Where would you rather have your seats checked?

ADS

fyrfightermomma

I would choose FD (am I biased?) But its hit or miss for me. We have techs at my work that are awesome and know their stuff and the FD in the next town is horrible yet my husbands FD is great too. I had some health department people in my CPS class and I wasnt too impressed with their knowledge either at the end of the class. I think its really hit or miss where you go. Try to get recommedations from others who went there.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
No fire departments around here have techs (and therefore don't do seat checks). I don't think our health department, per se, does either. However, several hospitals, police stations, etc. do.

All things being equal (i.e., having certified techs), I'd probably be more likely to go to a health department. My DH is a fireman, and they're required to be up-to-date on so many things, I can't imagine them being exceedingly knowledgeable about new seats (or even older ones). I would think someone employed by a health department might have more time to commit to that kind of thing. But I dunno.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As long as the CPST is current & dedicated, then it doesn't really matter where they work (or don't work as is the case with me) :twocents:

I volunteer with our local Daycare & Child Development Council.

crunchierthanthou

based on the people I saw at my class and those who actually shows up at checks-

Health Department, hands down. Really, half of our instructors work for the HD and are very closely involved with SK. Granted, the only firefighters I've encountered were the two in my course. They didn't do so hot. I guess it just depends on your area.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Neither. I always had faith in my own installs and never went to see a tech until I went to the class to become one. I learned more about proper installs online than any tech could have taught me IRL. But if you have time and think it's a fun thing to do, go teach them something about your obscure Britax seats ;)
If you are so blessed as to have easy to find techs in several departments, neither is really preferrable, they all go to the same certification class, it's a nationally standardized class.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Neither, lol, I'd check my own seat!

Actually, here each of the places that does checks (2 diff police stations, 1 fire station, and 1 hospital) has at least 1 decent certitfied tech/instructor. Those people are good. BUT, they have a bunch of barely certified morons working for them, who I wouldn't trust to check my mail......

I agree, getting a good, certified tech is the best...if you're worried and it's possible, look for someone who is an instructor, since they *should* be much more informed and involved than just a tech.....

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
In this area, I would say the health dept. But that is because I know her and not the fire dept. techs. I think it's just hit or miss, you don't know who is great and who isn't until you meet them. Althoug, frankly, most of the techs I have worked with have been great :)

DabOfLoven

We had ours checked at the police department. They didn't catch a big booboo that I had wrong. I didn't know better and had my DS's bucket install in the center using latch. He wasn't born yet at the time so he wasn't riding in seat. Both seats was a tight install.. but his just wasn't correct. Of course as soon as I found out about it on here I moved it to the passenger side.

I went to the fire department here when I just had DD. I asked if they inspected carseats and they said no, but because they was parents they could tell me if it was safe or not. I'm almost 100% that seat was installed correctly because I've always been VERY cautious about installing good and tight with the straps being in the right spots and the chest buckle being in the right spot. (just new car now with latch and I didn't completley understand it)

So, I really don't know who to trust. I do believe that I have a very good install though between my reading of manuals and commen sense, and you ladies and gents!

wildeyes

for location purposes, i prefer a firehouse where i can drive up into the bay. i have a huge firehouse not far from me that has 10 bays. thats a nice one to go in the winter or rain(or sun etc lol)
as far as the tech goes, it just depends on the person, how dedicated they are, and how interested they are in learning new stuff. and that you have to meet them to find out. i am lucky enough to have several instructors in the area, although i havent been able to met any of them yet... hehehehe

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd rather find a tech I trust myself, and take it to them personally. But if you're asking where I'd rather seat checks be available, I'd say the Fire Department. Because then anyone driving by a Fire Hall could stop in and get a check done. I have no idea where a health department office is located in our city because I've had not reason to ever go to the health department. I also think they'd close at regular office hours (so 4:40pm or 5pm) whereas a Fire Hall would have better hours. :)

Currently our seatchecks in our city are at one of the ambulance places (so done by Paramedics or EMT's who are also techs. Not sure if they bring in other techs to help), there's always a large sign out front saying when the next one is. There may be other seat checks, but this is the obvious one.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
COnsidering the only tech in my area besides me are a judge and firefighters then I will have to say FD. Of course I should not need my seats check since I am a tech :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC