RF vs FF in a plane?

Belle's Mamma

This is probably a dumb questions, but does the fact that an airplane is, well, an airplane and not subject to the same patterns of travel or impact how much does it matter if a child is FF vs RF in a plane? I definitely will have DD RF up until the limits of her carseat can I FF in the plane. She's a peanut, only 1 yr old & 18lbs so the idea makes me nervous even if it's only for 2 hrs. However, I'm considering a Radian 80 which I hear you can't RF in a plane. I really don't want to squeeze her in her bucket seat (she screams bloody murder when I put her in it) & I really don't want to carry it through the airport b/c it's so bulky (I could just plop the radian in the luggage cart) but if it isn't safe to FF in the Radian than I will of course use her bucket seat instead.

Sorry if I'm rambling here...

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't even consider FF'ing my DD, who is 1 yr and 17 pounds :)

For one, the Radian has a 22 lb minimum RF weight. If you get a bulkhead row, you can RF it, otherwise it's so big it's really not going to happen. :( I would probably take her bucket (in fact I had the same dilemma a few months ago and took her bucket).

skipspin

Rfing IS safer than FFing even on the plane, but I would put a child that was over 22 lbs AND 12 months FFing on a plane if it significantly benefited me or the child. I wouldn't do it for a child under 20/22 lb unless the ONLY option was no seat at all, but that can almost always be avoided.

Just my opinion.

natysr

Definately continue to RF on the plane.

1. It is safer.
2. Baby cannot kick seat in front of her.
3. Baby can see you/easier to entertain her.
4. Baby can see you/easier to feed on a plane
5. Baby is already used to being RF, and will be more comfortable and will sleep better.

If all you have is a bucket now, and really want the Radian for your car, then you could get a cheap costco scenera to use for travel. They are very lightweight.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Definitely RF. Most emergencies are not dropping out of the sky emergencies. They're runway emergencies. And those have very similar physics to cars. Just at much faster speeds.

These are just since the new year:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/01/17/heathrow.incident/index.html
http://www.krem.com/topstories/stories/krem2_012708_planeskid.643eda04.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/01/world/main3779672.shtml?source=RSSattr=World_3779672
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/03/03/germany.plane/index.html

Wendy

Cedarmom

I'd figure out how to rf her. Risks aside (and I think they are significant--she's too little to ff, even on an airplane), it is just much much easier to deal with them while they are rfing.

I flew alone with my 2 year old a few weeks ago. I rfed him on all legs of the trip except the last one. I mistakenly thought it might be easier b/c I was having trouble getting the seat installed.

He was uncomfortable (he's used to rfing), and he KICKED the entire time. I would have just made the person in front of me suffer :eek: but he also figured out how to unhook the tray table in front of him with his toes, so during taxi, takeoff and landing I had to hold it up. blah. He also *dropped* everything I handed him. While he was rfing, he couldn't get the stuff to go anywhere. ;)

If you already have the radian, the scenera is a good option. That seat weighs next to nothing and is very easy to haul through an airport. :thumbsup:

I feel your pain. I have two kiddos that *hated* their buckets.

Belle's Mamma

Thank you so much mamas! This was so helpful! I'm going to look into the scenera and if we can't swing it $$ wise (I haven't looked at prices yet) then DD will just have to live with the bucket seat. Thank you again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thank you so much mamas! This was so helpful! I'm going to look into the scenera and if we can't swing it $$ wise (I haven't looked at prices yet) then DD will just have to live with the bucket seat. Thank you again!

The Scenera is $45 at Walmart. They even have a cute girly cover. :)

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC