Is the Sunshine Kids Monterey booster available anywhere?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Oh, okay! That makes sense :p

I wonder if they actually got them in yet then if they are out of stock the day after they are available :confused:

My guess is no... since we were supposed to get ours in April and it got pushed back to May. :(

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Russ has said that because of the weather in China, they won't be receiving them at SSK in WA until the very end of March, very beginning of April, and it will take retailers about a week from there to start shipping them, so people who order before April should have them by mid-April.

KarinSDCA

EEK! I don't know if I can wait that long. :( DD's shoulders are below the top slots on the Apex by about a half-inch (maybe a little less), but complains every time we ride in that car that her thighs/groin area are "squished" and she looks uncomfortable. We already have the longer crotch strap and without that the seat would have been completely useless for us. We cannot use it as a booster in either vehicle (too wide for current vehicle and improper headrest issue in other vehicle).

I found the Nautilus in person, but it was still sealed in the box (as it should be) and the store didn't have any on display to see if DD would fit and/or liked it. I know she is borderline, so I didn't want to buy it and have to return it...especially after reading that stores are supposed to legally destroy them if the box is open. :eek: What a waste!!! Yet, I understand the flip side (buying a used seat with an unknown history...thinking it is brand new). What a paradox. In any case, I don't wish to participate in such a wasteful practice.

Has anyone been able to test a Nautilus in Wal-Mart? Are other stores carrying them now? Do any of them allow testing before buying? Even just putting my DD in it in a store is a start, although getting it out to my car would be more accurate. I could at least rule it out if she hated it or her shoulders were even or above the top slots in the store...

See, I would rather keep her in a five-point, but she is outgrowing them faster than manufacturers can produce them for tall, lightweight children...

Mama2J

I'm not sure if WM allows you to take seats out to the car and test them, but you can always ask if you find a display. But I think WM bolts them down too, so maybe not.

If she still has room in the Apex, she should fit in the GN. I think the Apex is around 17" high and the GN 18.5" high. Or you could get a Regent, although it is expensive, but would last longer.

KarinSDCA

While I have seen the numbers and have heard many people say DD would have more growing room in the Regent, I haven't seen it. I had the Apex installed in one outboard position in our vehicle and went to the store and installed the test Regent in the other outboard position and had DD sit in both and compared. She only had a smidgen more room in the Regent than she did in the Apex at the time (6-7 months ago). I had gotten the Apex on sale for $89 and it can be used as a booster, so I kept it and decided we'd revisit the issue when she outgrew it. Here we are and it turns out we cannot use the Apex as a booster because it covers up the seatbelt buckle stalk.

DD is only 41 pounds, so we'd prefer to keep her in a five-point. She's going to be seven years old later this month and she is 47-ish inches tall.

Mama2J

If she's almost 7 and over 40 lbs., I'd be comfortable with a booster. I didn't catch her age before; I thought she was younger. Hopefully you can wait for the Monterey. But if not, maybe get a cheaper booster in the meantime and keep it as a spare once you get the Monterey?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's bizarre...the Regent is like 4 inches taller than the Apex :confused: Could be that crazy thing where the test bench doesn't fit like a car, but you got the flip flop result, she had less room out of the car. Have you seen these comparison pictures? http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx I should have taken one of my 10 yo in the Regent before I sold it a couple weeks ago (55 inches and a little room to grow...)
I'd preorder the Monterey and just hope they are out for delivery sooner than the expect, it's only a couple more weeks...
(and not sure what you mean about the headrest for the apex in the other car, it needs a proper headrest when harnessed or boostered).

KarinSDCA

That is really quite bizarre :scratcheshead: My DD outgrew the Apex harness by height last summer & still has at least 2 more years in the Husky/Regent....

It IS bizarre and BTW I love that smiley! LOL The owner of the small boutique store who seemed much more knowledgeable than most carseat salespeople helped me install the seat with LATCH and she, too, was perplexed. The seats were right next to each with very little room in between since both are wide and this was the backseat of our Prius. DD got into one and then the other and I snapped pictures. I wonder where those shots are???

KarinSDCA

(and not sure what you mean about the headrest for the apex in the other car, it needs a proper headrest when harnessed or boostered).

We cannot use the Apex at all in the Camry due to the weird headrests. They stick into the backseat space when left as normal, which puts the Apex into a very uncomfortable (and seemingly unsafe) angle forward. When I flip the headrest around, it snaps the top tether cover shut (I didn't have it tethered for the test at first) and it (headrest) wouldn't stay on when I did tether the carseat because the posts couldn't go down far enough to be secure.

KarinSDCA

Ah maybe that's why. In that case, I'd definitely go with a booster. Karin, could you measure the top slot on your Apex?

DH has that car today, but I can measure it tomorrow. :) BTW, it's official name when I purchased it was something like Safety First Signature Biltmore??? Does that sound right? The paperwork is also in the Prius, so I cannot look it up. I got it at albeebaby.com. Just in case either of those facts would help clear up the mystery. ;)

Mama2J

Yes that seat has gone under a few different names. As far as I'm aware that was not a connection to the harness height though. Most of them are 17 inches, but I have heard of some being 19.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC