Restoring Classic Cars & Seatbelts

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Does anyone have any resources or articles I can send my dad to encourage him to add lap/shoulder belts to the truck he is restoring? He said it originally didn't come with seatbelts at all, so he doesn't "have" to add them (legal exemption?), but he was thinking about adding lap-only belts. *shudder*

I don't think the problem is that it won't "look authentic," as he's already made other concessions for comfort/economy, but he just doesn't seem to understand why he should go through the added trouble of finding a location for the retractors when lap-only belts would be easier.

Of course, now that I think on it... if I point out that I won't let his grandkids ever ride in his "old truck" without a lap/shoulder belt, that should convince him...

Anyway, if anyone has some resources from a restorer's perspective, I'd appreciate it. :)

ADS

jdubsm

What's he building Debbie? How old of a truck is it?

My dh is rebuilding his grandpa's '71 Chevy pick up. It only had lapbelts in it originally and he's putting in 4pt harnesses. http://www.rjsracing.com/offroad.html Do you think these look like a safe option to use with Parkways. DH doesn't think that Idaho has an exclusion and that if you are rebuilding a car then you have to add them in. He knows quite a few people that have had to add seatbelts to rebuilt vehicles.

beeman

As for articles, nothing :p . Older vehicles do pose a challenge for installing a shoulder belt, mainly because the vehicle was never intended to have one, so the necessary structural members and body design for ease of operation likely will not be present. Lap belts are much easier to install, because the points for installing them are fairly easy to access, and will likely be strong enough for a safe install. I know you're a fan of the 86Y harness, and this or another 4 pt. harness may be an easier and safer option compared to an after market lap/shoulder belt assembly. What era is this truck from?

beeman

In Saskatchewan, seat belt assemblies are not required to be installed if the vehicle was not equipped from factory. However, passengers under 16 years of age can not ride in a vehicle without being properly restrained in a child restraint or working seat belt device.

Defrost

Thanks for the replies! It's a '53 Ford Pickup. I don't think state laws will apply; this is all it says:
...each occupant of a motor vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight of not more than eight thousand (8,000) pounds, and which was manufactured with safety restraints in compliance with federal motor vehicle safety standard no. 208, shall have a safety restraint properly fastened about his body at all times when the vehicle is in motion.
Looks like FMVSS 208 wasn't effective until 1968.

I'm mostly concerned about my parents' safety, moreso than my kids. My kids won't be riding in it very often (possibly even not at all...) but my parents are talking about taking rather long road trips in it once it's finished. He's pretty much finished with the engine and exterior, and is working on the interior now, so I'm thinking he might actually get it done by the end of the year!

I think the 4-pt harnesses that were posted would be ideal, moreso than the 86Y since it was designed for kids, not adults. But considering the fact that he's barely considering lap-belts, I'm not sure I can convince him. I'll have to see what I can do.

southpawboston

here's advice from someone who has done restorations:

i would go the extra mile to install a lap/shoulder belt, but i would never trust it to secure a carseat. there's no guarantee that the structural supports to which the anchor points are attached will be strong enough in a severe crash. in cars made since the 3-pt requirement, the areas around the 3 anchor points are reinforced by design. on the '53 ford, that will not be the case, as beeman pointed out above.

i don't know of any articles to point you to, but it's easy enough to find 3-pt lap/shoulder belts. some don't even have a retractor (the earliest 3-pt belts back in the 60s didn't have them either). some just have locking latchplates and that's it... with a long tail of strap hanging off of the latchplate. those are easier to install, but you can also find retractor ones as well. they cost a little more.

Synchro246

I've been trying to convince my own DH to at least replace the seatbelts in his '71 with new ones that look the same OR to at least use the ones that are in there. He won't :(
I have banned the kids from riding in it (obviously) and it didn't make a diffence to him, though he complains that it's "boring" to ride alone.
In the early stages of planning the car he *almost* went for racing seats with 5pt harnesses. We even ordered inexpenisve seats, but they were about as comfortable as the Cosco Apex and they looked rediculous so he scrapped it.

I'm scared every time he drives it.

Defrost

I talked to him about it some more yesterday and he seemed more interested - I think he just hadn't got around to thinking about it yet, so my first conversation kind of threw him. I played the "my kids can't ride in lap-only belts" card and that seemed to make him think, too.

I think what I'm going to do is go ahead and get the 4-pt racing harness to replace the broken seat belt in our Golf; my Dad will get to install it and see how it works, and hopefully will be more open to the idea. I think that would be the safest option, as they bolt to the floor at all points.

Thanks for all the input!

beeman

I had a look at a 51 mercury today (so very similar to the 53 ford), and there would definitely need to be more reinforcement for a shoulder belt assembly. Where the top of the belt goes there is only the single piece of outside tin (newer models are reinforced much better in this area). If possible I would go with the 4 pt racing seats. On this era of truck you also have the obstacle of the fuel tank behind the seat. Good luck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC