Is the Sunshine Kids Monterey booster available anywhere?

KarinSDCA

How ironic! I had been hoping and praying I would get one of those "mythical" 19-inch Apex seats, but when DD had such a small amount of growing room left I assumed I didn't. However, it kind of makes sense now if I put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

She had a Graco Ultra CarGo in our Camry and the Platinum version in our Prius. In harness mode, she outgrew the Platinum by height and then outgrew the Ultra harness a little while later. The difference is padding, to my knowledge.

So, I sort of tested the Apex from BRU in our Camry, but the Ultra CarGo was installed in the center seat and another shopper was going beserk over me having my door open and blocking her from parking in the exact spot she wanted (there were lots of other parking spaces available, so go figure). Therefore, I just sat the Apex in the outboard seat and sat DD in it and estimated it would be okay. The angle was wacky, but I attributed it to the CarGo and not the headrest. Definitely not the way I would go again. ;)

Then I ordered the Apex from albeebaby and we tried installing it in the Camry and Prius and discovered all its quirks. It wasn't the right seat, but it was the best harnessed option at that price range and we already had it in our hands. The important bases were covered: it fit in the Prius (family car) while in harness-mode and DD fit in it and she liked it (once the new crotch strap arrived).

Meanwhile, I still wanted to find the right seat, so I dragged DD back to BRU, over to USA Baby, and up to The Right Start. This is when I tested the Regent and Radian and Child Seat. None of them provided any more room than the Apex. In fact, she was at or over the top slots in the Radian and Child Seat. The Regent fit about the same as the Apex, but there was a smidgen more room (roughly 1/4-inch).

I had forgotten all about the possible differences in height on the Apex! If DH had a tape measure handy at work or in the car, I'd be asking him to measure it right now. LOL Meetings? Clients? Conference calls? Who cares...this is a mystery to be solved! :D

ADS

KarinSDCA

Going back to another question I asked in a different thread regarding the Nautilus...

If I can confirm the top-slot height on our Apex is indeed 19 inches, then am I "safe" to drop the Nautilus quest for testing in harness mode and move on to finding appropriate boosters?

BTW, thanks for all the assistance! I was getting very frustrated with all this and now it is starting to make sense, so I feel better... :)

Mama2J

Going back to another question I asked in a different thread regarding the Nautilus...

If I can confirm the top-slot height on our Apex is indeed 19 inches, then am I "safe" to drop the Nautilus quest for testing in harness mode and move on to finding appropriate boosters?

BTW, thanks for all the assistance! I was getting very frustrated with all this and now it is starting to make sense, so I feel better... :)

Yes if the Apex you have is 19 inches, I would buy the booster. Good luck in solving the mystery! :D

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For an almost-seven-year-old of typical physical and mental development, I would not be looking to spend hundreds of dollars to harness for an extra quarter-inch.

Girly_Qs

Interesting. My just-turned-5yo is almost the same size (48" 40lbs, long-torso) has plenty of room in her Regent, both in height and width. We're staying in the Regent (partly because we already invested in it, lol!) because of her age. I'm just not comfortable at 5, but at 7 . . . I think I'd save some $ and go for the booster.

Stretchy Glue

Here's a copy of the email conversation between Russ and I. If I understand correctly, if you haven't ordered yet, you won't be getting your seat until late May or June if you order now. FWIW, I haven't heard exactly from Kathy yet:mad:. I ordered my seat from SKJP March 3, so hopefully I'm on the first shipment.

Joni,

Great to hear from you - I really do think you will love (and I mean
LOVE) the Monterey. Orders will go out to retailer sand techs in the
order in which they were received (this is most fair to everyone). We
have been very much oversold on the initial shipments of Monterey, so
Kathy will be able to reply to you as to when your seat will ship.

I am glad you appreciate our working with the techs, but it is also us
who are appreciative of the techs and the work they/you do. It's a great
service. Keep it up!

Best regards,
Russ

------------------------------------
Sunshine Kids
Russ Berger
russ@skjp.com
3104 142nd Ave East
Suite 105
Sumner, WA 98390
USA
tel: 253-859-5700 ext 240
fax: 253-859-5800
mobile: 617-817-3201
------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:20 PM
To: russ@skjp.com
Subject: Monterey

I ordered one earlier with my tech discount and was wondering if it
would be in the first shipment or a later one? I got an email from
Kathy once but she never replied to my question about when mine would be
shipped. I thought maybe you could help.
As a tech, I really appreciate your company offering us this discount.
It is so nice to have support.

Joni McSpadden

trinityklm

I placed an order at Amazon for a pink Monterey back in February. About a month ago, they sent an email asking if I wanted to continue to wait for my order since they were experiencing "shipping delays." I knew all about that lurking here, so I wasn't concerned. I told them, yes, I still wanted to wait for my order. Today I got an email saying my order was canceled because I did not respond about keeping the order within the specified amount of time.

Has this happened to anyone else??? I'm freaked out because I assume I'm losing my place in line. I did send them an email requesting that they immediately reinstate my order, but I have doubts about that happening.

Also, they don't even show the pink Monterey on their website anymore, so I probably couldn't reorder if I wanted to.

Does anyone here have any insight?

Edited to add: I just talked to someone at Amazon and they can't reinstate my order for the pink one because it isn't even on the website anymore. I'm NOT happy!

Last edited:

trinityklm

I finally got an email from Amazon explaining that they can't get the pink one so they canceled my order. Funny how they started out trying to blame me. I would have much preferred they tell the truth from the beginning. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else who ordered that color from Amazon.

I ended up placing an order for a pink one at Elite car seats. It costs more with tax and shipping, but its probably better customer service. They're still saying it's back ordered.

Does anyone have any new news about this seat and when it might show up?

mom2be

I checked on Elitecarseats.com today and saw that they no longer list the Sunshine Kids Monterey booster (in all colors) as backordered. They are in stock. I would be interested to know the feedback on this booster if anyone as received one yet.

trinityklm

I got an email today saying my pink Monterey is on the way from Elite car seats. Now, I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm very excited! I'll let you know when/if it shows up!

ZephyrBlue

Elitecarseats.com definately has them instock- mine shipped today and I have a FedEx tracking number that is registering. Russ from SK told me once that this is their favorite retailer, so I'm guessing that's why they got the first shipment.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC