Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Fanatic

Nautilus crotch buckle question

I finally saw a Nautilus at the local WalMart yesterday. Looks nice, but I think I'll hold out for the Galaxy pattern at BRU before seriously considering it.

Anyway, I wondered how those who are already using the seat find the operation of the crotch buckle in practice? I was surprised to see that you have to push downward (not push a button in toward the child, as on most/all other seats I have seen) to release the buckle. It felt pretty awkward to do on the display model. Maybe it was just my angle w.r.to the seat, or the fact that there wasn't a child in it? Or is it harder to operate?

Also, I was struck by how small/narrow the buckle tongues look on this seat. I'm sure it's been tested, but it seemed surprising that the tongues looked smaller on this HWH seat than on all the other lower weight rated seats on the shelves next to it.

Does anyone know if WalMart puts returns back out for sale? I am tempted to try the seat to see if it actually fits in my car (it's really marginal according to measurements, and I would have to try it to be sure). I wouldn't snap the armrests all the way in, so I could repackage it for return. I know some places have policies of destroying returns, and I wouldn't want to risk that, just to do a trial fit.... Maybe I should just wait for BRU to stock the seat, since they do allow you to take display models outside.

Katrin

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Nautilus crotch buckle question

I know that the safeseat1's by graco have the "pull down" buckle-- I actually find it easier, but thats the ss1, not the nautilus.
    "Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't." - Bill Nye

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by singingpond View Post
    I finally saw a Nautilus at the local WalMart yesterday. Looks nice, but I think I'll hold out for the Galaxy pattern at BRU before seriously considering it.

Anyway, I wondered how those who are already using the seat find the operation of the crotch buckle in practice? I was surprised to see that you have to push downward (not push a button in toward the child, as on most/all other seats I have seen) to release the buckle. It felt pretty awkward to do on the display model. Maybe it was just my angle w.r.to the seat, or the fact that there wasn't a child in it? Or is it harder to operate?

Also, I was struck by how small/narrow the buckle tongues look on this seat. I'm sure it's been tested, but it seemed surprising that the tongues looked smaller on this HWH seat than on all the other lower weight rated seats on the shelves next to it.

Does anyone know if WalMart puts returns back out for sale? I am tempted to try the seat to see if it actually fits in my car (it's really marginal according to measurements, and I would have to try it to be sure). I wouldn't snap the armrests all the way in, so I could repackage it for return. I know some places have policies of destroying returns, and I wouldn't want to risk that, just to do a trial fit.... Maybe I should just wait for BRU to stock the seat, since they do allow you to take display models outside.

Katrin
    I think it depends on the Walmart. I have purchased what I thought was a new seat only to get it home and find cracker crumbs in it. That was not from our local store, that was from the store in Kitchener/Waterloo. I know from experience that our local Walmart says they destroy returned car seats.

So, you may have to ask the store you would be buying it from.

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

I like the push-down buckle. Feels less intrusive to the "personal space" of the child. I think it would probably be easier for an escape artist to get out of, though.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

I don't find it any easier or harder than the push-button seats that we've had before (and I agree with the PP that I like not having to push the buckle into the child's "space"), but DS does seem to have a bit more trouble with it sometimes.
    CPST & Mommy to three wonderful kiddos...
    DS#1 - 12.5 years - Seatbelt
    DS#2 - 10 years - Backless TB
    DD - 5 years - Flora XTSL & Orange Parkway

Carseat Crazy

At first I wasnt sure of the push down buckle... but I too agree it makes "personal space" isssues better. I also think it would be nearly impossible for a child to release on their own. Its harder to open than a traditional buckle but not bad once you are used to it. I still think the FPSVD buckles are easier to use.

The skinny little tongs caught my eye too... I'm thinking *this* is supposed to restrain 65lbs? But then if u think about it the buckle doesnt really take the full blow of force... the shell of the car seat takes most of it. I'm just trusting Graco on that one. I have noticed that when releasing the tongs sometimes they get hung up and you have to turn them back to straight with the holes to get them out... or give it a little shake.

My 3.10yo can fully buckle himself into the GN... I just have to loosen the harness a tad so its easier. I always tighten it back up. He can NOT un buckle any part of it.. not even the chest cliip.

So to sum it up, its just different. Not bad, just different.

My walmart resells returns in perfect condition that have thier boxes.

Just got mine about an hr ago. My daughter will be 4 next week & she can buckle & unbuckle it herself. She's quite excited about this. She knows not to EVER unbuckle it when we're driving though. She undid the chest clip on her ET once & we had a very firm chat about never doing that again & she hasn't.

I actually find the push down button on the GN much easier to use than any of the push in buttons I have ever used. I can always do it with just one hand, where with some of our other seats I actually had to use both hands to push in the button to get them to un-lock.

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

Our Walmart definitely restocks returned seats.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55