*IS* the Premier the same as the 80?

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Just wondering aloud here...

I know it's been said the Radian 80 is supposed to have beefier internal components (heavier guage steel, etc.,) to support its higher weight limit. Do we know whether the Canadian Premier also has the stronger frame since it's only rated to 65lbs, or does it just have the prettier covers? I could see SKJP just dressing up the 65s for the Canadian market - they'd be saving themselves a lot of money and not compromising safety.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Just wondering aloud here...

I know it's been said the Radian 80 is supposed to have beefier internal components (heavier guage steel, etc.,) to support its higher weight limit. Do we know whether the Canadian Premier also has the stronger frame since it's only rated to 65lbs, or does it just have the prettier covers? I could see SKJP just dressing up the 65s for the Canadian market - they'd be saving themselves a lot of money and not compromising safety.

When the 80 first became available word had it it was identical to the 65 internally except for cushioning/pillows. Of course people didn't want to pay more if they thought it was identical, so then there was some sort of release about there being some differences.

I'm not really sure about the internal differences between the 65 & the 80, what they are (or if there are actually any,) and I don't think they're visible at the very least. So who knows if the premier is the same as the 80 or if it's a dressed up 65. :shrug-shoulders:

Even heavier kids don't usually make it to 80lbs in the 80 model though....

So basically, I have no clue if the premier is the same as the 80.
Is there a reason you're asking?

mommy_quigg

In my manual, it says not to install with LATCH after 65 lbs, to use the seatbelt instead. I don't know the exact wording because it's in the car, but it's something to that effect. The limit on the seat is 65 lbs, which makes me think they were just lazy when they reprinted the manual for Canada. So IMO the Radian Premier is the Radian80.

unityco

In my manual, it says not to install with LATCH after 65 lbs, to use the seatbelt instead... The limit on the seat is 65 lbs, which makes me think they were just lazy when they reprinted the manual for Canada. So IMO the Radian Premier is the Radian80.

Ahh, but in the States, the LATCH limit on the Radian is only 48lbs... so it could still be a rewrite of the 65's manual. (The American version would read "don't install with LATCH after 48lbs, use the seatbelt instead.)

:shrug-shoulders:

BudgieStew

From what I recall the difference between the two besides the pillows was the type of steel used in the 80.
It was supposed to be stronger grade.

unityco

From what I recall the difference between the two besides the pillows was the type of steel used in the 80.
It was supposed to be stronger grade.

That's what my question is... if the 80 uses the stronger steel, did that stronger steel get used in the Premier? (There's really no need, since the Premier isn't rated to 80lbs here, but maybe they did anyway.) I'm just curious to know!

BudgieStew

Sorry I glanced at the OP and did not pick up all the details. Sickness and lack of sleep going on here.
Must stay away from replying on message boards when in brain fog.

I would bet that it is the same as the 80 being sold in U.S.

But if in doubt e-mail SKJP to clarify. And then hope you get a straight forward answer.

unityco

Sorry I glanced at the OP and did not pick up all the details. Sickness and lack of sleep going on here.

No worries! I hope you're feeling better soon!

But if in doubt e-mail SKJP to clarify.

I kinda doubt they would say it is the same - I think they'd be afraid of the caller using it to 80lbs (not that most kids are going to fit in it at that weight anyway.) Whenever I've contacted manufacturers in the past (mostly regarding RF weight limits) they've claimed that the Canadian seats are absolutely different than the American ones (not that I believe them, but that's the line they've fed me! ;)) Then again, I'm only contacting them as an average Joe consumer, not as a technical professional (they don't know I hang out here. ;))

Thanks for indulging me :eek:

BudgieStew

IDK Russ has been pretty free with the information that the 48lb and the 65lb Radian are the same.
It was even passed on to a few local retailers that it was the case and who in turn passed it on to their consumers.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Russ was pretty free with the info that the 65 and 80 are exactly the same in the US, too. THEN they had to back up and spread the rumour that it's stronger internally ;)

I'm quite sure the same factory line is cranking out seat shells there in China and the covers and labels are applied afterwards making them seem like they are all different seats.

:thumbsup:

Mommy090804

Russ was pretty free with the info that the 65 and 80 are exactly the same in the US, too. THEN they had to back up and spread the rumour that it's stronger internally.

I'm quite sure the same factory line is cranking out seat shells there in China and the covers and labels are applied afterwards making them seem like they are all different seats.

I certainly don't have a degree in marketing, but wouldn't there be an advantage marketing all the Radians to the 80lb weight limit? If they are the same seat, then wouldn't the 65lb Radian pass the same testing that the Radian80 did?

As we know, most parents don't know much about height of the harness slots, but rather go by weight limit when making a decision to buy a seat. Do you think Sunshine Kids would sell more Radians if they were all rated to 80lbs? If I was uninformed, I would compare the Radian to the Regent, and would likely pick the Radian because it RFs and FFs to 80lbs.

(Sorry, I know this is deviating from the Radian80 vs Premier topic...)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
People pay more dollars per pound... they know people will fork over more money for a seat with higher limits (ever witness folks at BRU wondering why you'd buy a Marathon when the AO goes to 80 or 100 pounds instead of just 65)? So people have two choices...they think they are getting more pounds for their higher price, or think they are getting a bargain on the one with the lower weight limit, and SK gets their money either way.

I think... :confused:

The CDN set up is so much more honest... the weight limits aren't so grandiose, and you know you are just paying more for nicer covers and padding :thumbsup:

unityco

Maybe my question can't be answered without a definitive answer to "is the 80 really any different than the 65?" lol!

U

Unregistered

I wonder if weighing the seats would help figure this out? Maybe the beefier steel is heavier?

April

Just looked on the website at the Radian 80, Radian 65, and CDN Radian Premier (the regular Radian does not seem to be listed), and they all weigh 22lbs! Hmmmm......

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC