Were there any positive outcomes from the $99 short-strapped Radians?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was just wondering if we knew of anyone who did send their seats to PJM, and what happened when they did?

Just curious!

ADS

ladybug_mom

I was one of the lucky ones that returned mine locally to CT to get a longer strapped seat, as did a friend who bought 2 for her twins. There was no way I was going to pay out of pocket to ship them from NB to BC though.:mad:

What makes me mad, is that I know that there is atleast 7 seats that were sold in the 3 CT stores locally during that sale that may have short strapped seat that have no idea!

Did I hear a rumour that they are going on sale again this weekend for $129? I'm seriously thinking about buying one for a spare if it's short-strapped to fight this with them also to save that person who's completely oblivious to the fact is short-strapped! It's SK's problem that they even allowed these short-strapped seats to get out in the first place and they should be absorbing the costs.

Sorry mini-rant over! :)

Rockafeller

I purchased two Radian's from CT for $99 this week. They did tell me they would be in the flyer starting today for $129. The ones I brought home did end up both being the short strapped version. It's true SK is only willing to replace the straps and you have to pay shipping both ways - I fought with him about it but he says it has to be fair for everyone. My argument was that they much more fair to others prior and these new rules they have are not being fair. They wouldn't even let me drop it off and pick it up in order to be fair everyone must use a courier. I told him nothings fair and you can never treat everyone equal. Anyways that being said I bought these for my 3 yr old and 6 mth old and there looks to be ALOT of harness still available. SK said I can do this down the line if I was (the offer doesn't expire). [as long as they don't go out of business!] Their explanation for the short strap version is that is the way the 47 pd version was always and that they started adding a longer strap to get ready for the 65 pd version. I don't buy it, if that was true why would they have replaced all those other peoples seats. I hate being lied to.

Mara1973

Oh boy....Russ at SK as I have been battling over this one for a few months now. There have been a few people that have somehow had them replaced, and they were 65lb versions to boot. She only had to cut the straps out of her old ones and send those back. I am still working on it.

SK's response it quite frankly a load of BS, and I will go on record with that one. They are being quite unreasonable. There were a few batches with the short straps and seats BEFORE this date were manufactured with the longer straps as well. TC can not force a recall as it is not a safety issue, more of a manufacturers quirk. I am still working on it though, don't give up yet.

But keep nagging them I say. Tell him Tamara sent you lol...Ok, maybe not.

russ@skjp.com
tel:253-859-5700 ext 240
fax: 253-859-5800
mobile: 617-817-3201

I am insisting they send me 2 new seats and allow me to send the straps back from the old seats. They initially said it affected 25ish seats, but I personally know of about 30 myself, so that is frankly quite impossible. They keep changing their story and suddenly when they have a problem, the straps were supposed to be that way. But they refuse to answer why seats made before that date were fine.

Mara :)

smurf

PMJ (whatever the CDN's distributor's name is) did zilch for me, but a call to Russ solved my problem. I got a brand-new 48-lbs Radian (had to give them my Visa #) and sent mine back (Canada Post, cheapest way). I feel they should pay for shipping for a defective product, but hey, I got a new seat and that's all that matters.

The whole episode (especially PMJ's response, or lack thereof) left a bad taste in my mouth. Unfortunately I will probably buy another SK product (their new Monterrey booster, which should come to Canada on the new few months, or so I'm told).

Oh, but my Radian was the $199 version from CT, DOM 08/06. Basically the same lot they're clearing out now, I think.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
SK/PJM has been inconsistent in this issue. They have sent out replacement seats for some and not others (since the $99 sale). Mara and I have helped one lady who then had 3 of her RNs replaced by having the straps cut off her RNs and send the straps back to PJM. Mara has 2 and is having problem with Russ agreeing to do the same. Fair to all?

Sheez, it galls me every time I have to tell a parent about the RN. But being a tech is to be impartial and suggesting the most suitable option for a child, so at the moment, the RN works for many kids. I can't wait for the Nautilus and Frontier to get up here so at least we have more alternatives :)

snowbird25ca

They initially said it affected 25ish seats, but I personally know of about 30 myself, so that is frankly quite impossible. They keep changing their story and suddenly when they have a problem, the straps were supposed to be that way. But they refuse to answer why seats made before that date were fine.

I was one of the lucky ones who got a replacement with a 65lb seat prior to the change of policy (which took effect when CT cleared the Radian's for $99...)

I was told by Russ then - and I talked to him on the phone, that they estimated 25 to 50 seats had mistakenly had the wrong harness length put on them. He told me I was about the 25th person or so to have a seat replaced for this reason and he figured they must be nearing the end. Judging from the posts that showed up here after the $99 sale, I'm hedging bets that the number of seats affected are actually upwards of 100 if not close to 200 or greater. If you think of what a small piece of the puzzle we get from people who post here, and the sheer number of people that have had short straps or seen short straps in stores - and some who've had multiple short strap seats, there has to be many many more out there that parents have no clue about.

There was my short strapped seat and then the display was also short strapped at the store I bought at. I know Tam tried how many times to get a seat with regular length straps and kept getting short strapped seats and at one point opened up 4? boxes that were from a new shipment - all of which had short straps. So Tam all by herself accounts for seeing at least 6 from the time that the $99 sale happened. I've seen 2 counting my own... The #'s just don't add up to the initial story given.

But I'm not surprised there won't be a recall since it's not a safety issue. It's too bad they won't issue just an information notice though for parents to contact SK to have their straps replaced. (Apparently they are now actually replacing the straps on the seats if you ship the seat to them, so you'll get the same seat back with the correct length of straps...)

Anyways... guess I'm joining the still irked about how the situation was handled band wagon, but I am grateful that I was a lucky one who got my seat replaced without hassle. I'd have been perfectly content with a 48lb seat, getting a brand spanking new seat was just a bonus. (Although I wonder if I got a newer seat because he knew I was a tech?)

BudgieStew

I don't think you got a brand new seat because you are a tech.

I think it just happened at the same time the shipments the 65 lb seat was arriving and you lucked out.
I remember this because Russ e-mailed me to let me know that my replacement seat would be arriving the same week the new shipment did and I was hoping that it would be a 65lb seat but then TJ Kids sent me out the replacement seat earlier then expected and it was the 48lb limit. I expect TJ's was getting rid of the old stock before the new arrived.y.

Then the next week when the new shipment was arrived they sent you out a 65lb limit.

I kicked myself a wee bit over that as I was waiting months for the replacement and had started prodding Russ to get the replacement sent out ASAP since I was heading out on holiday.

But the 48lb limit does not bother me now as I expect DS will outgrow it by height before weight and I can always pass the seats on to my DD.

Besides that I do plan to replace the Radian's with the Frontier and the Nautilus...if either ever make it to Canada.

hipmaman

I know Tam tried how many times to get a seat with regular length straps and kept getting short strapped seats and at one point opened up 4? boxes that were from a new shipment - all of which had short straps. So Tam all by herself accounts for seeing at least 6 from the time that the $99 sale happened. I've seen 2 counting my own... The #'s just don't add up to the initial story given.

I have personally checked 2 Radians I bought, 5 still boxes that the 2 stores allowed me to checked and 1 on display at one of the two stores.

I'd have been perfectly content with a 48lb seat, getting a brand spanking new seat was just a bonus. (Although I wonder if I got a newer seat because he knew I was a tech?)

Being a tech does not help :) Mara and I haven't gotten anywhere. But what might have worked was the seats bought before CT cleared them out at $99. Those that have bought the same seats at regular price seemed to have better treatment than those that bought them at $99. My observation...

For $129, I might buy one to keep it for educational purpose or just to have so I can take pictures and compare to other seats I have at home and at the SJA office.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC