Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unregistered

CARSEAT rear facing vs car SEAT rear facing

Ok - hopefully this isn't too confusing... I have a full size van with currently 3 kids in carseats across the 3rd row back bench. The van has 2 bucket seats in the front for driver/passenger, 2 bucket seats in the middle that are removeable, and a bench row in the back. Little guy is currently in his Snugride facing rear of course in row 3 (he's 19 pounds, 7 mos). He'll be moving into a bigger seat soon - we have a Cosco Alpha Omega he'll be using in the rear facing position. He has to be in row 2 now because in a full size van there is no side access to the 3rd row - if we put him in the Cosco in row 3 we'd have to basically shimmy him in and out every time from over the top of the seat which isn't very reasonable.

So here's the question for the technical installers out there... our row 2 has these great bucket seats (now I'm talking about the actual car SEAT) that can be installed rear facing, so that whoever sits there, child, adult, etc can face each other while traveling. Is there any reason I can't install the Cosco CARSEAT front facing in the seat and install the SEAT rear facing so that my child is now rear facing? I figure it is easy to get him in & out, he has more leg room, AND he gets the added benefit of looking at his big brother and sister for entertainment. But if there are known safety concerns I'll have to go to a different plan. Hmm.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads