Combi recall

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
February 2008
Safety Recall Notice
Dear Combi Centre, Centre ARB and Shuttle Owner:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor
Vehicle Safety Act.
Combi USA, Inc. of Fort Mill, SC has decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the Centre,
Centre ARB and Shuttle (Model # 8065, 8074, 8086, 8087and 8520) and associated Travel
Systems containing Centre and Shuttle (Model # 4400, 4515, 4520). This recall includes the
entire production of this model from October 2005 through December 2007. No other models are
affected.
Reason For The Recall
Combi USA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada
recently conducted numerous laboratory tests (in many cases these tests exceeded the
requirements of the current US standard) to analyze the overall effectiveness of the Centre and
Shuttle car seats in motor vehicle frontal crashes. This test data revealed that the car seat could
potentially become separated from its base under these conditions.
Please be assured that all Centre and Shuttle car seats have consistently met existing
government safety standards. However, because of the separation during testing of vehicles in
impact frontal crashes, Combi is conducting a voluntary recall campaign with the intent of
providing car seats with enhanced protection under frontal impact crash conditions. Combi USA,
Inc. has received no reports of injuries to date regarding the Centre, Centre ARB and Shuttle
Infant Restraints. Our first priority at Combi is to provide the highest level of safety and quality for
the children we protect.
What Action Should You Take?
We urge you to contact us to obtain the free retrofit kit. To place an order, please visit our website
at www.combi-intl.com, or call Combi Consumer Relations Department at 1 800 543 7734
Monday through Thursday between 8AM and 5PM EST, Friday between 8AM and 3PM. If you
have passed your Centre and/or Shuttle Infant Restraint along to a friend or neighbor, please
share this information with them. You will not incur any shipping costs and your order will arrive
within 6-8 weeks. In the meantime, Combi recommends that consumers use the Combi Centre
and Shuttle without the base until the retrofit kit is installed. Please refer to your instruction
manual for proper installation without the base. These seats are designed for and safe to use
without the base.
Questions
Please visit our website at www.combi-intl.com, or call Combi Consumer Relations Department
at 1 800 543 7734 with questions concerning this issue. Please have your Centre and Shuttle
Infant Restraint in front of you when you access our website or call.
If you believe that we failed or were unable to remedy this issue without charge or within a
reasonable time, you may wish to write to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, DC 20590 or call the toll free Vehicle
Safety Hotline at (888-327-4236) or visit NHTSA’s website at www.nhtsa.gov.
We apologize for this inconvenience, but we’re taking this action in the interest of your child’s
safety and to ensure your trust in our products.
Sincerely,
Combi USA, Inc.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

those CR tests strike again.

any guesses who will be next?

Combi USA, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada
recently conducted numerous laboratory tests (in many cases these tests exceeded the
requirements of the current US standard)
what's the likelihood they'll change the NHTSA and TC standards?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
those CR tests strike again.

any guesses who will be next?

what's the likelihood they'll change the NHTSA and TC standards?

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Interesting to see these recalls taking place due to testing being done that exceeds current standards.

Likelihood of changing standards? Hard to say... TC has recently changed standards requiring energy absorbing material in any area that can be contacted by the head, and has changed the regulations to allow 65lb weight limit seats. So whether this means that they won't change anything for awhile, or that they're in the mood to change more things while they're at it, who knows. :whistle: :p

Bureaucratic change is always slow though, but I think there has long been movement afoot in the CPS community requesting more stringent standards, so perhaps the legislative change is on it's way and companies are making recalls in the meantime?

Maybe it's also the reason why more companies are saying they've tested their seats to NCAP standards?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It really does make you wonder how many seats have to fail the exceeded testing for them to raise the standards.

Mara1973

TC discovered this last week when 4 tested seats released from their bases. I always wonder how many they are actually testing, because even if it were say 100....4 would be 4%...ouch.

Mara :)

momtoM&D

So it sounds like my Centre EX is ok right? I'm not using it anymore, but was hanging onto it to pass on...

Last edited:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
So it sounds like my Centre EX is ok right? I'm not using it anymore, but was hanging onto it to pass on...

As long as you do not have one of the recall models it is fine.
Combi USA, Inc. of Fort Mill, SC has decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall of the Centre,
Centre ARB and Shuttle (Model # 8065, 8074, 8086, 8087and 8520) and associated Travel
Systems containing Centre and Shuttle (Model # 4400, 4515, 4520). This recall includes the
entire production of this model from October 2005 through December 2007. No other models are
affected.

cryswilkins

Awww crap, I had a Combi Centre for Zoe, I passed it on to a former co-worker. Now I am going to have to try to get in contact with her. I am not sure of the modle or anything, because she has the manual and all that stuff.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Awww crap, I had a Combi Centre for Zoe, I passed it on to a former co-worker. Now I am going to have to try to get in contact with her. I am not sure of the modle or anything, because she has the manual and all that stuff.

Did you register it under your name? If so they may be able to pull up the info.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC