I have a 1986 Dodge Caravan. It has only lap belts in
the back seats.
I need to buy carseats for my 2 kids: DD #1 age 6,
37 pounds, 42 inches tall; DD #2 age 3, 27 pounds, 39
inches tall.
Should I check into getting shoulder belts from
Chrysler? Or is the Britax Laptop safe? What about the
EZ-ON 86-Y harness? The pictures of it online don't
show any chest latch on the straps. Seems like the child would go right through the strap in an accident.
Help! I need some ideas.

ADS
C

Caviller

Some comments:

You may be able to have shoulder belts retrofitted. As you know, these are necessary for children in belt-positioning boosters and for adults. See:

childsafety.org/chrysler/crs2a.html

boards2.parentsplace.com/...1/1/1.html

The other restraints you mention are also good choices if used properly within the recommended age/weight ranges. The Britax Super Elite and Fisher Price Futura are also options, though they are difficult to find.

Good luck!

U

UlrikeDG

Because they're so petite, I'd go with a harnessed seat for

the younger one, and maybe the older one, too. The older one is about my son's size (he weighs less, but is 41.5" tall). If your DD is long in the torso, she may not fit in a harnessed seat besides the Britax Super Elite, however. Your children are also safer in a 5 point harness than in just a regular lap/should belt, but obviously, we all outgrow the 5 point harness eventually (and unfortunately, IMO ;) ).

How long do you plan to have this vehicle? If you're going to drive it "into the dirt", retro fitting shoulder belts is a good idea. If you're only going to have it for another 6-12 months, it may not be necessary.

Seats that I'd consider without the shoulder belts would be:
Britax King
Britax Freeway/Expressway
Britax Laptop
Britax Super Elite (very hard to find)
Century NextStep DX/MX
Evenflo Apollo
Evenflo Express
Fisher Price Futura (Very, very hard to find; the overhead bar version is available through AAFES if you are a military family.)
Graco CarGo (There are 3+ different versions of this seat; be sure to get one with a 5 point harness that can be adjusted from the front.)
Maxi Cosi Priori

All of these seats are front facing only. Some of them convert to belt positioning booster, but you must have shoulder belts to use that feature. If you have any questions about any of these seats, please ask. I personally have lots of experience with Britax seats, and they are *MY* favorite, but any of these seats may work for you in your vehicle and with your children.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC