Totally off topic, but I need some info about Chicago...

Tracy

CPST Instructor
We will be visiting the Chicago area later this month, specifically the area near Great Lakes. My oldest daughter (24) will graduate from basic training at the Navy Training Center there. She has two days liberty (Saturday and Sunday) with us! We are looking for suggestions on what to see/do that will be fun for her, my middle daughter (22) and my youngest daughter (11). As you can see, we have a wide range of ages! Any suggestions are appreciated. We will rent a car, but are not opposed to trying public transportation while there (we have lots of experience in big cities with subways, buses, etc.).

Any suggestions on hotels in the area? We will fly into Midway, so somewhere near there or north would work.

Also, can anybody tell what to expect weatherwise?

Thanks,
Tracy Tellman
CPST/I
Amarillo, Texas

ADS
I was just there last weekend. If you're staying over a weekend, look into the Club Quarters at 75 E Wacker Drive right on the Chicago River. Great location and cheaper prices on weekends because its a business hotel. We paid about $80 for small, but efficient rooms with queen beds and views of the river. Other relatives had much bigger rooms, but I don't know what they ran or how much bigger. The hotel is affiliated with a parking garage on Randolph, $15 for 24 hours with hotel validation. We parked, then walked or used public transit to get around. Train is $1.75. Cabs are reasonable. We didn't use any buses.

My parents stayed at the Courtyard Marriott at 30 E Hubbard. Another great location, a few blocks from Club Quarters, but I don't know what they paid.

We (14yo, 20yo, 21yo, 22yo) walked to Navy Pier and went to the Sear's Tower. ($11.95 for most ages) The Hershey's store is behind Chicago Water Tower and Pumping Station on Michigan Avenue. That corner is where you can usually get a horse carriage. The Hancock building is also right there.

We ate at Harry Caray's (33 W Kinzie), a few blocks from both hotels I mentioned. We had breakfast at the restaurant in Club Quarters, Bella Bacino. We also ate at the Corner Bakery down the block from Club Quarters. All three were wonderful!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I have more information floating in my head, but I don't know how much you want to know! ;)

Last edited:

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you have events at/near the training center while you are in town? If so, it might be cheaper to stay at a hotel near there (cheaper hotel and parking downtown overnight is expensive) and then just coming downtown for a day or two (either driving or by train).
Otherwise, the PP had some good suggestions for hotels. There are a ton of them around Michigan Avenue, plus lots to do there.

As for weather, it really varies. It's 60 today, but supposed to be 80 this weekend, so you'll need to check as it gets closer. Generally, though, I think the fall is really nice.

Tracy

CPST Instructor
chicago...

Most of our events will be near the training center. We will have to pick dd every morning there and bring her back every night, so I would think we should stay near the training center... any suggestions for hotels near it?

Thanks,
Tracy Tellman
CPST/I
Amarillo, TX

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC