DS loosening his harness while driving

lizajane30

We have a BLVD and our son recently figured out how to either pull up the release lever, or pull on the strap (which releases the lever) to loosen his harness while I'm driving. He's RF at 2y2m old, and thinks this is a great game. I've been responding with a very measured, "it's not okay to do that, that makes you unsafe in the car and mama has to pull over to tighten the harness." But it's quite a distraction for me to be keeping tabs on whether he's properly restrained or not.

Besides calling Britax to chew them out about what a terrible idea it was to change the release mechanism from the nice button to this lift lever, I know there's an after-market product to keep kids from reaching it. But I can't remember what it's called and I'm skeptical it will actually work. Can someone tell me about it? TIA.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Yes, they have a training tool. It's a plastic guard that makes it so the lever is only accessible from below. Newer covers only have a slit for adjuster access- no more velcro flaps. Call them tomorrow (remember, they close early on Friday). Is he undoing the flap to get to it?

lizajane30

No, this is a new seat (DOM 11/07) so there's no velcro flap. I didn't even realize he was aware of how to do it, as we're pretty sly about the unbuckling in an effort to keep him in the dark about it. So much for that brilliant plan!

I'll call Britax tomorrow. Anyone have photos of this trainer thingy? Do they work?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I don't have pics, but yes, it works. I could barely adjust the harness w/ it on (short fingers) and it definitely stopped Evan. We used it for about 6 mos and now Evan is fine w/out it.

CandCfam

No, this is a new seat (DOM 11/07) so there's no velcro flap. I didn't even realize he was aware of how to do it, as we're pretty sly about the unbuckling in an effort to keep him in the dark about it. So much for that brilliant plan!

I'll call Britax tomorrow. Anyone have photos of this trainer thingy? Do they work?

A member here posted pics a while back.
They are HERE

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC