The OFFICIAL Britax Frontier Spoilers & Speculation thread (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I closed Part 2 early, because a hiccup was causing new posts not to show up in Hybrid Mode.

To keep the forum from being overwhelmed by multiple threads about the Britax harnessed/booster seat, all further chat on this seat should be confined to this thread. If/when it becomes overwhelmingly long, we'll lock it and start a new one.

I also want to remind everyone that much of what is posted here really is just speculation, and even "official" answers straight from the manufacturer are subject to change. It's fun to speculate about what the seat will be and to opine about the features we think the seat will have. However, until the seat actually hits shelves, we really are just guessing about its features. Rumors--even from trusted sources--can be, and often are, totally wrong.

No one knows for sure when this seat will hit shelves. It's even possible that Britax may scrap it altogether before it ever sees the light of day. No one can say for sure what vehicles it will fit in, how it will fit your child, what it will look like, how padded it will be, how comfortable it will be, how it will or won't adjust, or what kind of unexpected kinks it will still have when it is first released. We don't know how much it will cost or where it will be sold.

Please do NOT call Britax to ask them questions about this seat. Doing so serves only to irritate both you and the Customer Service Reps, because the CSRs don't know anything about it, but 100 million people keep asking them stupid questions about a product that literally doesn't even exist yet, and anything they do tell you is subject to change, which will tick you off when it's not exactly what you were told 6 months before the release.

Here's the link to the previous threads for reference:
Britax combo seat: The Frontier? (consolidated)
The OFFICIAL Britax Frontier Spoilers & Speculation thread
The OFFICIAL Britax Frontier Spoilers & Speculation thread (part 2)

ADS

CandCfam

Re: If the Regent is discontinued....

What the? The Frontier is supposed to have 9 harness slot positions? But maxes out at 18.5". :confused: Ew, I hope someone realizes the error of their ways and raises that top slot position by at least an inch.

BabyKaykes

What the? The Frontier is supposed to have 9 harness slot positions? But maxes out at 18.5". :confused: Ew, I hope someone realizes the error of their ways and raises that top slot position by at least an inch.

I think it was decided that the Frontier had 9 headrest positions, not harness heights. I would think that for a FF only seat from 25-80lb, it would have only 5 harness heights.

CandCfam

I think it was decided that the Frontier had 9 headrest positions, not harness heights. I would think that for a FF only seat from 25-80lb, it would have only 5 harness heights.

That would make sense, but looking at the picture of it, it is indicating lower than where the headrest would be.

crunchierthanthou

That would make sense, but looking at the picture of it, it is indicating lower than where the headrest would be.

I think it looks like 9 harness heights too- a sliding height adjust, but incremental instead of infinite.

Britax's website only lists the Regent as having 19.1" top slots (even if we've seen posters here get taller measurments). That's half an inch different than the Frontier specs. Like I said in the Frontier part 2 thread, I'd rather lose half an inch of harness height to be able to use it on a plane and fit in more vehicles (which I can only imagine will be the case)- not to mention use it as a booster when the harness is outgrown. Really, how many kids pushing the limits on the Regent are in a booster at least part time anyway? Of course, we'll have to see it in use, but the 18.5" top position doesn't bother me. If it has LATCH capabilities as a booster and the headrest doesn't suck, I'm going to really be considering this as our next seat.

okay since the old thread is locked i'll bring the picture over here so people don't have to go back to the old thread....thank you to crunchierthanthou for snapping this photo and sharing it here for all of us to see

britaxfrontier.jpg

personally i think it looks like the nautilus...its not really ugly but what are the top height slots for the radian. i can't see why they would make something smaller when the regent has been such a strong seller. If the harness slots are lower is the radian80 compareable to the height of the regent???

Last edited:

Synchro246

Everytime I see the flyer I chuckle to myself that they thought to use the word "Anthropometrically". I'd love to see their anthropometric research. I really would.

crunchierthanthou

Everytime I see the flyer I chuckle to myself that they thought to use the word "Anthropometrically". I'd love to see their anthropometric research. I really would.

it must be an insider buzzword. Dave from SSK used it yesterday in chat. They decided on the Monterey dimensions by using anthropemetric data and average sizes. :rolleyes:

Synchro246

I'm prettty sure it's a term who's origins lie in anthropology. It refers to measuring humans (obviously :p). Lots of anthropologists focus their whole careers on anthropometrics. I find it interesting. I'm curious if they hired an anthropologist for the job.
:whistle: Maybe I could work for Britax one day :whistle:

jwren

Now is the time to call and put in requests for colors, I did twice a few weeks ago and was told they would forward them on to the R&D dept. I asked for red and black (Like the Monarch) Hopefully they will do a good selection right up front, I sort of promised DS he would have red.. shouldn't have said anything I guess.. Anyway I guess if it takes much longer I will just buy the galaxy nautilus and use it as a spare when the frontier is out... Hoping for some info soon though, I hope they are on schedule..;)

Melizerd

Ok I haven't really been following the thread but I have to say that seeing that picture I'm disappointed.

I want a cute seat :( I know that's not THAT important but I hate the way the GN looks and I was hoping that Britax would do something more fun.

Synchro246

I'd love for it to "go with" the convertable seats, if you know what I mean. Stylistically and with cover choices.
It may be silly.

Are any Britax people known to lurk here?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
There's no doubt the Regent would offer at least an extra year of harnessing. Distressing it's said to be discontinued considering the increase in diagnosis of kids onthe Autism spectrum, etc. yet who may not get insurance coverage for a comparable special needs seat :( I'd mentioned to the rep that they figure out a dedicated combination seat (which this does indeed appear to be) but not at the expense of the Regent :thumbsdown:

crunchierthanthou

There's no doubt the Regent would offer at least an extra year of harnessing. Distressing it's said to be discontinued considering the increase in diagnosis of kids onthe Autism spectrum, etc. yet who may not get insurance coverage for a comparable special needs seat :( I'd mentioned to the rep that they figure out a dedicated combination seat (which this does indeed appear to be) but not at the expense of the Regent :thumbsdown:

I think we need to reserve that judgement until the Frontier is actually available and we can see how it fits children. Britax's measurements show just 0.6" difference. The discontinuation of the Regent is still just rumor and I've not heard anything regarding the Traveler Plus (which has the same size harness slots as the Regent). Yes, I know it is significantly more expensive, but if that half an inch is a true medical need, then insurance should cover the cost. Am I going to sound like a broken record if I say again that I'll willingly give up half an inch of harness height in the hopes of an FAA approved seat that fits in more vehicles and a booster with LATCH?

Synchro246

And *IF* Britax makes the choice to discontinue the Regent in favor of the Frontier--with a .6'' lower harness slot it *might* have something to do with the design and the head excursion numbers that the Regent has. Maybe they tried making the FT have the same slots and it doesn't preform as well. Maybe Britax is heeding to the HWH neck loads stuff. Maybe next year Britax will work to redesign a dedicated HWH that preforms better (and installs more easily) than the Regent.
As much as the Regent is our sweetheart there's room for improvement and I welcome that in whatever (ugly) form it may be.
:twocents:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Honestly, I think Britax SHOULD discontinue the Regent. The new installation instructions are just killing their reputation for having seats that install easily in almost every car - that reputation is what has always made them worth the extra money for me. I'm willing to give up the extra top slot - I know there are kids that need it, but they aren't in the majority. Most kids are ready for a booster by the time they reach an 18" torso.

And I don't mean to sound like I don't care about the kids who need the extra height - Gypsy's DD is one of them and I love her! It just doesn't make sense for any company to put their efforts into a seat that's really only suitable for a minority of kids.

crunchierthanthou

well said, sychro. Yes we recommend the Regent often and it has seen a great increase in popularity in the last two years. I think that's simply a product of the market and people use it because that's all there is. Beyond a few early adopters who have been here for years, EH is a relatively new phenomenon. Until now, harness height has trumped everything but the seat leaves a lot to be desired. If they're going to make a more usable seat that has what I perceive as comparable harness height, I'm all for it. Hopefully the GN and FT are only the start of a flood of new products that combine HWH, convenience and better design.

jwren

Well I don't know about anyone else but I am ready, Britax bring it on.. Looks are cool but definately not my priority of coarse my son would love red...I will have to decide something soon as the crotch strap on his MA is getting too tight for him.:eek: I am running out of adjustments on it too..:( I sure hope they get this one out on time..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC