Chevy Traverse Info/Discussion

Mama2J

Well, I can't seem to get away from this car shopping! I'm considering the Traverse when it comes out next year. So for anyone interested in this new vehicle, maybe we could share any info we get about it. :)

On the Chevrolet site:
http://www.chevrolet.com/traverse/

A review on Consumer Guide:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2009-chevrolet-traverse-future.htm

A video from the Chicago Auto Show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K4O6ilvx_Q&feature=related

Another video on Cars.com
http://www.motherproof.com/2008/02/video-2009-ch-1.html

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Traverse is Chevy's corporate sibling to the already available Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia models, which have been on the market for a model year or two. Assuming the Traverse's interior is comparable or similar to the Outlook's, you can check out the thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=20869 about installing carseats in the Outlook with some very helpful photos to give you a preview. :)

Mama2J

The Traverse is Chevy's corporate sibling to the already available Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia models, which have been on the market for a model year or two. Assuming the Traverse's interior is comparable or similar to the Outlook's, you can check out the thread at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=20869 about installing carseats in the Outlook with some very helpful photos to give you a preview. :)

I did check that thread, and was considering buying an Outlook or Acadia earlier this year. We don't have any GMC or Saturn dealers in our town, but we have a big Chevy dealer, and my husband did not want to go too far to get one (and for service).

From the "Look Inside" video, it looks like it only has 3 tether anchors :thumbsdown:

I have to get a better look at that video when I'm home. It's hard to look here (and I don't have sound), and I have to keep pausing it when people walk by. Is there a tether for the second row center? Is that where all the tethers are, in the second row?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is there a tether for the second row center? Is that where all the tethers are, in the second row?

In the video I looked at, the second row had two bucket seats, so I assume each bucket had a tether (I couldn't see them.) I could only see one tether anchor on the third row - it was in the centre. Different seating configurations may provide different options (and I only gleaned that from looking at the video ;))

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
There is the option for a 2nd row bench and the center does have a top tether.

There is only 1 top tether in the 3rd row but that is typical for most SUV/crossovers.

We are buying a Traverse at the end of this year as they are due out in Aug/Sept time frame.

Mama2J

Jenny, I'll be looking forward to your pictures!

I definitely need to be able to tether from the second-row center position. I'm not really concerned about the third row LATCH/tether. I can use that row for adults if necessary.

I just talked to a Saturn rep, and she said there are 4 sets of LATCH/tether anchors in the Outlook, one in each outboard position and only a lap belt in the center. So no boosters in the center. I hope that is not the case for the Traverse.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Jenny, I'll be looking forward to your pictures!

I definitely need to be able to tether from the second-row center position. I'm not really concerned about the third row LATCH/tether. I can use that row for adults if necessary.

I just talked to a Saturn rep, and she said there are 4 sets of LATCH/tether anchors in the Outlook, one in each outboard position and only a lap belt in the center. So no boosters in the center. I hope that is not the case for the Traverse.

The both centers have lap/shoulder belts so that is not the case at all.

Here is Trudy's pictures of her Outlook (Saturn). This is the 2nd row center and you can clearly see that the SafeSeat1 is installed with a lap/shoulder belt.

carseat2ndfolderstartjuly07009.jpg

The 3rd row center belt is also a lap/shoulder belt. It's set up like the Toyota/Honda belt were it comes from the ceiling and you click it into a small buckle that turns it into a lap/shoulder belt then you click it into the main belt stalk.

Mama2J

Oh good, I'm glad it has lap shoulder belts. I actually didn't think any newer cars had lap-only belts anymore, and thought it was a little odd when she said that.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Like Jenny said, the rep is wrong. All seating positions in the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave & I'd assume the Traverse as well, have lap/shoulder belts. Unless chevy breaks the pattern, at present the outlook, acadia, and enclave are all identical except basically for styling and brand. Physical interior space for passengers, the way the seats flip forward, distance between 2nd and 3rd rows and cargo area are all identical. They all have the same chassis and same engine. But the exterior & interior styling, standard features and options are different between brands. For example, in the Outlook you can only get 2nd row captain chairs if you upgrade to the XR model. You don't have to do that with the acadia...

So anyways, you're likely to see different padding and colors, different overall look, but it's most likely to be the same vehicle.

Oh, and in vehicles with 2nd row bench, there are 2 LATCH and then 2 tethers, for a total of 4 top tethers. 2nd row outboard seats have full LATCH, center of 2nd and 3rd row have only a top tether.

This picture here is a back shot of a radian and you can see how the 3rd row center seatbelt comes down from the ceiling:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/car seats/radianoutlookinstalls011.jpg
(the 60 portion of the 2nd row was tumbled forward in this picture, and SS1 base is sitting in the MA. For the record, I have to go out and try again, but I'm not sure if the Radian is compatible in the center 3rd row or not. The MA is easily compatible though.

Jen - Can you tell me if the Acadia's 3rd row center position looked like this with the contouring?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/snowbird25ca/car seats/radianoutlookinstalls014.jpg

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
From what I remember it did.

The Traverse will have everything the Outlook/Enclave/Acadia has plus more optional features (back up camera, heated & cooled seats, different engine-but I am sure all will be going to this one this fall and a lot more). I am sure most of these features will be implements in all of the other brands too.

GM usually only changes styling and and select features between shared models but all the major componiants are all the same.

Mama2J

Thanks for posting all those pics Trudy. I'll go back and look through your thread again.

I can see where the rep got confused now. She was saying that there is LATCH in all outboard positions for a total of 4 sets. There are also 4 tether anchors, but she was not thinking of them separately from the lower anchors and said they were in the same 4 positions.

Another quick question: Do these vehicles allow borrowing lower anchors to use in the center? We will probably just use the seatbelt anyway, but it is good to know, and will probably have a LATCH booster eventually too.

ETA: I was noticing how narrow the center seat is. I'm wondering if the Regent will fit there. I'll have to try it when the time comes.

Last edited:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Thanks for posting all those pics Trudy. I'll go back and look through your thread again.

I can see where the rep got confused now. She was saying that there is LATCH in all outboard positions for a total of 4 sets. There are also 4 tether anchors, but she was not thinking of them separately from the lower anchors and said they were in the same 4 positions.

Another quick question: Do these vehicles allow borrowing lower anchors to use in the center? We will probably just use the seatbelt anyway, but it is good to know, and will probably have a LATCH booster eventually too.

ETA: I was noticing how narrow the center seat is. I'm wondering if the Regent will fit there. I'll have to try it when the time comes.

This vehicle does not allow borrowing due to spacing. The center position is very narrow. I am not sure the Regent would work in the center (sorry the one we had for a week had caption chairs in the 2nd row). I do know that the Regent does install beautifully in the caption chairs with no issues.

abharrington

can anyone comment on the cargo space in these vehicles? they seem like a good option to a mini van (right?) with similar passanger capacity. i was wondering if they would be a good choice for a family of 7 (5 kids) with cargo room for weekend trips and such. or stroller and groceries?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
can anyone comment on the cargo space in these vehicles? they seem like a good option to a mini van (right?) with similar passanger capacity. i was wondering if they would be a good choice for a family of 7 (5 kids) with cargo room for weekend trips and such. or stroller and groceries?

Let me see if I can find the cargo area picture but yes it has a lot of cargo room behind the 3rd row when in use. You could easily get a stroller & a lot of groceries in the cargo area.

abharrington

oh that does seem decent. i'm guessing its comprable to what you would have in a mini van? i'm so spoiled by the nice roomy back of my 4runner (no 3rd row of seats) :wink

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
oh that does seem decent. i'm guessing its comprable to what you would have in a mini van? i'm so spoiled by the nice roomy back of my 4runner (no 3rd row of seats) :wink

The 3rd row does fold flat so it will give you more room behind the 2nd row then the 4runner does.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC