young to sit in the back, so I got a Graco Duoglider.
I found out there is a newer sit n stand that is a regular double stroller and then converts into the sit n stand. I really wish I would have known about it before I bought my Graco.
The Graco is nice, but it's big. I do like it, but I just wish I would have gotten a sit n stand!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5621871

miraclebabies

This might sound crazy but I wish my kids were that close in age.. My older sister and I are less than a year apart and we are the best of friends, now our DD's are 2weeks apart. They love each other like they are sisters. Anyway, I would get the Inglesina Twin Swift stroller over the Duo Glide or even the Quattro Duo. The Graco one's are huge and can be hard to steer. I like the Twin Swift cause it folds compact like a umbrella stroller and it has tall handles. Although your carseat won't latch to the stroller like it might on the graco.. The graco takes up the whole back of my SUV without the 3rd seat, the inglesina would with the 3rd seat in. Good luck with the little ones:)

JerseyGirl'sMama

Congrats on number 2 on the way! :D

I don't mean to derail your thread, but I am curious...

When you take one of the double strollers into a store with both kids, where do you put your shopping items? You can't push a stroller and a shopping cart, can you? Well I couldn't! Lol.

mindiv

Thank you for the advise! I'll have to check out the Duoglider and the Inglesina. I will have a hard time giving up the ability to put the infant bucket in the Inglesina but I have a feeling my thoughts on hauling that infant bucket are going to change with having two. Although is it easier to at least have the newborn "contained" when you are dealing with a 17 month old to boot getting in and out of the car? I will be by myself most of the time as the DH and I both work full-time shift work to make ends meet. I will still have my Graco metrolite for days when I can sling DC#2 and put DS in the stroller.

I don't really have a budget as I know as soon as we tell the in-laws that will be their baby gift to us and they are generous. Might as well shoot for the stars!! :p What I'm really looking for is ease of use (so the grandparents can use it too) and being as compact as is reasonably possible...I wouldn't pass up a great stroller just because it was a bit bigger though...we do have a Honda Pilot and therefore the space.

I will need a double for the trails near my home as well. They are nice wide paths well maintained paths but still dirt and gravel with lots of hills. I'm liking the look of the Baby Planet Sport Double and the Mountain Buggy Double for that! Again I can sling and use our current off road in the beginning but it won't be long before the double will be needed.

Thanks again for the thoughts! I know as soon as I get over the idea of two little ones that close in age, I know they will benefit from growing up together. This was just a bit unexpected (darned that bottle of wine....) :whistle:

abharrington

you might also check out the Phil and Teds sport. it has the footprint of a single with an additional seat. it would be great for all your needs, grandparents and the trail and they are on sale right now most places for 399

Holly

When you take one of the double strollers into a store with both kids, where do you put your shopping items? You can't push a stroller and a shopping cart, can you? Well I couldn't! Lol.

I don't go shopping with my stroller. I use the store cart.
When my 2nd was a baby, we put her infant seat crossways across the basket part of the cart, it's kinda hard to explain without a picture. Basically the sides of the cart just held her seat nicely, it kind of nested in too, so it was not just set on top, and was not able to fall off.
My oldest sat in the cart seat.

We shopped like that if we only needed a few things that could fit in the cart under dd's infant seat. If we needed a big trip, we'd each take a cart and one would have the baby, either sideways across the basket again or on top of the seat part, but with the seat clipped onto the seat, we had a snugride and it would snap onto most store carts, if it didn't then we'd put her sideways across the basket again, or sometimes all the way down in it.

Now what we do is sit dd#2 in the seat part and dd#1 sits down in the basket with our stuff, unless there are 2 of us, and we each take a cart then.

vonfirmath

Well. I know people who can push two shopping carts at once. So this would not surprise me.

(And my Snap and Go, when I take to the grocery store, its for smaller runs. I put the groceries in the basket underneath)

Rosey

I think the Inglesina twin swift has all swivel wheels so I think it would turn sideways and push through a door if it was too narrow..............is this correct those of you who have this stroller??

The Kolcraft Contours is cool looking and I think they are making bigger seats for it now. Seems versatile but heavy. I haven't pushed it other than the store.

In the store you may just wear the baby and put the older child in the cart. Bend with your knees if you need something on the bottom shelf :) Then when baby can sit up get the cart with the car in front....older kid in car and baby in cart.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The kolcraft Contours has to have one seat taken out to fold. The seats are low. I like the look, but I don't like that you have to take a seat out.

firemomof3

I was in the same situation. I'm a stroller freak so I can tell you a little of my experiences. I had the Phil & Ted E3 and I LOVED IT!!:love: Here are some links that you can look at for reviews and awsome pictures of how versitile it is.
I now have the Baby Jogger City Series Double and its nice. But, as a general rule with side-by-side jogging strollers, its HEAVY & CUMBERSOME to take in/out of the back of my van. BUT, the stroller fits through a standard doorway, pushes/maneuvers like a dream, incredible quality, and has 2 independent reclining seats & sun canopies. If you wanted a double jogging stroller that is side-by-side, I would recommend the Baby Jogger. But its not for serious joggers.
I had the Graco Duoglider for 2 days, and I hated it :thumbsdown:
The best thing to do is to go out and try as many strollers as you can. Try collapsing them, lifting them, pushing them etc. But I think you'll love the Phil & Ted.:thumbsup:
http://strollers.baby-gaga.com/phil-and-teds-e3-explorer.php
http://www.bobbysbest.com/phil-and-teds-sport-buggy-stroller-double-review.html

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'll third the Phil & Ted's recommendation. Normally I don't recommend them, but if you're going to be slinging a lot then it's a really great option for babies so close in age.. You may also want to look into something like a Valco with a toddler seat, or an ABC with a toddler seat.. Your 1.5yo should be old enough for the seat, but it also gives you a lot more flexibility in using such an expensive stroller as a single when you're slinging one of the babies!

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC