ff Radian in a Subaru

crunchierthanthou

specifically, with a seatbelt in a 2001 Outback with leather seats.

It seems like there are often posters looking for 3 across or HWH solutions for Subarus. I went to USABaby yesterday to try it out so I could know for sure when recommending it- rather than just saying "you can't use LATCH in the center at all or past 48 lbs outboard ... long buckle stalks... low belt path... try it out first... blah blah blah."

outboard- :thumbsup: although, I didn't like what it did to the seatbelt and it took 2.5 twists of the buckle stalk (3 kept trying to be 2.75 and made the seatbelt lie even more funny). 2.5 made it difficult to unlatch the seatbelt. The latchplate was right up against the beltpath, but it was solid.

center- :thumbsup: I had to lower the ff recline foot and kneel on it with all of my chubby self. it took 2 twists of the buckle stalk and I could have used a second set of hands to get it to retract one or two more clicks. There was a bit of slack in the shoulder portion and I couldn't get any more webbing to feed into the ceiling mounted retractor. It moved less than 1/2", so certainly acceptable.

next to a rf MA- :thumbsdown: There was about 1/8" between the MA and the door and significant tippage. When I uninstalled the radian, the MA moved about 5 inches.

Three across or side by side would probably work with multiple radians. FF Britax convertibles outboard may also work, but there will likely be some shell overlap.

pictures of the seatbelt outboard-

0305081524-1.jpg

0305081524a-1.jpg

bottom line- it was a bit tricky and certainly wasn't my favorite installation and I probably wouldn't choose one for myself. However, it can work in situations where narrow seats are necessary.

ADS

BudgieStew

Thank you. :)
My DH is considering replacing his car with a Subaru of some sort of the years 2001-2003 .
DS Radian will be installed in it FF and I was wondering how it would install.
I am going to try a center install first(providing there is center tether anchor) and hope that DH is able to get DS in with no problems otherwise he will have to go passenger outboard.

crunchierthanthou

be installed in it FF and I was wondering how it would install.

There should be. I think almost all sedans/wagons after 2000 have three top tether anchors.

edit: I confirmed in the LATCH manual that all 2001-2007 Subaru vehicles have three TAs (5 in the 7 passenger B9 Tribeca). :)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Thank you. :)
My DH is considering replacing his car with a Subaru of some sort of the years 2001-2003 .
DS Radian will be installed in it FF and I was wondering how it would install.
I am going to try a center install first(providing there is center tether anchor) and hope that DH is able to get DS in with no problems otherwise he will have to go passenger outboard.

I need to change my sig, but I have Radians installed center in a 2001 Legacy wagon and 2003 Forester.

BudgieStew

Happy to know that it is possible:)

I just get the feeling from this board that the Subaru is a tricky install because some or all? have a middle hump and the seatbelt stocks are long.

I've never even been in one before but hope I have a chance to at least peek in one, if not the one we end up with. Its second car that I am in very rarely in so my input is not that important.
It's not for sure what year or model we will get. DH just told the dealership his price range and requirements. So they are looking for one that meets them.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Happy to know that it is possible:)

I just get the feeling from this board that the Subaru is a tricky install because some or all? have a middle hump and the seatbelt stocks are long.

I've never even been in one before but hope I have a chance to at least peek in one, if not the one we end up with. Its second car that I am in very rarely in so my input is not that important.
It's not for sure what year or model we will get. DH just told the dealership his price range and requirements. So they are looking for one that meets them.

Tricky, yes, it was. The installation in the Forester was, without exaggeration, the hardest installation I've ever done -- but it's in there and it doesn't move. The Legacy was somewhat easier, but still not *easy*.

crunchierthanthou

Yes, long buckle stalks, no center LATCH and center humps make for tricky installs. Combine that with the low ff beltpath of the Radian and I'll admit to being surprised yesterday. Outboard isn't as much of a problem (especially with the lower anchors), but we would be eating the dashboard if it was rf. I can't get Britax seats rf in the middle at all. It's also very narrow. Here's the backseat of my car.

contour.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC