Turning a 12 month old.....

brooklynsmommy

My cousin has a daughter who is a chunk. She has the most delicious legs! The problem, is that she is constantly getting bad advice from her doctor about car seat usage. First they told her to use the bucket seat until she was a year. Even though she was obvisously way over the limit. She recently (FINALLY!!!)bought a MA for her. The other day she stated that she is going to need to turn her around on longer trips because she screams because she can't look up and see mom. The doctor told her that her legs are almost touching the back of the seat and once they do, to turn her around so that she can't push against the seat. She states that she knows that rear facing is best, but her daughter just turned a year on Wednesday!!! I'm just completely at a loss as to what to say to her. When she brought it up at her birthday party on saturday, I was talking about why she needed to keep her rear facing. My mom sat there and and told her that she needed to make the best decision for HER! :mad: I was fuming! She is just barely a year old.
This is her at 10 months.
harper.jpg

ADS

Ali

It's very frustrating, isn't it?

I have 3 friends who have turned their DDs (all younger than mine) for what I consider lame reasons (convenience, child battling, etc).

I personally couldn't live with myself if something happened to DD and I had not put her in the safest situation possible.

I just hope and pray nothing happends to them!

minismom

I'd email her links to the youtube video, the AAP's recommendation and some other articles on ERF. I'm sure that baby still has plenty of room RF in the MA. Oh, the AAP site will be very useful and make sure you point out that her pediatrician is giving advice contrary to the AAP. Also find online the manual to the infant seat she had and show her where it says she needs 1" of shell above her head and what the weight limit is, so you can once again discredit the pediatrician for saying to keep her there regardless of her size.
After all that, if she still turns her there's nothing you can do and you have your conscience clear.

Amaris

First off, what a cutie! She's looks to be about the size of my dd, who is 8 months today! That being said, dd's feet already touch the back of the seat when she's in her marathon. If I used that reasoning I would be turning my 8 month 21lb dd ff already :eek: Definately try to talk to her, but I would do it in a one on one situation. She is probably more likely to listen if there aren't others there telling her anything else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC