Is the BRITAX Laptop still safe?

courtfrog2

I have one that was manufactured end of 2002? It's not expired, but is it safe? Any articles on it? Just curious. It's brand new. I haven't used it because it was discontinued.

Thanks,

Courtney

ADS

daycaremom2002

How long are Laptops good for? Do they have the same 6 expiration as other seats? I have one, but it is rarelly used, so I guess I need to check the date on it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, it is still safe :) It has not yet expired & they were only discontinued because they couldn't add LATCH anchors to it (I *really* wish they'd figure out how!)

My 6 y.o. is just at the height limit of our 2002 Laptop. She is still using it in our housemate's old Volvo because her particular vehicle is very incompatable with any other option. Ideally it should be used in the center, but knowing that this is the safest option considering the circumstances, I feel fine buckling kiddo into it.

Also, I've talked with other CPST/Is about this & for my own personal use, I feel comfortable using the Laptop until 10 years after DOM because that is NHTSA's absolute cut-off & because the Laptop does not have a hard plastic shell which could crack. Using it after the 6 year mark would be a drastic last resort option, but one that I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of under specific circumstances.

The Laptop crash tests like a 5 point harness. It just lacks side impact protection. When it can be used in the center and/or the vehicle has rear side curtain airbags, then this is not a major concern at all. The Laptop may very have saved another CPST's children's lives (she is also a mod here & may respond with her story, but you can use the Search feature to find more threads on this seat, too).

I love our Laptop & feel immensly grateful to the CPST-I who sent it to us to meet our indivual needs :love: If I had a more typical harness option that could meet our needs, then the Laptop would be a spare, but the Laptop is the only seat that our needs so I use it with confidence ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC