I am not an uneducated carseat freak!

Ice Princess

:mad: I am so sick of people treating like I am doing my ds a disservice by leaving him rf. He is 35 mos, 30# in a scerena. He is safer but they are so hung up on his legs breaking. I even came back with a calm (but I think you could hear the irritation in my voice) that Sweden has the lowest vehicular death rate for children under five and you know what she came back at me with? Well that is because the walk everywhere and they drive on the wrong side of the road. What:confused: and I am uneducated.

I wish there was some magic wand to wave over people not so they wouldn't be so resistant to change.

ADS

melniemi

I hear you.:) I don't bother retelling the people I have sent links to and talked to about it over and over - they know what I think and have the info. The people I don't know, well, they just look at me funny!

I'm looking forward to becoming a tech, just so I have that to back me up

anna'smommy+1

I know what you mean. I have the same picture from my siggie on another board and had someone give me a lecture on it this morning. They told me it was much safer for a child over 20lbs to forward face because otherwise they will break their legs. I sent her some info on erf and a few links and now she is stinking of turning her dd back around at 2 1/2. She is the easiest person I have ever come across about this issue.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
{{{{{HUGS}}}}} I am sorry :(! I wish we could make all people understand, but it just does not happen. Way to go for still RF at 35 months! :thumbsup:

flipper68

Senior Community Member
:twocents: "uneducated carseat freak" is an oxymoron.

Carseat Freak = someone hyper conscious of child passenger safety. You have to be educated before you can be a freak.

If you are a carseat freak, you are knowledgable about best practice, how seats work to protect kids, "tricks" to improve install, different seat options for kids of different ages/sizes/stages (ERF, HWH, HBB, Convertible and combo seats, dedicated boosters), not to mention price and color options. :love:

chloespurple

Senior Community Member
(((Hugs))) I hope my DD is still RF at 35 months, that is great!
Don't feel bad, at my daughter's 1 year wellness check up, her pediatrician gave me a hard time over the fact I had planned to practice extended rear facing (the whole "leg issue":eek:). Now that I am a tech, she just grins and skips the car seat questions at wellness visits.
It can get annoying to say the least, but just stay positive and look at it as a chance to educate someone on the benefits or ERF:).
Michelle:p

Starlight

Senior Community Member
"Well, you be concerned about him breaking a leg. I'm more worried about him breaking her neck, that's why I'm keeping him rear-facing. After all - broken leg, cast it... broken neck, casket..."

Ice Princess

she still thinks they still drive on the left. i knew she didnt know what she was talking about and grasping for straws. I also told her that there are no documented cases of broken legs, hips, feet and she was all "maybe not but it makes since." I love the girl (she is a friend) but she is not playing with a full deck all the time. :rolleyes: I just dont want to be told I dont know what i am talking about when i read and reasearch constantly.

tjham

My daughter got something similar when she told her MIL about kids RF in Sweden.
The MIL said, "Yeah, but they leave their kids in strollers outside when they go in a cafe." :confused:

Melizerd

I got so tired of explaining the leg/neck thing that I had this made.

Feel free to steal it ;p
longlegs.gif

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
Dd is 6.5yo. When I was pregnant w/ her I joined a pregnancy board that had a chat room attached to it (the site is still active now but the chat room was closed a few years ago, partially due to some of the people I knew there).

I didn't take the CPST class until just before dd's 2nd birthday, but I had done my research while pregnant and tried to share info whenever the car seat topic came up.

Well, this group of moms were not very appreciative of ANY info. Most of them were more interested in convenience than safety and made no bones about how "freaky" I was about safety. Even suggested that I wrapped dd in cotton while at home. :rolleyes:

The breaking point though came when one of them put a webbed folding chair (the old school ones we all had in our backyards growing up) in her car and DUCT TAPPED her child to it...and took a picture.

She posted it on the site to share w/ everyone w/ the comment for me to make sure her child was safely secured in the car. :mad:

Yeah, I left the group after that.

Some people are just going to feel threatened that you are calling them a "bad" parent by choosing to rear face your child longer, or keep them in a harness past 40lbs when they aren't. By making deragatory comments, they establish their position as the "norm" and you are the freaky safety mom.

I now am part of a regional parents group that truley appreciates my "freakiness" and I'm proud to say that after four years of being their car seat resource...almost all the babies stay rear facing past 1yr/20lbs and a good majority of the older kids are harnessed past 40lbs. BUT, my biggest measure of success is that in the car seat section on our message board... I generally don't even have to answer the questions anymore...they all correctly answer them for each other! :thumbsup:

Hang in there, be confident in your choices and some people will listen and apply what they learn...and then others will try to make you look bad so they look good. Unfortunately, sometime life is still like junior high!

IsasMom

Just wanted to add that those fatality statistics are per accident, not per child.

Not that type will listen or care.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
When stuff like this comes up in life, I remember The Four Agreements:
1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.
Simply responding with the fact that legs can be easily mended but spines cannot usually quiets people (if not, they deserve my pity :twocents:)

celtic1885

I love this site - very educational. I only signed up on Monday and have already told everyone I know.
Can someone give me the link where WendyThomas posted all the pictures of her dd at various ages rf? I told a coworker about it, he wants to see it for his kiddos (one is 6days younger than my dd1 and his older one is 5/6 and in a booster - all 36/40 pounds of her!)
Thanks

Something to ask those that are most resistant to ERF, especially those with "broken leg" concerns is this: If the crash is violent enough to cause leg damage from rear facing, where are those forces going to be localized when the child is forward facing in the same crash? Which do they believe is stronger, a leg or the spinal column at the neck? What are the parts of the child's body that are not restrained forward facing? How much force is being applied to the child's spinal cord from the child's unrestrained head at say 25 mph in a forward facing position? Does the spinal column/cord stretch? (The answer to this is yes for the column, not nearly enough for the cord, resulting in traumatic injury to the cord.)

I think the best way for people to come to the realization that ERF is best, is to let them make that conclusion after answering a few questions like those above. Those that are incapable of seeing the benefit may still believe the world is flat, and we can only hope that they are never involved in a collision where their child's safety has been compromised by misinformation. :twocents:

minismom

Just wanted to add that those fatality statistics are per accident, not per child.

Not that type will listen or care.

You mean the Swedish ones? can you elaborate? When I told some people in Brazil that x number of children died in car accidents in Sweden in 9 years vs 50x children died in Brazil in just one year the comment I heard back was the Sweden was the size of the city we lived in, so you couldn't really compare... I didn't really have an answer :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC