Booster for 100 pound/6 1/2 year old?

I do daycare 4 times a month adn honestly rarely take them anywhere, but come summer we might go different places. I only have them 4 hours a day(normally my other daycare kids are gone or almost gone when they are here).

I put his younger brother(2 years old(3 in August))-55 pounds, 42 inches in the Regent and put my oldest son(5 years old, 45 pounds) in a High back booster.

Now...parents don't have the younger one in the right seat(scenera with a seatbelt around it :(), and oldest one in nothing, but he is 6 years old(7 in May). He is a big kid. but, doesn't pass the 5-step test I don't think). I put him in this when Id o take him somewhere, but the limit is 100 pounds and honestly he is a wide kid
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5716971

Eitehr way is a Cosco Booster ok to put him in ?

I am at loss..... Mabey when I have him next week, I will take pictures of him in the seats to see?
Law here is 8/80/4'9

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Scenera instructions DO say you can use it as a booster...I guess you can't blame parents for believing them... :eek: (Isn't that sick? Why no recall?????)

I would personally happily use a High Rise with a 100 pound kid, even if they slightly exceeded the weight limit...all it's doing is boosting the kid up so the seatbelt fits, and keeping the lapbelt low on the hips...and that's a fairly wide and comfy one for a good price (Combi Dakota and Cosco Prospect are possibly a tad larger, but a good deal more expensive)

:twocents:

OMG! They do say that? I am going to have to read my instructions to see if they do! OH NO!
I keep telling the parents:whistle: that they need a regent for him(a nautilus won't even work hei s 55 pounds to close to the 65 pound weight limit).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Scenera instructions DO say you can use it as a booster...I guess you can't blame parents for believing them... :eek: (Isn't that sick? Why no recall?????)

???? and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know that I'd go over the limit with the low back booster. The Monarch or another seat where a rep has said that there isn't really an upper limit, ok, but without a phone call to Dorel I wouldn't do it. In addition to boosting the child up the seat takes some of the forces off of the child's hips. And a child over the weight limit of that booster, I don't know if it'd hold. Or it may not matter in the least.

You keep saying that's a wide booster. LOL I bought it because it was cheap, but I find it fits in narrower places than the Turbobooster and sometimes Piper's Parkway. I guess it's the exterior shape of it, it's not as boxy as the Turbo.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

I would use the backless booster that way... it's been discussed by techs on other boards as better than an ill-fitting belt.

But I had no idea about the Scenera saying that in the instructions... I'm gonna have to read them again.

I'd prefer the prospect backless (that seems to have disappeared from the market)... it's wider and more sturdy feeling) or the combi dakota (also wider)

But unless passing the 5-step test, I wouldn't take him out of a booster.

I have a nephew who is in that position and even my ILs now see why I say weight is not enough.

So, should I get a combi instead??? Either way I am going to check him out for the 5-step test and in the boosters(i ahve the graco backless and cosco cheapy 15.00 seat) and see what he does better in. Ughhh!!!
So, it is ok to go over the weight limit? I bet by summer he will be 120 pounds(parents don't care if he gains or not :mad:)....and brother will be around 60 pounds I bet.
But, for 4 times a month the most places i would go with them would be to the city water park 3 miles from our house.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The Prospect? is a very wide backless booster that are pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. I would go over the weight limit as well if the choices were that or seatbelt only. The new Monterey will go to 120#, but it's $130.

If I had this child every day or at least a few days a week I would spend the $$$$$$ on a new seat for him, but since it is only 4 times a month and far as I would go with him would be 5 miles tops, I will just go over the weight limit of the booster :confused: right????
Ughh, such hard decisions...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If I had this child every day or at least a few days a week I would spend the $$$$$$ on a new seat for him, but since it is only 4 times a month and far as I would go with him would be 5 miles tops, I will just go over the weight limit of the booster :confused: right????
Ughh, such hard decisions...
Well, as a CPST, I cannot officially advise you to either go over the limit or use a belt that does not fit. Of those choices, I think using a booster over the limit is a far safer choice -- even if the booster does fail, the child will have been restrained at the moment of impact.

I didn't read carefully the first time, however, and didn't realize he wasn't your child. Honestly, I think that I would refuse to transport him unless an appropriate restraint was provided.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
???? and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know that I'd go over the limit with the low back booster. The Monarch or another seat where a rep has said that there isn't really an upper limit, ok, but without a phone call to Dorel I wouldn't do it. In addition to boosting the child up the seat takes some of the forces off of the child's hips. And a child over the weight limit of that booster, I don't know if it'd hold. Or it may not matter in the least.

You keep saying that's a wide booster. LOL I bought it because it was cheap, but I find it fits in narrower places than the Turbobooster and sometimes Piper's Parkway. I guess it's the exterior shape of it, it's not as boxy as the Turbo.

Wendy

It's all about where the seat flares... the Evenflo Right Fit is only 9 inches at the back of the back, but it is many huge kids' favorite seat...it's got wide thigh area...which is also the case with the High Rise...whereas the Turbo is like squishing a kid into a box :D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So, should I get a combi instead??? Either way I am going to check him out for the 5-step test and in the boosters(i ahve the graco backless and cosco cheapy 15.00 seat) and see what he does better in. Ughhh!!!
So, it is ok to go over the weight limit? I bet by summer he will be 120 pounds(parents don't care if he gains or not :mad:)....and brother will be around 60 pounds I bet.
But, for 4 times a month the most places i would go with them would be to the city water park 3 miles from our house.

Yeah, test him in both of those seats for us, tell us which he prefers. The High Rise I know is better for 11 year olds, but maybe stocky 6 yo's have a different experience :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC