Changed my Radian buckles and crotch strap

obnurse19

What a pain in the neck! I was seriously ready to throw that car seat, and it was heavy!

The buckle tongs are WAY to small for starters. You cannot get them off the straps without some serious sweat and a few tears! Where the strap folds over on itself and is sewed, it is too wide to fit through the slot. It was horrible! Same thing with the chest clip.

I got them all off and replaced the chest clip with a new Britax one. I am much happier with the wider spacing of the straps (this is okay I think right?) I also got the longer crotch strap and I like that too. The wider buckle tongs are much nicer too.

Now to get it installed again...

ADS

Tara

I swapped the chest clip some time ago and I agree, much happier with that wider spacing. The straps lie flat and snug up better than they did with the other clip. ;)

I finally got my wider buckle tongs a week or so ago. I've yet to swap them. I'm still undecided on the matter, honestly. I've heard just enough from both sides of that coin. Folks who have used the smaller one since the Radian first came to be and haven't had any issues. And Russ assures me the straps undergo rigorous testing so fraying really shouldn't be an issue.

But, our straps do fold in a bit. Just a wee tiny bit. I'm not overly concerned. It hasn't interfered with anything at all.

I'm wondering about a longer crotch strap now though. I'm seeing how that could prove useful. I shoulda 'griped' about that to Russ when I emailed him about the buckle tongs, maybe I could have gotten that for free too ?? LOL Nah, I don't see that in the same way I did/do the tongs. So, if I want it, I'll pay. But anywho..

What size kiddo you have? My dd is 4..the crotch strap is 'fine' but I can see how the longer one would be nice for her size/age. Just wondering where yours was.

I'm not looking forward to the buckle tong exchange though..hence my procrastination. I want to make sure that's REALLY what I want before I go through the hassle. I sure don't want to get them swapped then want the smaller ones back! LOL

Good luck with that re-install ;)

obnurse19

My DS is 2 1/2. I just bought the longer strap because I was already placing an order (tongs, and 2 carry straps), but I do like it. DS is obviously a boy (LOL) and still wearing a diaper. So the longer strap is nice to go over his bulky diaper area. I was not displeased though with the strap that was on there.

I REALLY like the wider tongs. My smaller ones were curling the straps a bit, and after using nothing but Britax's for years, I am spoiled!

Getting those smaller ones off the strap though is a SERIOUS pain. Have a glass of wine handy, and begin sipping at the start of the process. If I wasn't preggo, I would have been doing this. Would have made the process less painful!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Like the pain of labor, you DO forget the pain of radian harness changeovers :D
I love the longer strap because that harness is SUCH a pain to adjust when RF ...you don't have to loosen and tighten so much when you have a nice long strap to buckle to... :thumbsup:

singingpond

how did you get a longer crotch strap?

Longer crotch strap and wider buckle tongs/tongues are available from the Sunshine Kids website (i.e. you order them and pay for them). The different chest clip people refer to is the type seen on Britax seats, and most people who replace their Radian chest clip order the replacement from Britax (SK has tested their seat with this type of clip, and therefore it is almost certainly an approved use, even though it changes the spacing of the harness straps at the shoulders).

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC