Nautilus crotch buckle question

singingpond

I finally saw a Nautilus at the local WalMart yesterday. Looks nice, but I think I'll hold out for the Galaxy pattern at BRU before seriously considering it.

Anyway, I wondered how those who are already using the seat find the operation of the crotch buckle in practice? I was surprised to see that you have to push downward (not push a button in toward the child, as on most/all other seats I have seen) to release the buckle. It felt pretty awkward to do on the display model. Maybe it was just my angle w.r.to the seat, or the fact that there wasn't a child in it? Or is it harder to operate?

Also, I was struck by how small/narrow the buckle tongues look on this seat. I'm sure it's been tested, but it seemed surprising that the tongues looked smaller on this HWH seat than on all the other lower weight rated seats on the shelves next to it.

Does anyone know if WalMart puts returns back out for sale? I am tempted to try the seat to see if it actually fits in my car (it's really marginal according to measurements, and I would have to try it to be sure). I wouldn't snap the armrests all the way in, so I could repackage it for return. I know some places have policies of destroying returns, and I wouldn't want to risk that, just to do a trial fit.... Maybe I should just wait for BRU to stock the seat, since they do allow you to take display models outside.

Katrin

ADS

Mae

I know that the safeseat1's by graco have the "pull down" buckle-- I actually find it easier, but thats the ss1, not the nautilus.

Airforcemomma

I finally saw a Nautilus at the local WalMart yesterday. Looks nice, but I think I'll hold out for the Galaxy pattern at BRU before seriously considering it.

Anyway, I wondered how those who are already using the seat find the operation of the crotch buckle in practice? I was surprised to see that you have to push downward (not push a button in toward the child, as on most/all other seats I have seen) to release the buckle. It felt pretty awkward to do on the display model. Maybe it was just my angle w.r.to the seat, or the fact that there wasn't a child in it? Or is it harder to operate?

Also, I was struck by how small/narrow the buckle tongues look on this seat. I'm sure it's been tested, but it seemed surprising that the tongues looked smaller on this HWH seat than on all the other lower weight rated seats on the shelves next to it.

Does anyone know if WalMart puts returns back out for sale? I am tempted to try the seat to see if it actually fits in my car (it's really marginal according to measurements, and I would have to try it to be sure). I wouldn't snap the armrests all the way in, so I could repackage it for return. I know some places have policies of destroying returns, and I wouldn't want to risk that, just to do a trial fit.... Maybe I should just wait for BRU to stock the seat, since they do allow you to take display models outside.

Katrin
I think it depends on the Walmart. I have purchased what I thought was a new seat only to get it home and find cracker crumbs in it. That was not from our local store, that was from the store in Kitchener/Waterloo. I know from experience that our local Walmart says they destroy returned car seats.

So, you may have to ask the store you would be buying it from.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I like the push-down buckle. Feels less intrusive to the "personal space" of the child. I think it would probably be easier for an escape artist to get out of, though.

houseofboys

I don't find it any easier or harder than the push-button seats that we've had before (and I agree with the PP that I like not having to push the buckle into the child's "space"), but DS does seem to have a bit more trouble with it sometimes.

DiaSmall

At first I wasnt sure of the push down buckle... but I too agree it makes "personal space" isssues better. I also think it would be nearly impossible for a child to release on their own. Its harder to open than a traditional buckle but not bad once you are used to it. I still think the FPSVD buckles are easier to use.

The skinny little tongs caught my eye too... I'm thinking *this* is supposed to restrain 65lbs? But then if u think about it the buckle doesnt really take the full blow of force... the shell of the car seat takes most of it. I'm just trusting Graco on that one. I have noticed that when releasing the tongs sometimes they get hung up and you have to turn them back to straight with the holes to get them out... or give it a little shake.

My 3.10yo can fully buckle himself into the GN... I just have to loosen the harness a tad so its easier. I always tighten it back up. He can NOT un buckle any part of it.. not even the chest cliip.

So to sum it up, its just different. Not bad, just different.

My walmart resells returns in perfect condition that have thier boxes.

stephanie

Just got mine about an hr ago. My daughter will be 4 next week & she can buckle & unbuckle it herself. She's quite excited about this. She knows not to EVER unbuckle it when we're driving though. She undid the chest clip on her ET once & we had a very firm chat about never doing that again & she hasn't.

zactayaus

I actually find the push down button on the GN much easier to use than any of the push in buttons I have ever used. I can always do it with just one hand, where with some of our other seats I actually had to use both hands to push in the button to get them to un-lock.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC