Wow, $429 Safeguard child seat, 22-65 lbs.

I

In The Woods

Saw an article in our local paper today, San Jose Mercury News (Calif.), about a new seat on the market, the Safeguard child seat. Anyone see similar articles in their papers or heard of it? This is the first child seat from this company; their market's been bus seats up to now.

The seat reminds me of the Recaro with its metal frame. Goes up to 65 lbs., like the Britax seats, but I think it's forward-facing only. More at http://safeguardseat.com/ . Just a whopping load of money.

Kristin

ADS

KeikiHula

That seat looks really cool and has a lot of features I like (I prefer that type of lockoff and the head wings look really comfy, and I really like the color choices), but it's WAY too much money for a seat that can't be used rf'ing and only goes up to 65 lbs. If it had a higher weight limit and a lower price, I'd say the Husky/Regent had serious competition.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Think of it as a Volvo...full of safety innovations that maybe a lot of people can't afford or won't buy, but the good parts will trickle down into new seats eventually :)
They side impact tested it, but the dummy's head would still hit the door, so I don't know why they are so proud of THAT (The Recaro seats and Britaxes with SIP actually contain the head from hitting doors and stuff...).
My kids are probably too tall for me to bother buying it, or I probably would (for my car that has curtain airbags), lol.

:D

uccomama

Senior Community Member
Give me a couple of weeks and I will tell you all about it! I couldn't resist because my DS is about to hit 40 lbs and while he is very, very happy in his Recaro Young Sport, I am not quite ready to have him in a booster in my car full time.

I am very excited to be getting this seat. I am hoping it is tall enough to see him through a couple more years of harnessing.

Deborah

shashoo

Good new features!

I don't know if any of you took the time to read the manual for the seat, but it looks like it has some new features I haven't seen on other seats. I don't know how I feel about the new LATCH system. It seems like it would be easier, but i don't know if the average person would take the time to lean on the seat and make sure that it is tight enough. What happens if you can't get the LATCH to retract enough so you are happy with your installation? I do like the idea of the retractable harness, but again...how many people are going to take the time to tighten it just a little bit more with the knobs on the side? I did like the tether tension indicator.
But I can see the non carseat obsessed people out there using this seat carrectly a bigger percent of the time than all of the other carseats that are already on the market.
All in all...good improvements.

Just a side rant....I have seen 4 OHS carseats with children in them without the harness even buckled!!!!! One of the kids was even reaching up and hanging from the handle above the door. I'm sure this happens with other 5 point seats too, but it is just so obvious with the OHS seats. By the way this is all in the same week :eek: . Does anyone know the number off hand that I can call to report this misuse? I am in the NW Suburbs of Chicago. I have thought about the police department but on my way to work I go through 4-5 cities so that would be hard to keep track of.
TIA,
Char

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
There's a hotline for Children's Hospital of Illinois that you can call (at least there's still a recording - I assume they check the message and follow up). I think I found the information on this site somewhere, but the number is 1-888-800-2642 (or #333 from a Verizon cell phone).

From what I can tell, you leave the location, date and license plate number and they send information in the mail to the car's owner. Not as good as something immediate, but it's the best I've found so far.

ETA: I knew I found it on this site. Here's the link:
http://www.car-safety.org/driver.html

j4m4d8

I'm glad someone is ordering the seat! I have a ton of questions I want answered. Not that I can afford this seat anyway. SIGH.

Here's my take on what I saw on the website:

This seat says it goes up to 57 inches, even though the weight is only 65 pounds. That means almost all children should outgrow it by weight. But I'd love to know how high the top harness slots are just to compare to the Husky/Regent which says height up to 53 inches.

The average kid reaches 65 pounds at 9+, which is the more limiting factor on the Safeguard. And the average kid reaches 53 inches at 9+, which is the more limiting factor on the Husky/Regent. For average kids it's a toss up, but probably heavier kids would get more use from the Regent, and skinnier kids from the Safeguard. (Assuming the Safeguard actually has a higher harness position than the Husky.

The Safeguard is certified for aircraft and can be carried by its tether strap over your shoulder, so frequent fliers might be more interested in it.

I like the side cushions for sleeping although it would be nice if they did more in an accident. But the Regent doesn't have any side wings.

One thing that I was surprised to see in the manual is that the Safeguard says to buckle it back up each time the kid gets out so the straps don't get twisted. If you have to do this, it would totally eliminate ease of use in my mind. I wonder if it has something to do with the retractor? I've been hoping for a car seat with a retractable harness, but if you have to rebuckle it every time it might not be worth it.

Anyway, I can't wait to see a review from someone who's actually used it. I think this seat has a lot of neat features, but until someone tries them it's hard to know what pros and cons they have. And at over $400, wow! That's two Huskies!

Julie

KeikiHula

uccomama said:
Give me a couple of weeks and I will tell you all about it! I couldn't resist because my DS is about to hit 40 lbs and while he is very, very happy in his Recaro Young Sport, I am not quite ready to have him in a booster in my car full time.

I am very excited to be getting this seat. I am hoping it is tall enough to see him through a couple more years of harnessing.

Deborah

So is there any carseat you haven't tried?? LOL I love looking at your website b/c you have so many pics of so many different seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I emailed them about that phenomenal 57" height limit... I'm going to say they are shooting for the stars on this one :D. They told me the top slots are 18 inches. That's a *little* higher than the Marathon, but not as high as the Husky. I think 49" would be a more accurate guess that would cover most kids, like the Marathon, to the 95th percentile weight and height of a 6 yo. Though, it's nice to see them not UNDERshoot their height estimate, like the Young Sport does with 40, and the Evenflo/Graco combos do at 43 (really, kids easily make it to 45-47+ in these seats, and the low measurments make parents want to unharness them sooner than they have to, I think).

Anyway, just my 2 cents :)

For some reason, I got a nifty flyer in the mail today from IMMI with lots of color pictures and an invitation to visit their booth at Lifesavers next year....yup, I'll be there!

KeikiHula

joolsplus2 said:
For some reason, I got a nifty flyer in the mail today from IMMI with lots of color pictures and an invitation to visit their booth at Lifesavers next year....yup, I'll be there!

Where is Lifesavers and when is it? It looks really interesting, but I've never seen where it is. Do you have to be a CPStech to go?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Lots of cops and stuff go, too...It's in Austin next April http://www.lifesaversconference.org/
This'll be my third one... I'm nuts, I tell dh I'm going, and that's the end of the discussion... lots of people go with fees paid by their safekids organizations, hospitals, whatever, but I consider it my annual vacation, and cough up all the money myself (hey, we all need hobbies, right? lol)

:D

U

Unregistered

I think Lifesavers coming to Austin is a WONDERFUL thing for the whole state. Tx has such poor car safety laws. They just changed the car seat requirements from 'younger than 4 or less than 36"' to 'younger than 5 and under 36"' must be in a car seat. I believe this means all kids under 5 and all kids under 36" tho it could be interpreted to mean my 3 yr old who is 26 lbs and 36 inches does not need a carseat. Anyone know for sure WHAT it means exactly?
C.

uccomama

Senior Community Member
KeikiHula said:
So is there any carseat you haven't tried?? LOL I love looking at your website b/c you have so many pics of so many different seats.

I am a hopeless car seat addict. :eek: Right now I am down to a Recaro Young Sport and a Recaro Start in my car; a Britax Parkway and a Bodyguard in DH's van. As spares I have Cosco Protek (really!) and a Compass B500 still in its box, never been used, heavens knows why. All the rest have been passed on to new owners.

There are still plenty of seats I haven't tried, but there are just so many seats I can get before DH commits me! :p

Deborah

T

TnT's Mom

Deborah, I have to agree I love looking at the pictures on your site. They have been so helpful. It was your picture of your son in his Boulevard that sold dh on it! I was actually checking it out again because now I am considering a Recaro Young Sport at some point since ds #1 is holding steady at 39 pounds and I like it as a booster after the 40 pound mark because I believe it is one of the ones someone told me could still be tethered when used as a booster? They are actually going to be selling it at Target online...I googled it and this came up but Target's website says it is good for kids up to 59 inches???? Is that accurate?

Anyway, I am so glad I found this forum where there are other people as crazy about carseats as me :)!

uccomama

Senior Community Member
Thank you, I am glad you like my site! Target's description is accurate, the RYS does go to 59", but only when used as a booster.

Deborah

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it's still the same law, essentially...any kid 36 inches or taller (which is about a 2.5-3 yo) does not legally need to be in a seat. They changed the age from 3 to 5, so hopefully people will misinterpret the law and keep their kids in seats longer? (heh, in California it was '6 OR 60 pounds' and when people were 'just sure it's 6 AND 60' I made it a point to NOT correct them, since 60 pounds is an average 8-9 year old!

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC