Another misuse rant...beware

Mama!

I pulled up next to a very old dodge caravan and had to peer inside as I waited for my drink at Sonic.

I see a tiny tiny baby, maybe 6 mos old, sitting in 2nd row captains chair.

FF in a Scenera.:( holding a scuzzy cheap bottle. She was super tiny.

then, in 3rd row, I see this big kid sitting on something that I couldn't identify. I thought it might be a booster, except I could see the seatbelt still hanging from the wall. I kept staring, and I see the chest clip in his lap. He was sitting on the straps. With his big fluffy marshmallow coat. It was some sort of carseat with a harness, but it wasnt installed.

THey finally noticed me staring and I stopped, but I wanted to cry. I know there are no side airbags in that van. I actually prayed they wouldn't get hit.:thumbsdown:

ADS

jdubsm

:(. I hope they will be ok and someone will talk to the parents.

It probably wouldn't make a difference. I talked with a mom at my girl's school one day that had her less than one yr old ff in the vehicle installed car seat(what do you call those) with very loose straps and the two year old on the seat next to her with a regular seat belt. I nicely mentioned that they both really needed to be in proper car seats and she said that she knew that but didn't have the time to go get some. It's been months and they are still riding like that. :( The five year old sits in the front seat passenger side too with no booster.

Zaiyne

:mad: Poor babies.
I was with my mom the other day and started shaking my head and fussing about this guy putting a 4ish boy in what appeared to be an old century 5pt booster... with the seat belt over the seat using the harness with a thick jacket on. How the heck do you use a 5pt without the seatbelt getting in the way when you put it over the seat and harness before the kid gets in? Guess the fact that the harness doesn't fit right doesn't cross their mind? They were leaving a parking lot and I noticed a convertible seat on the very back bench.. why did I notice it because it tipped over to its side. Guess they put the kid in that harness before putting the seatbelt over them :eek:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ugh, I hear you. Saturday at the mall's parking lot I saw a baby probably around 9 mos old riding in the mom's lap in the front passenger seat of a minivan as they're leaving the mall.

On the way there I saw a kid tiny enough that I'm sure she legally had to be in a harnessed seat still sitting in the front seat in front of an airbag. The kid was so tiny she couldn't even see over the dash. :(

Young kids in front of airbags really angers me. But not quite as much as people choosing to hold their kids instead of using a carseat. :thumbsdown:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It probably wouldn't make a difference. I talked with a mom at my girl's school one day that had her less than one yr old ff in the vehicle installed car seat(what do you call those) with very loose straps and the two year old on the seat next to her with a regular seat belt. I nicely mentioned that they both really needed to be in proper car seats and she said that she knew that but didn't have the time to go get some. It's been months and they are still riding like that. :( The five year old sits in the front seat passenger side too with no booster.

IME It doesn't hurt to try though as you did with the Mom from school. I have ran into parents around here that truly did not know and changed stuff right then. I have stopped people for loose harnesses, expired seats, FF to yound, using aftermarket products, non booster use or boosters to young. Most are very reseptive. I have had a few that don't care to hear what I have to say or "they know". I would rather try than read about that child in the paper and wonder if the parent knew or they just had a disreguard for safety.

mommy2zander+baby

Senior Community Member
A friend & I actually talked to a mama at BK who really didn't realize her 1 year old needed to have a new carseat because the infant seat couldn't ff. And her son (tall & staulky) was also way over the weight limit. Thank goodness we talked to her, cause she really wanted the help & let my friend run over to kmart right next door with her debit card (what a trusting mama) to get her a seat! She also was so happy to have us show her how to correctly tighten the harness.

This was all from peaking into a car in the parking lot. Luckily when all the other mamas with babies left, we asked if that was her car & if we could help her with her car seat.

We also have been known to leave "very considerate" notes on cars if we see "serious could be deadly" mis-use. I think being very considerate is the biggest thing. No mama wants others thinking she isn't caring for her kiddos well...

But I think if you have the time & patience at that moment, it doesn't hurt to try to help!

finleysmommy

It's even worse when it's your relatives doing things like this. :( I have one who just doesn't seem to care because I've given lots of info... to no avail.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It's even worse when it's your relatives doing things like this. :( I have one who just doesn't seem to care because I've given lots of info... to no avail.

Or friends. I have a friend who obviously did not read what I sent her about her DD FF in a EB 3 in 1. I told her her DD had to be 22 lbs AND 34 inches tall. She just told me the other day she realized her DD is not tall enough. She is only 30-31 inches. I told her i sent her all of this when she bought the seat nearly a year ago. She dis reguarded though. She won't turn her RF again though.

luvmy2

:( It makes me so sad reading stuff like this. I see car seat misuse daily in this area I live in. I also have family members and close friends that totally disregard any info I try to give them.. it's like they just don't care. Yesterday I was just happy to see my friend's child in a 5 point seat, instead of the booster I saw him riding in a few months back (he's 2.5, 26 lbs). :(

Seriously, most children around here don't even ride in car seats. The law in OH is 4 years & 40 lbs & they can ride in a seat belt only.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC